Memoirs of an Angel: Legends [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Re: Memoirs of an Angel [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

#76 Post by plaster »

So I've been trying to get ending 14 for a while with version 1.13...
I was screwing around during the dance competition when Chael's portrait appeared on top of Duren... and then the game crashed.
I think that's enough otome games for one day.

yundun63
Completed: None so far
Projects: None so far

#77 Post by yundun63 »

This hasn't been abandoned right? I know you probably have real life stuff to do but I just haven't seen you update this or your blog since February.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#78 Post by broken_angel »

plaster wrote:So I've been trying to get ending 14 for a while with version 1.13...
I was screwing around during the dance competition when Chael's portrait appeared on top of Duren... and then the game crashed.
I think that's enough otome games for one day.
Woops! I'll try to remember to look into that.

yundun63 wrote:This hasn't been abandoned right? I know you probably have real life stuff to do but I just haven't seen you update this or your blog since February.
No, this project hasn't been abandoned, it's just been put on a bit of a hiatus. I haven't updated anything because I haven't been able to make any progress since, as I mentioned in my W.I.S.H thread, I've been unemployed since graduation and literally can't afford to work on any games.

Once my situation changes and I get settled in, though, I definitely plan on continuing my work. Memoirs, in particular, is a story that is very near and dear to me, so I want to see it completed just as much as anyone else, even if it takes a few more years to finally put it together.

To everyone else who left awesome comments: Thank you! I do read every comment when it's posted, even if I don't reply. Thanks for being patient and for your continued support. I really do appreciate it.

ritam

#79 Post by ritam »

This looks... really cool. I'm very glad it's only on hiatus, not canceled.

Jisuu

#80 Post by Jisuu »

This is probably stupid question but what is the song while Zuleika is in the library? I've been searching forever and cant find it... T-T

broken_angel
Veteran

#81 Post by broken_angel »

Jisuu wrote:This is probably stupid question but what is the song while Zuleika is in the library? I've been searching forever and cant find it... T-T
Not a stupid question at all! I presume you mean in the remake, when Zuleika is talking to Eliam in the library?

The music used there is the version of Gymnopedie No 1 from Incompetech, but it's a famous classical piece, so you can find many renditions of it elsewhere.

Jedders

#82 Post by Jedders »

I made an account on this site specifically to tell you that I adore Memoirs of an Angel! I only wish it were longer and I can't wait for the remake! you have my support~

broken_angel
Veteran

#83 Post by broken_angel »

Jedders wrote:I made an account on this site specifically to tell you that I adore Memoirs of an Angel! I only wish it were longer and I can't wait for the remake! you have my support~
Wow, thank you! I'm honored~ :o

Unfortunately, progress is even more super slow now that I have a job taking up all my time, but thank you for the support. It really means a lot!

Jedders

#84 Post by Jedders »

That's okay, I understand. :D

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#85 Post by wyverngem »

From first glance of the demo I am really inspired by your opening scene. It catches my attention right away. Yet, I'm not sure I understand why she trust the assassin so easily, enough to actually use him to get out of the palace. ^^ How long is the demo suppose to be? I can never seem to get past talking the assassin without it ending the sample game. Keep up the good work and good luck with finishing this!

Bouki
Regular

#86 Post by Bouki »

I've just finished playing the old version of this, and I have to say, I really loved it! My only complaint would be that it was short and sometimes it felt rushed, but I am surprised that it was your first game. In my honest opinion, it was a good game even then, but I played this new... demo? download? Well, I played it and I am simply blown away by how much progress you have made. I think demo was paced just right, it didn't feel rushed but kept me interested (like others said, I was pretty dissapointed when the it ended. Nooo, I wanted to play more!! D:) Even more than the pretty art, first thing I noticed was how much you improved in writing. It felt much more detailed, reading made me really feel like I was reading a novel, as if I was in that enviroment, or as if I was actually looking at Chael. Chael and Zuleika didn't seem llke they trusted each other that much right after they met in this version, I think it's a reasonable thing judging by how things are going in their world. It was something kind of bugged me in the first game, therefore I liked this version better. So regarding your question about your characters being believable or not, I would say: Oh yes, so far so much yes. I think this version seems much more dark and mysterious too, I'm glad that it is. I really love RPG's, so I'm pretty excited about this new battle system and new options. Even in the first game, I was pretty impressed about how many endings it had, and how you can customize the MC. Not just the appearance, but you can choose which kind of a person you are. I think it's an awesome idea! Though with that much different routes and things in this story, you must be like, the goddess of coding I suppose :D I really want to play this game, but I think that you should take your time and don't rush. In my opinion this game has the potential to be much more better than the commercial ones (oh you have cute highschool-boys? Here, have some badass fighters and legendary angels.) Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, I like how you write the story and I would like it if this version was longer, and relationships (not just the romantic ones, but friendships too) were more developed. The fact that art is super-beautiful goes without saying, so I hope we can have some cool CG's like the ones in the older version. (I wouldn't say no to some kissing CG's too... *wink wink*) Whew, sorry I ranted this much, I think that's all.
Even though the progress is slow, I'm glad you got a job! ^^ Hope you can find some inspiration too and start working on this project again, I can't wait to see some updates. Best of luck with everything! And please, don't abandon this project D:

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#87 Post by philip »

@broken_angel-

Came across this story last evening, as I was going through some of the VN's that I have downloaded over the past several years. I decided to play through it, as I didn't remember ever having done so. Turns out that the version I played was the original, not the one that you are in the process of (sloowwllyy) updating. Have only been through twice, and gotten two of the endings; will be returning to get the rest of them. I really enjoyed it; the story was interesting, and the sprites and backgrounds were very nice. Such a good job I am puzzled as to why you want to redo it?

Having looked at the original, I downloaded the short beta of the new version. I did like having the ability to turn off the battle scenes - I am not much of a gamer, and get more enjoyment just from the stories. Having played the original, I think that I might like the look and feel of it better than the revised version. Regardless, I do hope that you find the time (and inspiration to complete the version that you are working on now.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

broken_angel
Veteran

#88 Post by broken_angel »

wyverngem wrote:From first glance of the demo I am really inspired by your opening scene. It catches my attention right away. Yet, I'm not sure I understand why she trust the assassin so easily, enough to actually use him to get out of the palace. ^^ How long is the demo suppose to be? I can never seem to get past talking the assassin without it ending the sample game. Keep up the good work and good luck with finishing this!
Thanks! As for why she trusts the assassin so easily... keep in mind that Zuleika has lived a very sheltered life. Osirus never really let her leave the castle, and he was always feeding her lines to make her think he had her best interests at heart. While she's clearly at least a little suspicious, I don't think the idea that he would betray her really crosses her mind. She hasn't dealt with people enough to know how dangerous they can be. Still, I think the revised version is better in that department than the original, where she was just like "Sure, okay, let's go" and never regretted it.

And the "demo" is really more of just a snippet I made a while ago to show how the remake would be different (though it's horribly outdated now and should probably be taken down). It's not very long at all; it basically just covers the escape from the castle and up to the point where the battle system tutorial could potentially start. So I don't think you missed anything.

Bouki wrote:I've just finished playing the old version of this, and I have to say, I really loved it! My only complaint would be that it was short and sometimes it felt rushed, but I am surprised that it was your first game. In my honest opinion, it was a good game even then, but I played this new... demo? download? Well, I played it and I am simply blown away by how much progress you have made. I think demo was paced just right, it didn't feel rushed but kept me interested (like others said, I was pretty dissapointed when the it ended. Nooo, I wanted to play more!! D:) Even more than the pretty art, first thing I noticed was how much you improved in writing. It felt much more detailed, reading made me really feel like I was reading a novel, as if I was in that enviroment, or as if I was actually looking at Chael. Chael and Zuleika didn't seem llke they trusted each other that much right after they met in this version, I think it's a reasonable thing judging by how things are going in their world. It was something kind of bugged me in the first game, therefore I liked this version better. So regarding your question about your characters being believable or not, I would say: Oh yes, so far so much yes. I think this version seems much more dark and mysterious too, I'm glad that it is. I really love RPG's, so I'm pretty excited about this new battle system and new options. Even in the first game, I was pretty impressed about how many endings it had, and how you can customize the MC. Not just the appearance, but you can choose which kind of a person you are. I think it's an awesome idea! Though with that much different routes and things in this story, you must be like, the goddess of coding I suppose :D I really want to play this game, but I think that you should take your time and don't rush. In my opinion this game has the potential to be much more better than the commercial ones (oh you have cute highschool-boys? Here, have some badass fighters and legendary angels.) Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, I like how you write the story and I would like it if this version was longer, and relationships (not just the romantic ones, but friendships too) were more developed. The fact that art is super-beautiful goes without saying, so I hope we can have some cool CG's like the ones in the older version. (I wouldn't say no to some kissing CG's too... *wink wink*) Whew, sorry I ranted this much, I think that's all.
Even though the progress is slow, I'm glad you got a job! ^^ Hope you can find some inspiration too and start working on this project again, I can't wait to see some updates. Best of luck with everything! And please, don't abandon this project D:
Thank you so much for the comments and encouraging words! It's comments like these that remind me why I want to make the remake. The whole point of it, really, is to flesh out the characters and setting more. So yeah, it should definitely be much longer and more developed once I finally get around to it.

And romance CGs are definitely something I would like to include this time around. I meant to for the original, too, but the CG artist got too busy with other projects and so didn't finish the list I'd given her (Chael's CGs were at the top of the list, though, hence why he actually had quite a few, haha...woops). Unfortunately, the same thing happened with the CG artist I hired for the remake, so I'll probably have to scrap the ones I have (but I'll keep the loading screen ones, I think) once I find a new artist.

philip wrote:@broken_angel-

Came across this story last evening, as I was going through some of the VN's that I have downloaded over the past several years. I decided to play through it, as I didn't remember ever having done so. Turns out that the version I played was the original, not the one that you are in the process of (sloowwllyy) updating. Have only been through twice, and gotten two of the endings; will be returning to get the rest of them. I really enjoyed it; the story was interesting, and the sprites and backgrounds were very nice. Such a good job I am puzzled as to why you want to redo it?

Having looked at the original, I downloaded the short beta of the new version. I did like having the ability to turn off the battle scenes - I am not much of a gamer, and get more enjoyment just from the stories. Having played the original, I think that I might like the look and feel of it better than the revised version. Regardless, I do hope that you find the time (and inspiration to complete the version that you are working on now.

philip
I'm glad you liked it! Did you really play the one from several years ago, or the updated version (aka still the original game, but I fixed some bugs and rewrote a few lines of dialogue here and there)?

Anyway, after reading your comment, I played through it again myself just for fun. While it really does stand as a decent and enjoyable game on its own, there's a reason for the remake. When I wrote the script for the original game, I had these OCs and was like "Hey, wouldn't it be fun if I made a mock dating sim game with these characters?" And so I wrote a little script for it, focusing on what would be the "heart events" like in a Harvest Moon game. Then I found Ren'py and realized I could make an actual game out of it, so I did! And that's how the original Memoirs of an Angel came to be. I wasn't really thinking about the story I was trying to tell or character development or any of that, I just wanted to make a cute dating sim with my OCs.

But these are characters and a setting that I've been developing for over a decade. They deserve so much better than the disconnected, undeveloped fluff of the original game - which worked as a cute little dating sim, yes, but not as the epic story of war and betrayal that it's always been in my mind. Thus, the "remake" is less of an "updated version" and more of a complete rewrite. It's the same characters and setting, hence why I call it a "remake", but this time I'm taking it seriously. It will be entirely plot-driven, with the romance being an important sub-plot but not what's driving the game, and a battle system will (hopefully) be added to give it that epic RPG feel. That's why I'm making the new game - I'm not just redoing what I did before, I'm making something completely new (and better).

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#89 Post by philip »

@broken_angel-

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure which early version that I played; I do know that I downloaded it on 5/31/13, maybe you can tell which it was from that.

Thank you for explaining your reason for redoing the game. I understand and respect your position, and I will look forward to the release of your new creation. In the meantime, I will enjoy exploring the first story - being the simple minded person that I am, I enjoyed the plot, and the different directions it would take based on one's choices, and didn't view it as a "cute dating sim". I just think that it is an engaging and interesting story.

One last thought; since in your mind this is not a "remake" of the original game, perhaps the new effort should have a slightly different title, to eliminate any confusion with the first attempt?

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

broken_angel
Veteran

#90 Post by broken_angel »

philip wrote:@broken_angel-

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure which early version that I played; I do know that I downloaded it on 5/31/13, maybe you can tell which it was from that.

Thank you for explaining your reason for redoing the game. I understand and respect your position, and I will look forward to the release of your new creation. In the meantime, I will enjoy exploring the first story - being the simple minded person that I am, I enjoyed the plot, and the different directions it would take based on one's choices, and didn't view it as a "cute dating sim". I just think that it is an engaging and interesting story.

One last thought; since in your mind this is not a "remake" of the original game, perhaps the new effort should have a slightly different title, to eliminate any confusion with the first attempt?

philip
Hmm...so not the first first version, but definitely not the latest one (it was released in January 2014). It's probably fine, though. Did it still have the clothing customization options and stuff?

Aww, I never meant to imply that you're a simple-minded person for liking the original game! I really am glad you liked it so much, and it definitely has its moments. I'm just a perfectionist, haha, so my standard is set really high. While the original Memoirs is my baby, I can't help but see all the flaws in it and all the things I want to change, so to me it will always be "okay, but I could do better."

And yes, the plan is to have a slightly different title. I guess I never updated it here (sorry, I've been neglecting this forum), but I'm tentatively calling the new game Memoirs of an Angel: Legends. I don't want to completely change the title because I want to make it clear that they go together, but I hope that the subtitle will make it easier to differentiate between the two.