Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mimi_Melody
Veteran

Re: Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

#16 Post by Mimi_Melody »

Um... I'm enjoying it so far, but the main thing is... have you guys proofread the game? I mean no offence, I really love the game XD, but there are sentences that sound really weird @@
For example: "If you want to write movies or books you should do instead of that instead of this fake thing."
and "She just wanted to yell at me and I had no interest in getting it was as simple as that." "I didn't like how she I did the maybe at the end, I couldn't get a date or something" ... and some more sentences like those.
I know it must've been a pain to make the whole game in one month, not to mention the coding, but maybe you can think of getting a proofreader?

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#17 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Ugh, I didn't even notice Dragon was doing that. That was caused by Dragon missing words or just being weird with copying what I was saying. And no I didn't have a chance to reread what I wrote; I just didn't have time. That is the first and last time I use a text to speech program, so I could multitask. If I would have, I would have caught those. It disgusts me to no end to see what I put out, but alas I just didn't have time. I'll be fixing up all that writing in the Artist route in an update, along with adding in more.

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#18 Post by Mimi_Melody »

There's an error message around after this part on Artist's route: "Nothing my conversation partner seemed to say to me stuck. I was just lost in a sea of depresion. I felt like......." Then the MC stops speaking, this line appears: "It seems this story is not yet finished... Well this is embarsassing..." (I'm not sure about this part, maybe it was intentional and you guys are really still writing it? And I typed down exactly the lines in the game so there might be some typos)
And this is the error message:
(Anyway, I chose to ignore it and continue with the game XD)
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#19 Post by leon »

Yes the artist path is not yet finished, please check the updates in the coming days. The crash wasn't intentional, I used an invalid character in that message. Click the update button in the main menu to update to version 1.07 and fix that.

Hiyokun

#20 Post by Hiyokun »

I really like this game! :3
I played as the programmer first, I'll play the writer and the artist some time.
Good work~

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Applegate »

greenheartnellie wrote:Just wondering, how many 'days' is this game? I thought it's only 60 days at first but I'm on my 83rd day now. I've released 4 different VN's/Sim/Rpg but I'm still working on some stats.
I assume you grabbed the writer's route. I put a tentative timespan while being unsure of how difficult the goal would be, and it'll be updated some time to reflect actual game difficulty. I'll also try to work in more clearly what the goal of the writer is through the events themselves, since I don't think it's too clear right now!

nctolu

#22 Post by nctolu »

This game looked so good and promising, but there are so many typos. I'm sorry, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves. But seriously, looked great! I hope that maybe you'll consider going back and proof reading in the near future. (Just some criticism. Not trying to sound rude, I swear!)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Applegate »

nctolu wrote:This game looked so good and promising, but there are so many typos. I'm sorry, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves. But seriously, looked great! I hope that maybe you'll consider going back and proof reading in the near future. (Just some criticism. Not trying to sound rude, I swear!)
Three writers, three routes. Can you indicate which route(s) you tried and where the typos appeared? It's easier to work out where to go from there.

Uncomplicated

#24 Post by Uncomplicated »

I'm trying to play this on Mac, but when I load the game, I am unable to click on anything in the main menu. ;-;

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#25 Post by leon »

Sorry for the late response (it's a bit hard to test on Mac since nobody in our team has it). I tested it with VMWare/OSX Lion and it worked fine. Could you describe the problem in more detail? Does this happen every time you load or just for a specific save? Have you updated the game between saving and loading?

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#26 Post by Katta »

The game is really interesting and I love the interface, how it looks and works like a real computer) but so many typos and bugs for such a short time spoil it a bit. I was also unable to release my game at 100% assets, it said it's still not finished and I had to do a bit more than 100% - I think it's not right, 100% should be enough.
What does the game quality depend on?
And is there some ending? Or you just keep making game after game?

Haika
Regular
IRC Nick: Haika

#27 Post by Haika »

The game looks very interesting. I'm speechless. I hardly find any flaw.
Wait... we can even coding in this visual novel? XD

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by leon »

Katta wrote:The game is really interesting and I love the interface, how it looks and works like a real computer) but so many typos and bugs for such a short time spoil it a bit.
Make sure you are using the latest version (1.09) which was proofread. If you notice any typos or bugs, please let us know.
Katta wrote:I was also unable to release my game at 100% assets, it said it's still not finished and I had to do a bit more than 100% - I think it's not right, 100% should be enough.
Yes, 100% should be enough. This is probably a number rounding issue. If you have something like 99.9999%, it will show as 100%.
Katta wrote:What does the game quality depend on?
It should reflect your skill levels (at the time you made each asset), plus a bonus for making extra assets (over 100%). If you are recruiting, skill levels are random. However note that there is currently a glitch (I'm looking into it), so it might not work quite as expected.
Katta wrote:And is there some ending? Or you just keep making game after game?
Yes, each story has an ending, but the game doesn't end with it; you can keep playing and try to reach a high score (we may also add achievements after all the bugs are fixed). Artist ending: just wait 22 days. Coder ending: release the first game. Writer ending: make a game that has 100,000 words and over 5,000 downloads within 60 days. Note that these conditions might change at a later time if our writers will have the time to expand the stories.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#29 Post by Katta »

Thank you!
So that should be either the previous version of the game or I didn't understand that was an ending...

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#30 Post by kara24601 »

I know this was a NaNo piece but is NaNoRenO over already or what?

Yeah, it should be more obvious in-game what is what.
Obviously computers do various tasks.
However, I think that's not always intuitive to all players...and some of us tend to forget sometimes that art can be done on a computer , not just paper.

( heh *blush* )

"However, I think that's not always intuitive to all players."
Yeah, I don't know how to word that any better. Ugh.

Thanks chocojax for your post in the thread.

Anyway, other than that and I don't get why the price of items is missing when I try to go shopping in the game from "tarzan shop" ....Why are the prices missing?
Oh...and the name of the items as well...except for obvious things like the keyboard - until after I try to buy it , the game doesn't even tell me what the heck I just tried to buy.
Something that couldn't be finished or was overlooked due to time constraints?
It's like I have to click add to cart and then keep emptying the cart when I find out I don't have enough for the item.
And in my opinion, it's just bad form - ( aka : not funny ) - in my book to insult the player for trying to buy something they don't have enough money for.
I know that the "jokes" are to go along with the poorly thought out titles that are also based on a certain series of books but none of it is funny.
Maybe some people will disagree with me on it being funny or whatever but I certainly don't like the prices not being listed so I don't know how much something costs in the first place, trying to buy it , and then getting told by the game that I'm a moron for trying to buy it on top of all that.

Writer has bookshelf full of books already but artist and coder don't? It's not like artists and coders don't read , especially coders.
Coder is the only has different art ...and who is this other guy in the main menu if there's only three people to choose for PC?
Is he going to be another PC or an important npc?