Lemmasoft Statistics Study

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

Lemmasoft Statistics Study

#1 Post by curry nochi rice »

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by opening this topic.

Anyway, ever since 2010 I have been bothered by just how many projects are completed vs how many projects were started and were never finished.

Objective:
This study aims to answer the following:
>completed projects vs dropped projects
>completed projects vs on-production projects
>Completed Projects vs on-hiatus projects

>most common genre of projects
>most uncommon genre of projects
>average posts per view

more questions to be asked as more data are gathered.
Scope
I might sort this things out by year so for now I will study year 2013.

quantitative data needed for this projects is easily provided by the tallies on each forum/sub-forum. The hard part would be sorting each thread and it's content :oops: . I might as well lessen the scope to make things easier.

Anyway I will post the results of the study here when it's done. Feel free to add questions/problems as long as the search engine can give me results to sort out.

P.S.
I'm doing this as a pastime. :oops:
Last edited by curry nochi rice on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: Lemmasoft Statistics Study

#2 Post by Gear »

How are you going to determine what was dropped, and what is just in production? I haven't posted in my WiP thread in a while, but my game production is still coming along. Had I not said that, would my project have been filed as dropped or on-production?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by curry nochi rice »

Gear wrote:How are you going to determine what was dropped, and what is just in production? I haven't posted in my WiP thread in a while, but my game production is still coming along. Had I not said that, would my project have been filed as dropped or on-production?
hi there,

I'm still in the middle of formulating the criteria. Anyway chances are I might consider dropped projects as projects that are explicitly dropped, and/or any of the staff haven't replied for a year (or six months), and/or no new replies on the thread for a year (or six months). Or add "Hiatus" category so that only the explicitly declared ones are listed as "dropped".

okay I'm adding the "completed vs on-hiatus" problem.
I wanna be done.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I'd have to agree that this may be complicated. My own project thread hasn't been active since maybe 2012, but the project is neither abandoned nor on hiatus.

While I'm very curious to see the statistics, I think it'll be nightmarish to make relatively accurate.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by curry nochi rice »

I should probably just classify projects in the works in progress as inactive vs active.
I wanna be done.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

Hm...I wonder if I'm the only person in this category:

I'm a person working on a project, that is actually quite far along, but I have no Work in Progress thread. I may not ever make a Work in Progress thread...unless I have to have one when it comes time to recruiting an artist...which I won't do until almost everything else is done.

I suspect this means that I wouldn't count in the statistics at all. Which I'm not bothered about for myself, but I might represent a larger demographic.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by curry nochi rice »

trooper6 wrote:Hm...I wonder if I'm the only person in this category:

I'm a person working on a project, that is actually quite far along, but I have no Work in Progress thread. I may not ever make a Work in Progress thread...unless I have to have one when it comes time to recruiting an artist...which I won't do until almost everything else is done.

I suspect this means that I wouldn't count in the statistics at all. Which I'm not bothered about for myself, but I might represent a larger demographic.
You are correct, your project won't be listed at all, as with every other unlisted/not posted projects. Well my scope only covers the project listed in the WIP and Completed games that were started or released last year. So anything else will not be included.
I wanna be done.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

I think the safest route is to clarify exactly what standards you use at the start of your listing and try not to draw conclusions outside the scope.

For instance you couldn't talk about what EVN projects have been started because you can't know all projects that are started, but you CAN talk about project threads created on LSF. 'Lemmasoft Statistics' is perfectly fair and a reasonable starting point. It may or may not be representative of the internet as a whole, but you can't be expected to know that! As long as the data is clearly labeled intelligent readers should be able to draw their own conclusions. :)

For project status, some possible breakdowns:

Completed (obvious, a Completed Game has been released)
Official Hiatus (if announced by the developer)
Officially Abandoned (if announced by the developer)
Last Posted - and here you could have several different bands, for project threads whose developer last posted within the last month, within the last three months, within the last six months, etc.

You can't know whether a project that hasn't been posted in recently is actually active/inactive/hiatus/abandoned unless you asked every developer, but you can know when the developer last posted.

(For my own WIP I'd have to look it up to see when I last posted in it, as I don't know. It was on hiatus for months, but that was never announced, and it's active at the moment, but that wasn't announced either, because I really don't keep a running commentary going in WIP threads.)