K*A*O*R*I

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Realistic

#46 Post by Realistic »

got it to work, played to all endings. quite interesting, but a lot ( almost all) decisions felt to be matter of factly, i diddnt feel like i had any control in the series of events leading up to it. still, not bad.

-R

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#47 Post by mikey »

You are right, Souji is not the big player in this story, sometimes even helpless, nevertheless I am happy you had a good time playing it. Could you please tell me what the problem was with k.mbd and how you solved it? Did you re-download it, or re-unpack it? Thanks.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#48 Post by chronoluminaire »

mikey wrote:More players! :P
One of the chief things any ren'ai author wants, ne? (Or probably any game author at all!)
mikey wrote: And thank you for the comments, very to the point.
Heh. If that means "Ouch, those were quite sharp in some places" then sorry. I tried to mention as many things I liked as things that bugged me, but I think my sense of tact was on holiday on Wednesday... sorry :oops:

#49 Post by Guest »

:D Nah, those were good comments, and I was expecting criticism exactly the way it came (no music, less story...). Concerning commenting and criticising, I fear the day when the next fan-project will come out, because I have gotten so soft these days that nothing really bugs me anymore (in fan-games) - besides I know each person likes something else, so you can't really make a game that will appeal to everyone.

Most notable example is the b-game Kana. I had no idea about all the hype, and I played the game with an open mind, but I just felt it was so transparent (you HAD to know it wasn't your real sister - given the fact that it had an official English translation), that it was all wannabe tragedy and cheap dialogue for me. I could think of thousands of situations where the dialogue and the situations were so corny, I had to literally battle my way through. The point is, many people liked it and it is only MY point of view.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#50 Post by mikey »

My forgetting-to-log-on streak just keeps on going... :(

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#51 Post by Taleweaver »

/me bashes Mikey for both forgetting to log on and for hating Kana.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#52 Post by Sai »

mikey wrote:My forgetting-to-log-on streak just keeps on going... :(
I think it's time to use the Remember Me function =p *Sai never bothers to log in because she has it set to Remember*
Unless you have a plethora of people who use your computer that is.

Jerails
Veteran

#53 Post by Jerails »

*Has NEVER had to log on EVAR*

...I still haven't played Kaori...

*Drops all current school projects whilst saying, "Screw it, I'm smarter than my teachers anyway." and proceeds to try and play the game.*
It's been a while, folks!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#54 Post by chronoluminaire »

Taleweaver wrote:/me bashes Mikey for both forgetting to log on and for hating Kana.
Teehee. He did say it was just his opinion. I'm a big fan of Kana myself as well, but I can see some of his points, and as he says, everyone's entitled to their own opinion :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#55 Post by mikey »

I'm not @ home when I'm on the net, so that's why rememberme doesn't work. No I don't -hate- Kana. It just didn't have the impact on me. But I liked Private Nurse, does that count? (*tries to regain reputation*). Though I think we're really off topic here. :D

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#56 Post by Taleweaver »

As far as Kana is concerned: the fact that she isn't the player character's real sister never took any of the drama for me. Mostly, the game was watching her die a slow death, with all those little signs and all those precious moments between her and the narrator... really a powerful plot. The only things I didn't like was the lack of voice acting and the rather weak music.
Aside from that, don't take my bashing too serious. :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

BlackSpider
Regular

#57 Post by BlackSpider »

I played KAORI one more time from the very beginning. Got ending nr 3 (best one I had so far). I guess that now I'm finally entitled to write more comments on the game... First the bad things... Sounds terrible, but don't take it too seriously ;). In fact, the ingame graphics remind me of old CGA games for the PC XT made in late 80's. You may write that your games require true color, but you never use more than 4 colors anyway. Besides this yellow+brown filter on the backgrounds doesn't look nice at all. IMO it's much worse than black+white (Black Pencil) or black+blue shades (River Trap). It's just my personal opinion though. Second, the game really needs some save points, as it's not that short. It took me some time to play from the beginning up to the ending I got... And then the good things... I really like your writing style Mikey. The whole story is very well put toogether. And most important "it" has what makes the game interesting. What I mean is that when I started to play I became so involved that I just had to play until I got my ending. Once again, great writing style Mikey. Thank You for a very good ren'ai game.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by mikey »

Well the "old" look was intentional, originally it even was b/w and with a solid (non-transparent) textbox. We didn't use antialiased fonts or similar for exactly that reason - it should remind the player of the old pixellated games (they were my favorite, so I guess this is also a way of making something one himself would want to play). For kaori it's only Hicolor that is needed and it is needed so that the characters will have transparent BG. Hopefully we can drop the reqiurements down to 256 colors next time such a project comes along. And thank you for all the comments, I have a list of all the positive and negative ones so that the next game can be even more appealing. We'll see.

Game length - well, upon holding down the arrow, it goes pretty fast forward, so that's why I thought we could spare ourselves the saves. Hmmm. I wonder... once you got the p/w did you re-play the game so you could enter it within Ending 3? Or did you enter it within that ending which you were at when you got the final letter? Just wondering how people are playing (*hold a pen and paper ready to make informative notes*).

Also, I hope this doesn't sound like I want to just keep the discussion alive, but I've (finally!) received an inquiry from a Slovak fan asking just what is on the title screen. Well, I told him but... ah, come on, make me happy and tell me that you at least wondered a bit... :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#59 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote: Hmmm. I wonder... once you got the p/w did you re-play the game so you could enter it within Ending 3? Or did you enter it within that ending which you were at when you got the final letter?
As for me, I entered it at whatever ending I was at when I had the complete password. (Unlike RT, I actually played through all of the endings to get the password, rather than grepping for it :-) ) I then wanted to see it again, so I played through to ending 1, and was surprised that the same password lead to a different ending.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#60 Post by Sai »

mikey wrote:Also, I hope this doesn't sound like I want to just keep the discussion alive, but I've (finally!) received an inquiry from a Slovak fan asking just what is on the title screen. Well, I told him but... ah, come on, make me happy and tell me that you at least wondered a bit... :P
It looks like a heavily distorted tree... (or perhaps a map from above)