What are you listening to while you write?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Legacy Wolfwood
Projects: Code name: "The Garden"
Organization: Sleeping Forest: Kings

Re: What are you listening to while you write?

#16 Post by Legacy Wolfwood »

currently I have been listening to a lot of Vocaloid, Anime and Video game OST/piano scores. It helps me get into the mood lol Though if I am stuck on a certain scene, I usually put a song on repeat that suits the mood till i can finish it

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

#17 Post by Crystaline Spade »

A lot of Celtic and a bit of uplifting game soundtracks.
Also Glutamine!!
Last edited by Crystaline Spade on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#18 Post by Ophelia »

Lately, I've had a lot of problems actually getting to start writing and keep doing so since I'm very easily distracted, so I'm easily pretty tired when I get to it. In that case listening to some 8bit really helps me stay awake and 'energetic' enough to churn out scenes. Though I couple that with a few sad BGM tracks I've collected to fit the mood when I'm working on a sad scene.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#19 Post by naqlada »

Ophelia wrote:Lately, I've had a lot of problems actually getting to start writing and keep doing so since I'm very easily distracted, so I'm easily pretty tired when I get to it.
Quiet tends to help me with this.

I tend to listen to music before and after I write. During rarely helps, unless I am in a moving vehicle... My roving list tends to be:

Mandy's Plan (24 ost)
Lunatic Pandora (FF8 ost)
Don't Forget The Rules (Saw II ost)
Various Instrumentals

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#20 Post by curry nochi rice »

>a lot of SKE48
>a lot of Nogizaka46
>a lot of movie OST (mainly hans zimmer)

but sometimes it's just too random >.<
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

MissShortie
Projects: Petals on the Bench

#21 Post by MissShortie »

An eclectic and hearty mix of Portishead, Supreme Beings of Leisure, Kalafina, Eminem, Journey, and ShounenT as well as Rainbow Bunchie (aka my taste in music is slightly embarrassing). My playlist is never complete without Rainbow Bunchie. Sometimes I throw in some classic rock. If I'm doing serious work where I need to get my >:| on, I listen to Yanni and assorted pianists on Pandora. It really has to do with the sort of work I'm doing and the mood that I'm in.

Does anybody else tend to sing along while drawing? And not like "Oh lalalala hum along" sing. No, I mean singing like you freaking mean it. XD;

DeletedUser160413

#22 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

I usually don't listen to anything while writing but when I'm drawing I listen to a lot of DOES (the japanese rock band).

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by briannavon »

I usual listen to new Korean Hip hop (BTS, Got7, B.A.P), Sonic Video Game Music, or American songs from the 90s to early 2000s (Mary J Blige, random girl groups, random love songs, etc...)

But that is only for modern settings. If it's for fantasy settings, than good ol' medieval fantasy-like songs I find online! :lol:
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#24 Post by Caveat Lector »

Depends on the genre, but recently, it's more for "finding inspiration" than actual writing. To stay on topic, I sometimes listen to those "most wondrous/beautiful OST" mixes on YouTube, or classical music, or any kind of beautiful, relaxing background music. When it comes to story planning (which is a huge part of the writing process), I like listening to a group of songs with a particular theme, like, for example, Nox Arcana. I especially love albums like Blackthorn Asylum.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Cobweb
Projects: My Father's Apprentice
IRC Nick: Cobweb

#25 Post by Cobweb »

For all the people who say they are listening to gaming themes I saw a tip on Reddit to do this because the music is supposedly composed to be stimulating for the mind but not distracting, I'm pleased that it sounds like it's working! I'll give it a try in the future.

I generally can't listen to anything when I'm writing. Especially not music with lyrics. I've listened to weather sounds before, rain and thunder (I think someone else said this!) when I've needed to block out other noises though.

I will, however, listen to songs over and over and over again that help me imagine a scene when I'm not writing, or that fit the personality of a character. I think my favourite of the moment is Fight Like a Girl by Emilie Autumn. :)
Quite possibly a spider.

soulmachina

#26 Post by soulmachina »

I can't really listen to music with lyrics when writing--if I'm drawing, sure, but I've accidentally written down the lyrics while writing several times.

I have to listen to music when plotting out scenes, though, and doing basic rough drafts and dialogue. For my current project, I've been listening to a lot of Kotoko and Lana Del Rey.
Maki-Lala
@SoulMachina

Eiliya
Regular

#27 Post by Eiliya »

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of japanese Vocaloid. Which is bad, cause the lyrics distract me quite often -.-

When I really don't want to be disturbed/distracted, I usually put up some kind of 10 hour long soothing thing with sounds from nature, such as soft rain, birdchirping, sounds of a jungle, as well as actual music, often soft piano, flutes (often panflutes or ocarnias) and/or simillar instruments.

Ben Ayoo
Regular
Completed: The coin and the gun
Organization: Ben Studio

#28 Post by Ben Ayoo »

Anime OSTs Nana.
I enjoy all Anna Tsuchiya songs when with the pen

brandon4117
Projects: [Coming Soon]

#29 Post by brandon4117 »

I tend to listen to classical when writing stories. That, or Ambient music of different kinds. Sometimes I'll listen to other genres but it's not often when writing.

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

#30 Post by dreamy »

I only listen to music before or during the writing process. I never listen to music while generating ideas it just never works for me!

And about what music I listen to, I would actually listen to anything-catchy or classical or slow or upbeat and it can even be soundtracks without lyrics. However, if the music becomes too distracting for me at times, I will just hum the tune to myself hehe :lol:
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."