Perchance to Dream [NaNoRenO 14][Mordern Fantasy][GxG]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kaht
Projects: Perchance to Dream

Perchance to Dream [NaNoRenO 14][Mordern Fantasy][GxG]

#1 Post by Kaht »

Perchance to Dream
Laurel is a freshman anthropology student and part time barista trying to survive living on her own for the first time and figure out what to do with her life. One night she has a strange and vivid dream about a "bubblegum-girl" who claims to be cursed and begs for her help. Soon after she meets the mysterious and eccentric Fantasia who looks eerily similar to the woman from her dream. But is Fantasia really otherworldly and desperately in need or has Laurel finally snapped?

And even if it's all real how is she, a mere ragdoll in her dreams, supposed to defeat a powerful warlock and break the curse?
Characters
ImageImage
Laurel
The protagonist. A girl who still isn't sure what she wants to do. She's quite shy and reserved and has little direction in her life, but isn't the type to stand around and watch other people get hurt. She's never been able to remember her dreams until now.

Fantasia
A somewhat alarmingly sheltered girl with an enthusiastic and bubbly attitude. She refuses to stay out after dark despite being in her 20s and doesn't seem to be doing anything with herself. She looks very similar to the girl Laurel dreamed about but always seems to change the subject when it's brought up. Could she be hiding something?

Bubblegum Girl
A self proclaimed 'Bubblegum-girl' who showed up in Laurel's dreams. She claims to be Fantasia and says she's cursed. She seems to think Laurel can help her somehow.

Nathan
A sullen boy who warns not to trust Fantasia, claiming her responsible for his missing friend. Is he telling the truth?

Daniel
A boy who went missing three months ago. Nathan seems to think his disappearance is connected to Fantasia and to Laurel's dreams.

(color and design not final)
Warlock
A menacing warlock that Fantasia says has put a curse on her. Who is he and why would he curse her? (if he's even real!)
#########

Basically I have no idea if I can even manage to do anything with this but I wanted to try!! The art is just concepts, the final product will obviously be infinitely more polished!!

The story takes place in modern day Toronto and will consist mainly of two parts, the first part largely being storytelling with the second part being (mainly) what will effect your endings. Fantasia is the only romance, and yes it will be a romance no matter what. Not counting NSGO there will be 4 endings.

So far I've got the plot outline and the designs and I am so far in over my head lmfao.

Outline - 90% (some branches I need to work out)
Script - pfffffffttttt
Designs - 85%
Sprites - hahahahahaha
GUI - 30% Maybe????
Last edited by Kaht on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Morgan_R
Regular

Re: Perchance to Dream [NaNoRenO 14][Mordern Fantasy][GxG]

#2 Post by Morgan_R »

Interesting premise, and even your rough concepts look great! I look forward to seeing more. ^_^

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#3 Post by noeinan »

This looks cool. I like the colors in your designs, too!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4 Post by Rinima »

Ohh, this looks good~
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Kaht

#5 Post by Kaht »

Interesting premise, and even your rough concepts look great! I look forward to seeing more. ^_^
Thank you!! : ) I'm glad it didn't seem too boring or strange!
This looks cool. I like the colors in your designs, too!
Thank you! This actually means a lot since I've been trying to work on my color comprehension!
Ohh, this looks good~
Thank you!!! : ) I hope you continue to enjoy the concept!

I suppose I should say as well that if anyone has any questions or responses to the premise/concepts I'd love to hear those as well!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

The character designs are lovely :>. I love their faces especially. I also like settings with a modern normal seeming world that has fantasy mixed in.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Kaht

#7 Post by Kaht »

The character designs are lovely :>. I love their faces especially. I also like settings with a modern normal seeming world that has fantasy mixed in.
Thank you!!! Character design is my favourite thing so it's always good to hear I'm doing alright at it!! :9

FINALLY got the title screen working, tho I had to do it the stupid way. Still, I'm happy! (My goodness how do you all manage this coding?? It's so hard!)

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#8 Post by Laiska »

There are so many things about this project (and the characters especially!) that I enjoy. Such lovely ladies!

I might suggest a slightly cleaner font for your logo—assuming what's on the upper left of the title screen is that—the embellishments on the P and D are a little distracting, but of course that is a way minor issue for much later.

Keep up the good work though, I'll be looking forward to this one :)

Kaht

#9 Post by Kaht »

My goodness thank you!! I'm so happy to hear there's some people excited for this!

I agree with you on the font, I wasn't sure about it. I think I'll see if I can't find something cleaner, now that I understand the coding a bit more maybe I can manage to replace it without wrecking anything lmfao!

Finally getting some spritework done. Oh man oh man, how do you guys do this?
Attachments
guh.png

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#10 Post by arachni42 »

I'm digging the blue lipstick! ^_^
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

DespairParty
Projects: Atlantis Project
IRC Nick: DP

#11 Post by DespairParty »

Pretty much all of these character designs are fantastic, but I especially adore Laurel's ragdoll form. Colours!!! Cute outfit!!!!!!

Kaht

#12 Post by Kaht »

Oh man oh man!! Thank you so much to everyone for their support!!!!! You are all just the bomb.com! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, things have gotten wicked nuts for me.

Arachni42: I'm glad you like the lipstick, it's probably one of my favourite things about Fantasia's design! Honestly, give me any excuse, any excuse at all, and I will draw brought colored lipstick all over the place!

DespairParty: Thank you so much! Color design is something I'm getting so into and, I'll be honest, ragdoll Laurel is my total fav. as well! I have a huge weakness for purple/blue/yellow combos so I couldn't resist trying to make her as cute as could be!!! (and might I add that I adore the design of the main boy of your NaNoRenO?? I just love love love his eyepiece and the scar along his face looks so good!!!)

----

Thank yous aside unfortunately for me this turned out to be a rather ambitious project and a rather bad month for me to finish it in. Trying to find a place to live, dealing with my psychotic family and searching for a job to support myself has taken up just way too much time for me to finish this in a month. It's just too hard for me! But I'd rather have tried and failed than not to have tried at all, right?

I'll post a few of the things I managed to work on a bit!

----

A little logo, though I can't figure out how to implement it for the life of me!!

An unfinished (It will look more polished I swear!!) background for one of the first scenes in the game

The outline of Laurel's basic sprite, though she's planned to have a total of 5 outfits (indoor/outdoor/work/dreamworld/special dreamworld)

I also finally finished Fantasia's indoor regular sprite! (she's planned to have indoor/outdoor/dreamworld/dreamworld special and an alternate pose). Though there is some fixing I'd like to do on it (I may never sleep again for all the world I need to do on this)

----

I don't know if you guys would be interested in seeing the design sketches for the characters or not, most of them are very rough, but I do have them if anyone's interested. Either way I had oodles of fun and I don't plan to give up on this one just yet! ;9

Thanks again for supporting me as I tried and fell lmao!!!!! Next time I'll do better!!

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#13 Post by noeinan »

No worries, I actually didn't finish my project on time either. Glad you're planning to keep working on it though!

I'd like to see sketches, personally. :3