Removed.

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Amiui
Projects: The Princess and the Dragon

Removed.

#1 Post by Amiui »

Sorry!
Last edited by Amiui on Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

2dt
Regular

Re: The Princess and the Dragon [Fantasy, KN][NanoReno 2014]

#2 Post by 2dt »

I'm a bit confused. I thought the demi elves and dragons were at war? Why would the main character suddenly defy her brothers wishes and help the dragon?

Also, you have any concept art to show?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#3 Post by noeinan »

I like this idea-- instead of a princess being saved from a dragon, the princess saves a dragon. :D

Also, to give a potential answer to 2dt's question, maybe demi-elves are told that dragons are beasts, unintelligent and uncaring. So she meets him from a safe distance, and learns he is sentient, and has a deeply caring side. Then she decides to save him because what her culture believes of dragons isn't true.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Oh I hope she decides to save Aeos.

By the way welcome to the site Amiui C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Amiui

#5 Post by Amiui »

2dt wrote:I'm a bit confused. I thought the demi elves and dragons were at war? Why would the main character suddenly defy her brothers wishes and help the dragon?

They are at war. As far as why Naniya might defy her brother's wishes and help the dragon, she is nearing the end of a coming of age rite. Basically, I was going to have the game explain more on it. The jist is that she's been undergoing a period where she was given freedom to explore all possible roles within the society, but is having a bit of a rebelling feeling as she can't find any one that seems to fit her.

The period began when she was fifteen, and she is now nineteen. In the game's story, she is only a week away from the end of that freedom of exploration, which would land on her birthday. All demi elves, once they reach the age of twenty, must take on an occupation within the roles provided.

I've put up the colored concept for Naniya, also.

Amiui

#6 Post by Amiui »

daikiraikimi wrote:I like this idea-- instead of a princess being saved from a dragon, the princess saves a dragon. :D

Also, to give a potential answer to 2dt's question, maybe demi-elves are told that dragons are beasts, unintelligent and uncaring. So she meets him from a safe distance, and learns he is sentient, and has a deeply caring side. Then she decides to save him because what her culture believes of dragons isn't true.
It's nice to hear you like the idea.~ (= As for the potential answer, good guess, but not quite right.

Amiui

#7 Post by Amiui »

Googaboga wrote:Oh I hope she decides to save Aeos.

We will see. Thank you for the welcome. (=

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#8 Post by Googaboga »

Just for future reference posting after yourself is called 'double posting' and in general it is something you want to avoid doing. If it's been awhile since anyone has posted and you have something that you'd like to add it's okay but if you just want to reply to multiple people you can do it in one post :]. Like so:

@2dt

Something.

@daikiraikimi

Something.

@Googaboga

Whatever.

Or like this:
2dt wrote:I'm a bit confused. I thought the demi elves and dragons were at war? Why would the main character suddenly defy her brothers wishes and help the dragon?

Something.
daikiraikimi wrote:I like this idea-- instead of a princess being saved from a dragon, the princess saves a dragon. :D

Something.
Googaboga wrote:Oh I hope she decides to save Aeos.

Whatever.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Amiui

#9 Post by Amiui »

@Googaboga

Thanks for letting me know about that. I wasn't sure how to go about replying. I'd never seen a forum that didn't have a multi - quote option available before. >.<; I'll remember to just type out like you suggested.

--------
Update: Monday, March 10, 2014

+ Added music to Main Menu
+ Coding main menu and adding custom images

Amiui

#10 Post by Amiui »

Update: Wedneday, March 12th, 2014

Added a text box into the game.

I will add some screen shots here in a little bit, so as to give an idea of the look in game.

+ added: first in-game music - "Without" , as well as others
+ still coding Menus
+ adding in backgrounds
Last edited by Amiui on Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#11 Post by Evolution »

Were you perhaps inspired by How to Train Your Dragon? The basic premise of a group warring with dragons and the protagonist happening upon an injured one that they decide to rescue despite prejudices that they've previously come to believe is very reminiscent of the aforementioned. Additionally, the way Naniya's profile reads gives the impression that she's a bit of an outcast, similar to the protagonist in HtTYD.

Amiui

#12 Post by Amiui »

Evolution wrote:Were you perhaps inspired by How to Train Your Dragon? The basic premise of a group warring with dragons and the protagonist happening upon an injured one that they decide to rescue despite prejudices that they've previously come to believe is very reminiscent of the aforementioned. Additionally, the way Naniya's profile reads gives the impression that she's a bit of an outcast, similar to the protagonist in HtTYD.
I've actually never seen How to Train Your Dragon, though I have heard of it.

The elves in this story were not always at war with the dragons, and the prejudices come more out of fear due to the mentality they are raised to try to have and the uncertainties of being in a warring state of time. The story itself starts out in the elven city, which is a sort of haven to the main society there. I planned to explain it more in the game. The basics of it are the elves have retreated to this 'haven' city on the cliffs along the river valley due to warring elsewhere in other places they once lived. Humans and other more aggressive races have driven them to hide amongst the forests there.

However, the elves soon found out that dragons also have taken to residing there, somewhere across the river banks below the cliffs and hill on which the city stands. Commoner elves, such as Naniya, have been raised on the outer rim of the city, near the border walls. She isn't an outcast by any means. She is intended to be seen as more of a young person at that awkward stage of becoming more mature while coming of age into adulthood in her society. She is also learning the reality of what is going on around herself, and is beginning to shed the sort of 'blinded eyes' naivety of childhood. By this I mean that she is opening herself to being more exposed and vulnerable to both politics of her race as well as what exists outside of the environment she was raised in.

I hope that helps a bit to explain what I mean and to answer you.

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#13 Post by Evolution »

Now that you've explained it further, it does sound different than how I initially envisioned it. Although, the fighting amongst the vikings and dragons in HtTYD is also due to fear and lack of understanding. But, it's not really a war as portrayed in your story. Thank you for the explanation. :)
I have had situations in the past where I've come up with some grand story only to belatedly realize that it was very similar to something else. Thus, I make a point of mentioning strong similarities when I come across them in others' works as well, in case they might have overlooked them and would prefer not to have them there if they realize how close the two works are.

How to Train Your Dragon is actually quite good, though. :P
You should check it out if ever you get the chance.

Amiui

#14 Post by Amiui »

Evolution wrote:Now that you've explained it further, it does sound different than how I initially envisioned it. Although, the fighting amongst the vikings and dragons in HtTYD is also due to fear and lack of understanding. But, it's not really a war as portrayed in your story. Thank you for the explanation. :)
I have had situations in the past where I've come up with some grand story only to belatedly realize that it was very similar to something else. Thus, I make a point of mentioning strong similarities when I come across them in others' works as well, in case they might have overlooked them and would prefer not to have them there if they realize how close the two works are.

How to Train Your Dragon is actually quite good, though. :P
You should check it out if ever you get the chance.
@Evolution:
Thank you for asking and for not minding me explaining about it. I'm glad that it sounds different, though I hope in a good way. It's nice to have someone point things like that out, because it might save them from the story being too similar to a story or piece already in existence. Thank you for pointing it out.

I do plan to watch the movie in the future if I ever the chance. Though, I think I will try to finish this project first before doing so.

----------

Updates:
- I updated the first post with the redesign of Naniya.
- I had to pause on screenshots of the main menu to rework the background. I had made it too small by mistake. I will try to get that fixed soon.