The Wandering Child

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#16 Post by Taleweaver »

I just checked out that additional line. Fair enough now :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#18 Post by mikey »

For administrational purposes, will we have permission to host this at the RAA? I know it's more or less a trilogy and you've given permission for the first two, but still, it's important to know. :P

mokenju1
Regular

#19 Post by mokenju1 »

You have my permission to host at the RAA all the games I've created with Ren'py (and any other game I could create and post here :P ).

Mr. E
Regular

#20 Post by Mr. E »

Hey, congratulations! I also commend you on you incredible speed to create and post games. It's amazing! The first triology (I think) in the OELVN scene. I hope you don't mind if I put here my thoughts on both "The Worthy Bride" and "The Wandering Child"? Anyway... Here goes:
The Worthy Bride
An intresting case, and actually quite difficult. I couldn't spot the importance in Augusta's relatioship with Miss Brockwurst... But everything fits when you realize the answer, so I think it's well done.
I actually never met Ashton in the previous game so his appearance was a bit of a surprise to me, but I think I understand why you decided to give him a bit of a spotlight in the game... :twisted: He defintively shines as one the most intresting characters in the game. There are a few loose ends, like the relationship between Ashton and Charlotte, in which you could go into more detail but it's no biggie. I still liked the game very much.
The Wandering Child
Ok, I liked this game very much, but I also had some big problems with it. Let's start with the bad news: the characters. I think the biggest problem in this game is that you put a lot of characters in it. There is nothing wrong with that, but the other problem (and a much bigger one) is that most of them lack a cetain appeal or charisma. Let me explain: You introduced a lot of characters at almost the same time, Petunia did not describe any of them well enough and you did not introduce any of them in detail. Given the circunstances only the most charismatic of the characters would stand out (Ashton for example would, if given a chance to shine). The result was that I couldn't even remember who was whom for half of the game and even after the true ending, few of the characters made a lasting impression in my mind. Clarisse Merryl and Lord and Lady Carlton were good, especially once you found out the true story. I find the "Psycho Julia" character very intresting and creepy (pity it's not true :? ) but there is one character in sepcial that caught my atention. Yes, it's the most important character in the whole game that appears so little and manages to make such a lasting impression, it's name is even in the title... Yep, it's the Wandering Child. :twisted: And here I come to the game's highest point: the claustrophobic atmosphere and the suspense. This game absolutely drips with suspense, and the "Wandering Child" character (that from here on I will call just Child, because WC feels a bit lame...) is an essencial part of the whole scenario. The idea of the dolls was pretty creepy, especially when Lady Merryl is found dead with a doll :twisted: and the player is kept wondering whether this is a down-to-earth mistery or if there is a supernatural element in it. The fact that the player CAN be killed by the Child only heightens the suspense and fear of the game. Maybe a creepy backstory of the Child would have heightened the effect, although the fact that few people talked anything much about it added to the misteriousness of the characters... Anyway, I'm writing a hige review because I actually liked it very much! It's just that I saw so much potential in it. Then again I'm a big fan of suspense stories, especially pending to psychological horror... :twisted: My opinions aren't necessarily correct, I just said what I thought of the story, comparing it to a suspense story. Despite the complaints this game was also my personal favourite so don't let my irritant nitpicking get to you. :D
Phew... I've been meaning to play these games for a long time, and they were definitively worth it. Good luck with you future projects!

mokenju1
Regular

#21 Post by mokenju1 »

Well, Ashton is my favourite character and the only reason he isn't in The Wandering Child is because he would have again all my attention concentrated in him :lol: . I love "grey" characters that you can never known if are good or bad. That's the main reason that every time Ashton and Augusta appear in one of The Silent Maiden game's they are always primary suspects of a crime. I wonder if in the Smiling Lady they actually are going to be the murderers..... :lol:

About the Wandering Child:
Thanks for your detailed review. I really appreciate when someone tells me what he/she thinks about the games. Especially when it's constructive criticism like the one you have given to me :wink: . The problem with the characters of The Wandering Child is that although each one of them has some interesting story behind, you only can learn about it spending each time you play talking with one of the characters. That means that if you are paying attention to Miss Merryll you can't be friends with Julia and viceversa. In the same way, you can't learn the legend of the wandering child if you are not in a "friendly" relationship with Miss Felicia Carlton. The result is that if you try to talk to everybody you end not "knowing" anyone. But I see, that you have replayed the game so that was not the problem... I suppose the characters were not fleshed out like they should be (especially Felicia and her two suitors). I will try to pay more attention to this in my next game.

And I'm glad that you think it's creepy. In fact when I was writing the game I was trying to create a similar atmosphere to The Silent Maiden game but without the sad feeling.
Finished Projects: "Host Love", "The Silent Maiden", "The Worthy Bride" and "The Wandering Child"
Currently working on: "The Smiling Lady", "The intruder","Cassandra's Knight" and "Cinderella's choice"
Unfinished Projects: "Dear Friend, Secret Lover"

SyberiaWinx
Regular

Re: The Wandering Child

#22 Post by SyberiaWinx »

Is this a glitch? Decisions thus far:
Talked to Julia, Talked to Clarisse, Walked with the young people, listened to the conversation between Lord Carlton and the girls, asked if the came there often, Went out to look for the white figure, Tried to find where the sound came from
But when I click on that last choice, it immediately goes to the credits without any explanation. Is this a glitch or is it supposed to happen?O_O

Ignosco
Veteran

#23 Post by Ignosco »

SyberiaWinx wrote:Is this a glitch? Decisions thus far:
Talked to Julia, Talked to Clarisse, Walked with the young people, listened to the conversation between Lord Carlton and the girls, asked if the came there often, Went out to look for the white figure, Tried to find where the sound came from
But when I click on that last choice, it immediately goes to the credits without any explanation. Is this a glitch or is it supposed to happen?O_O
It's supposed to happen :twisted: (and welcome to the forums :)).

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#24 Post by SyberiaWinx »

Thanks. I have one more question. What is the word in the game that makes you-know-who go all pale?O_o

IefaSan
Projects: I'm willing to help anyone with their projects! PM me if you want to use my help. I can help with: plot, dialogue, a tester or script (but my English is not really good). Or if you just want someone to help you with anything, just PM me... ^_^

#25 Post by IefaSan »

Hurm, I played all the trilogy (is it a trilogy?) and yes, this is the hardest one.. Well, I'm not fishing for hint or anything but I think I already tried everything and I think I almost got the same result. But it's okay.. I will never give up the find the real reason like Jane is never give up to investigate.. XD :mrgreen:

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#26 Post by ririruetoo »

I just got done playing all 3 games, and I really enjoyed them! Although its sad that there isn't going to be any more...
ImageImageImage