Halloween otome [GxB] - Tyler's OP EP mp3 + walthrough added

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Halloween otome [GxB] - Tyler's OP EP mp3 + walthrough a

#106 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Darn it. I keep getting sucked back into the thread because of the interesting comments. :lol:

Your primary criticism is actually probably one of my problems with otome games in general (and other romance genres). I didn't really apply it to this game specifically in my review, though maybe I should have. I think I omitted that partly for fear that I would end up shouting about how romance in VNs is generally shallow and superficial, and that would've been unfair to the OP.

Anyway, I think it's more of a genre-wide problem. These types of games tend to focus less on credibility and more on . . . wish fulfillment, I guess. I think the guys are realistic enough for the purposes of the game. They do fit stereotypes, but at least they're interesting takes on the stereotypes. The masquerade idea was what really made this game fun for me---and more fun than I'd expected to have.

(Welcome to the forums, NIP. Trust me: there's no such thing as taking something too seriously---at least not to me. :))
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#107 Post by 15385bic »

Lire wrote:Must post something for this XD.
:mrgreen: Here's link to my review.
http://scan-vn.blogspot.com/2014/02/hal ... .html#more
Thanks so much for this otome <3~
:wink:
thanks for the review =]
notimportantprs wrote: It's just that the way the relationship between the MC and the guys - I played Bandages and the Count - developed felt very superficial to me. Sure, in a setting such as this and over the time of only 2 weeks it's pretty much impossible to develop anything truly substantial, but still, I felt as if something in their interactions was lacking. Partly because the guys were pretty stereotypical - you've got the tsundere, the playboy and the shy guy - and partly because I couldn't really emphasize with the MC. I wish you could've given me more insight into her thoughts during the game; characterization through dialogue is all fine and dandy, but more inner monologues would've been appreciated as well. Coupled with the fact that the guys, in my opinion at least, didn't have a lot of emotional depth or reasons for the way they acted, any connection formed between the guy and the MC didn't feel believable or serious to me. And thus, their supposed 'feelings' and how both the MC and the guys expressed them felt way over the top - because I couldn't see how such deep feelings could've developed between them based upon what had happened so far.
Well I dont believe the time-frame was too short in order to develop feelings considering each guy really only asked her out/or to go steady.
Sure maybe saying "love" seems like its moving fast but really - a lot of people do just throw it around.
Mr Wolf pretty much just asks if she feels the same and just wants to continue to see her. I dont think he says the word.
Also this is really his first romantic relationship so - to him it may feel like love because he has nothing to base it on.
Mr B never says love - an he only comes to her weeks later after he sorts through his feelings and Count... a lot of his "romantic know how" comes from movies where it gets said an awful lot and love at first sight is not rare - he may just think its expected >_>
As for Ems saying it back - first guy she's actually taken seriously/fell for(if it's only said in Counts route it still applies)
Plus no one would join a masquerade for longer than 2 weeks - they all have lives an schedules to maintain.

notimportantprs

#108 Post by notimportantprs »

Mad Harlequin wrote: Anyway, I think it's more of a genre-wide problem. These types of games tend to focus less on credibility and more on . . . wish fulfillment, I guess. I think the guys are realistic enough for the purposes of the game. They do fit stereotypes, but at least they're interesting takes on the stereotypes. The masquerade idea was what really made this game fun for me---and more fun than I'd expected to have.

(Welcome to the forums, NIP. Trust me: there's no such thing as taking something too seriously---at least not to me. :))
Yeah, I tend to agree with you on the fact that it's a genre-wide problem... Still, I've seen otome games, both free and commercial, with awesome characters and romance that didn't feel awkward or forced, so I know it can be done better. Of course, I'm not one to critisize - it's not like I've ever made an otome game - but I do write stories in my free time and I know how hard it can be to make your characters into real people. That's why I left this feedback - I think an outsider's perspective always brings more depth to one's own story.

(Thank you! Although I must disagree with you on this topic - I find that life's much easier if you don't take yourself and the things around you too seriously. ;) It's much more fun, too! Actually, that's also what I would've wanted to see more of in this game - it's supposed to be a funny game, so I wish the whole romance thing would've been less dramatic. But maybe that's just my preference for sarcastic narrators. :D )
15385bic wrote: Well I dont believe the time-frame was too short in order to develop feelings considering each guy really only asked her out/or to go steady.
Sure maybe saying "love" seems like its moving fast but really - a lot of people do just throw it around.
Mr Wolf pretty much just asks if she feels the same and just wants to continue to see her. I dont think he says the word.
Also this is really his first romantic relationship so - to him it may feel like love because he has nothing to base it on.
Mr B never says love - an he only comes to her weeks later after he sorts through his feelings and Count... a lot of his "romantic know how" comes from movies where it gets said an awful lot and love at first sight is not rare - he may just think its expected >_>
Yeah, but the time frame wasn't the only reason it didn't feel believable to me. After playing the Wolf route today, I just really have to say that it's mostly because I couldn't see the MC develop any feelings towards the guys - because I couldn't read her thoughts at all. There were maybe two-three instances of her saying that her heart was beating fast or something, but other than that, there was really no indication at all that she felt something more than friendship towards the others. All the information I as the reader got, I got from dialogue, and there's only so much you can express with that. I wish I could've read her thoughts on the guys, on the doubts she must've had about being 'ordinary', on the fact that all of them have got their own lives to return to, etc etc. I mean, we did get to know that information - but only through her talks with other people, before that, there was no indication at all that she felt that way.

Also, this whole 'you're the only/first girl I met who acts like this' or 'you're so different from other girls' thing is just really a huuuuge pet peeve of mine. ^^

Anyway, again this whole statement falls under the disclaimer of it being my own, personal and subjective opinion. :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#109 Post by Mad Harlequin »

notimportantprs wrote:Yeah, I tend to agree with you on the fact that it's a genre-wide problem... Still, I've seen otome games, both free and commercial, with awesome characters and romance that didn't feel awkward or forced, so I know it can be done better. )
Which otome games are these? I'd like to play them! I haven't yet encountered any VNs with the "otome" label that have developed truly three-dimensional characters and romances . . . granted, my experience is limited to free works at the moment, but still.

That being said, I agree with you that this one has its own set of weaknesses. But I think the guys were just strongly characterized enough that they could be real people if they were not limited to scenarios that include accidental kisses and sudden illnesses. Unfortunately, these seem to be favorite tropes of the genre.
Yeah, but the time frame wasn't the only reason it didn't feel believable to me. After playing the Wolf route today, I just really have to say that it's mostly because I couldn't see the MC develop any feelings towards the guys - because I couldn't read her thoughts at all.
This is actually something I neglected to mention---forgive me! It was a complete oversight on my part. I think I was getting my bearings here and was probably still a little afraid of upsetting people. I completely agree---we really only get to see the MC's reactions to the guys in limited bursts, and usually through dialogue.

But I also acknowledge Bic's point:
Sure maybe saying "love" seems like it's moving fast but really - a lot of people do just throw it around.
I guess what I would like to say is that I encourage both of you to continue exploring plot/character dynamics. I look forward to Bic's next entry, and expect continued growth and improvement. :)

NIP, if you ever create a VN, I will gladly play it and leave feedback. You've clearly put a lot of thought into the importance of character development. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

notimportantprs

#110 Post by notimportantprs »

Mad Harlequin wrote: Which otome games are these? I'd like to play them! I haven't yet encountered any VNs with the "otome" label that have developed truly three-dimensional characters and romances . . . granted, my experience is limited to free works at the moment, but still.
I'll send you a PM, I don't want to spam this thread with unrelated stuff :D

And thanks again! I would if I could get someone to do the programming for me... I just really don't have the time to learn the Ren'Py code lol. And thank you for being understanding of my opinion - I know people on the internet often tend to overreact when it comes to discussions, so this is a nice change of pace. :)

AeraMillenia

#111 Post by AeraMillenia »

I was eagerly waiting for this! I played through all the routes, and needless to say,it was AMAZING.
I loved ALL the characters, my favorite being the one and only....
Eric
!He was quite charming in all those little scenes that we see him. But all the guys were so cute! The routes were well written and had good feelings.
Although the first route I played was Mr.Wolf, my favourite ended up being The Count
obvious reason being that he is actually Eric.
and then came Mr.Wolf and then finally Mr.Bandages. But like I said,I loved all of them.
And that final stage being all horror...I wasn't expecting it at all! But that was one of my favourite parts,the mood was set very well,and the singing was very creepy,not to mention little girls,brrr... :'D
But I loved this! I hope you continue to make more wonderful works like this! Although money would be a problem,ehehe...
Last edited by AeraMillenia on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junesong
Regular

#112 Post by Junesong »

This game is absolutely amazing - I love all the guys equally and cannot decide who my favorite is x3 I hope you guys make more games in the future, this is definitely one of the best ones I've played! Even better than some commercial games - you could without a doubt make it big!

xxxSakura
Regular

#113 Post by xxxSakura »

I've been lurking in the development thread and waiting for this for so long! Guess I got a pleasant surprise when I saw this thread up under Completed Games. :lol: There seems to be a problem with Mediafire, though, I can't seem to get pass the Captcha stage and I'm pretty sure I entered in all the right letters and numbers. Any chance the download link can be hosted on a different server?

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#114 Post by 15385bic »

AeraMillenia wrote:And that final stage being all horror...I wasn't expecting it at all! But that was one of my favourite parts,the mood was set very well,and the singing was very creepy,not to mention little girls,brrr... :'D
Ditto - me and ghost girl's singing <_<''''' i cant do it. MUTE all the way >_>
Junesong wrote:This game is absolutely amazing - I love all the guys equally and cannot decide who my favorite is x3 I hope you guys make more games in the future, this is definitely one of the best ones I've played! Even better than some commercial games - you could without a doubt make it big!
So sweet T^T - i need to get better at colouring and doing bgs though ^^'
We will be trying to make more~ They'll be different from HO though so not sure how people will take that part ^^"
xxxSakura wrote:I've been lurking in the development thread and waiting for this for so long! Guess I got a pleasant surprise when I saw this thread up under Completed Games. :lol: There seems to be a problem with Mediafire, though, I can't seem to get pass the Captcha stage and I'm pretty sure I entered in all the right letters and numbers. Any chance the download link can be hosted on a different server?

you can pm me your email and i can link you to the google drive one (it requires email access/unlock)

xxstrangesoulxx

#115 Post by xxstrangesoulxx »

I love this game. :) The art is amazing, the music is great and the characters are awesome. I love Mr. Wolf and The Count. *_*

Cobweb
Projects: My Father's Apprentice
IRC Nick: Cobweb

#116 Post by Cobweb »

I don’t see any problem with the believability of the protags feelings for the guys (I’ll get to why later), or the guys for her. This is for a number of reasons but I’ll quickly point out two! This gets long, so for your own safety, I've added in a spoiler - spoiler averted because it just looks like a block of white. I tried guys, I tried!

Dun dun dun duuunnnnnn

There are a number of indicators that Miss Archer is developing feelings for the guys: firstly you have her saying as much, either in monologue or on the phone to Mira. And secondly, you control Miss Archer and as such you decide those feelings with the choices you make. That was enough for me, because…

It’s already been said, but this is an otome and otome games give players/readers certain expectations. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for those expectations being broken, but I didn’t play this game thinking that was going to happen. Everything about it gave the impression it was going to be a light-hearted fun romance, with that being said, as long as the feelings were believable within the world and genre, it works. Same way we believe flying broomsticks in fantasy, and an intelligent AI in sci-fi, or even, the swiftness of marriage in a chick flick. I don’t think the creators set out to make a ground breaking otome full of mind games, so it’s difficult to criticise them on this.

Now the real reason I made this account, some truly deserved praise for the two that made this game. Jesus, where do I even start…

The writing, let’s go with that. Writing I can say more about. You know, this is pretty exceptional writing. Good writing isn’t about breaking down boundaries and going out there wanting to shock the world, it’s about there being some freaking style to it and this has it. I don’t know how many visual novels I have played where the writer gets so carried away that you’re made to sit (or in my case, skip) through lines and lines of words that you just don’t need to know, because it’s all filler. How do I know that it is filler? Because half way through the game you’re still skipping but when you stop you somehow manage to pick up exactly where you left off. Okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you get the point! So you’ve got style, but you’ve also got vocabulary game. A common flaw in writing (I see as being a literacy crime, even!) is using the exact same word continuously when a writer has a plethora of others to choose from. I think any person who enjoys reading even a small amount must know what I mean by this. You (Miss/Mr/Mrs Writer/s – circle as appropriate) didn’t do this. For that, I am grateful because it shows a writer who isn’t lazy and won’t settle for the repetition of words when it has a handy synonym sitting around on the sub-bench. Anyway, I have some art to talk about, so down we go!

Ah, I’m sorry that I can’t say much here other than that the art style was definitely to my liking. The Cerberus, he was incredibly cute and if I could get a little figure of that guy I would! Who knows, should you reach the popularity the devs of RE: Alistair++ did maybe you can make some! But yes, I’m not an artist so I can’t say anything more than that they were well designed sprites and I can only imagine the length of time it took to make each of them given they had more than one outfit and a number of different expressions/poses. Was Mr Wolf the most irritating to draw? All that ear movement!

To sum this up, because this is really getting long, I feel like I’ve written you an assignment here! I’ll end on the note that the game worked. The writing was good; the art was good, the pace, the mini-games, the plot, the music –oh wait the music. I had something to add about that. The music was great, the sound effects and the songs, however, there were points when it would stop and then after a few seconds start back up again. Maybe make it a longer loop? I don’t know, I’ve never made an otome before. Also, I’d have liked Erik to have a, what is it? Theme tune? Well, whatever it is, I think it would have been good if there had been one when he gave his announcements. Was there a reason you chose not to play one then?

Anyway, finally, I look forward to your next game. Just… keep that creepy little kid away from me!

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#117 Post by 15385bic »

xxstrangesoulxx wrote:I love this game. :) The art is amazing, the music is great and the characters are awesome. I love Mr. Wolf and The Count. *_*
thanks so much~ - I'm glad you enjoyed it =]
Cobweb wrote: Ah, I’m sorry that I can’t say much here other than that the art style was definitely to my liking. The Cerberus, he was incredibly cute and if I could get a little figure of that guy I would!

I feel like I’ve written you an assignment here!
In regards to kippy - i' want a chibi figuring of him too XD
and thank you for your assignment! It made Corynth an I really happy to know your thoughts about everything T^T <--i'm not even kidding
Glad you enjoyed the game enough to write all that x]

Alice PH
Regular

#118 Post by Alice PH »

Let me start off with...I love you.Yes, I love the damn game, it was one of the few that I really enjoyed in a while *squeal* I mean, I was totally interested in Mr Wolf first but then I'm like, damn Bandages look good in pony tail then Count came over like the whole 'wow-he-looks-like-Imayoshi' thing and I went all head over heel for all of them. Not to mention how fun the soundtracks are! Then there is the creepy ones...I was really scared.
Well mixed, this game overall. It took me more than a few moment to absorb Count's secret, I was kind of like, he is..........Like really, it was really shocking for me xD Waa~ I wished that this game could go on forever :D Like, really, it's nice, like, I don't know how to express and I really like one that was played when protagonist fell down the stairs and...You know.
I really enjoyed all this scene, although some details were kind of skipping and the whole love development thing is still in question but I still find this game awesome :P WEEEEEEEEEEEE
Kippy though. DAMN CUTE. I wanna buy a doll of him~
Ps, this is not a pro review lol, just a random comment.
If you give your words on the game that you will finish.
I will wait. Let it be 2 years,4 years or more ★

Cobweb
Projects: My Father's Apprentice
IRC Nick: Cobweb

#119 Post by Cobweb »

15385bic wrote:and thank you for your assignment! It made Corynth an I really happy to know your thoughts about everything T^T <--i'm not even kidding

Brilliant! I'm really glad it did. :D
Alice PH wrote:I mean, I was totally interested in Mr Wolf first but then I'm like, damn Bandages look good in pony tail.
This made me laugh so much because it's exactly how I felt! :mrgreen:
Quite possibly a spider.

Uncomplicated

#120 Post by Uncomplicated »

Really adored this game a lot! All the love interests were amazing and fleshed out - I could see how easy it is to form an attachment to someone within two weeks. The protagonist was cute as a button and had a delightful personality as well. I've done all the good endings, but I don't think I have the heart to try for any of the bad ones! Each play through would take me about an hour, which is the perfect length for me to sit down and enjoy a game. I hope to see more games from you in the future!