Touhou Mecha Chapter 2 [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Touhou Mecha Chapter 2 [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

#1 Post by Graph »

Chireiden and Parsia, two territories deep within Gensokyo's underground, are at war. In order to turn the tide of the war, the hell raven Utsuho Reiuji travels to the Remains of Blazing Hell to attain the power of the sun god Yatagarasu. This power will allow her to use the AM Yatagarasu, a mecha with amazing power. However, the sun god isn't the only thing waiting at the Remains of Blazing Hell...

In Chapter 2: The Moriya-Chireiden Alliance braces for attacks from both Parsia and the new unknowns.
Touhou Mecha is a free-to-download fangame of Touhou Project by Team Shanghai Alice and ZUN. It's an alternate universe of the Touhou Project world with a pseudo-contemporary look, and the cast fights using mecha.

Touhou Mecha is a Kinetic Novel with short but visual-packed installments. It comes with some simple animation that is influenced by Muvluv Alternative, though I also take inspiration from Super Robot Taisen.

Comments and critiques on all game releases and preview material are welcome. Development progress is being announced in this topic.
Current version: 2.0, which includes Chapters 1 and 2 and related extras.
Filesize: 87.1 MB
Length: ~2 hours for main story

Downloads
Additional game info
Preview videos and screenshots

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Staff

Story and Art……………………………….Graph
Music…………………………………………….OverCoat and FlameZero16
Programming……………………………….SleepKirby
Editing…………………………………………..Iced Fairy
Blog and forum webmaster………..Sigma

Chapter 1's topic.

animelover116

Re: Touhou Mecha Chapter 2 [Mecha][GxG][Fangame]

#2 Post by animelover116 »

Donwloading cant wait to play :)Looks interesting :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#3 Post by Fenrir34 »

Played the first Chapter and it was rather interesting. I don't know much about Touhou so I looked of some of the characters in your game. It's cool how you made up your own story based on the real anime characters. The story was interesting, writing well done, and the characters were believable. Going to chapter 2 now :)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#4 Post by Samu-kun »

Did the second chapter live up to expectations? Mostly.

I was disappointed there was still heavy lingo, which remained unaddressed from the concerns people raised in Episode 1. My feeling is that it's too hard for someone to just pick the game up and play. I was lost during the non-action sequences, and I think I'm more familiar with Tohou than most people here.

However, the action sequences certainly did not disappoint. I liked the introduction of Marisa and Cirno, and I hope Youmu and the Scarlet Sisters will be there next time. Also, the use of the classic Master Spark VRRRROOOMMMMMMMMMM sfx was quite fantastic. :D

Graph
Veteran

#5 Post by Graph »

Samu-kun:
Any sections that stood out as particularly confusing? I'm curious as to whether some of the namedrops just end up making things cluttered, or if some concepts just aren't explained well.

EDIT: Well, for one I suspect that I messed up Eiki's introduction. I think the role of the Afterlife Administration business is decently implied between the first two Chapters, but I should've connected it to the "New Hell" that Eiki represents. One Ctrl+F later, I'm kind of shocked that I only mention the New Hell in that one scene. Also I'd best forego the title of "Lady Yama" since that takes explanation, and I actually used "Lady Eiki" a bit earlier.

Levrex
Veteran

#6 Post by Levrex »

The second chapter was nice, too.
Really loved Alice's first (in chapter select screen) and second (chapter 2) appearances. I guess the artist likes her. In chapter select screen, her shading looks marvelous. Literally spent a minute looking at her. The expressions, along with Patchouli, — in my personal opinion, they are in the top-three (plus Okuu).
New characters' characters have blended quite good, though i don't find Marisa's outfit to be very fitting.
The story is kinda tedious in the first and second parts of the chapter (excluding the talk with The Yama and Okuu's dream; by the way, until you see Okuu, it looks like it's Marisa's reminiscing), but the action delivers once again.

Also noticed in the first chapter — when one of the Fort squad is slashing tsuchigumos, the positions of the sword before and after the slash (i. e. the way she would strike them — right-to-left) and the way the slash is rendered (left-to-right) do not match.

Still curious who was that «prisoner behind the Gate», hope to see this question answered in future chapters.
By the dialogue between The Judge of Hell and Senator Komeiji, and also by being introduced to an unknown stealth mecha, i suppose that was Koi... but wait, there is also the genius kappa.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

Graph
Veteran

#7 Post by Graph »

Levrex wrote:Really loved Alice's first (in chapter select screen) and second (chapter 2) appearances. I guess the artist likes her.
Haha. Yeah, you might say that.
Levrex wrote: New characters' characters have blended quite good, though i don't find Marisa's outfit to be very fitting.
Even for the last Marisa image I drew (the Chapter 2 title splash) I still didn't really like the look I came up with for Marisa, though I'm not sure that the outfit is what's doing it. Maybe it reminds me too much of her ESR look. I'll revisit it the next time Marisa shows up in a CG.
Fort Squad slashing: Do you mean the third slash, after the red one knocks her comrade out of the way? I see it if that's the case, Momiji ends up a little past the tsuchigumo after the shield bash.

Good guesses on the mystery character. The fact that many AM abilities are tied to the pilot's power narrows down the possible candidates, certainly. Though there ARE pilot-independent power sources like in Marisa's AM... we'll see how that turns out!

Levrex
Veteran

#8 Post by Levrex »

Now that you say it, it seems to be the case with all three slashes, since they use the same animations and dissolve.
As long as i can see, the dissolve goes from down-right corner to the top.
By the way, i forgot to say that i laughed involuntarily when i saw naked Marisa. Her expression reminds of her original self the most (aside from that «uh-oh» look), and that is definitely a good thing... but that „henshin“ somehow looks strange with her, just a witch using an equipment with prepared shells as source of energy, not her innate abilities. Though i'm not really familiar with this sort of thing, so i don't really know about the background requirements for "plausibility" of „henshin“.
Graph wrote:Even for the last Marisa image I drew (the Chapter 2 title splash) I still didn't really like the look I came up with for Marisa, though I'm not sure that the outfit is what's doing it. Maybe it reminds me too much of her ESR look. I'll revisit it the next time Marisa shows up in a CG.
I guess, it's about the appearance. She looks too boyish. For some reason i thought about Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson when looking at her (the hat and the cape being at fault).
I dare to suggest that changing the length of the cape (probably shortening it), the hat to a cowboyish one (changing the color of the hat to a darker one, widening the brim and giving the crown a more pronounced crease, plus narrowing the crown, since it seems to be wider than her head is, even with hair), and giving her cut-down gloves (like the ones Alice has) may improve her look. Oh, right, and shortening (rolling up) the sleeves would have good effect too.

Maybe you would find some inspiration in Imizu's Marisa:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/862008
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

Graph
Veteran

#9 Post by Graph »

Levrex wrote:Now that you say it, it seems to be the case with all three slashes, since they use the same animations and dissolve.
As long as i can see, the dissolve goes from down-right corner to the top.
It's... actually not an ImageDissolve, if that's what you're thinking of. Maybe the way it's drawn makes it look like one? That's a good idea though, wouldn't hurt to add some more of those.
About naked Marisa: Eh, yeah, you're probably right about that. Fanservice has never been good at listening to logical arguments though, hoho.

Let's just say the feeling behind the attack is what matters most. If the AM can emulate the power of youkai-powered devices, why not get the side effects too?
Levrex wrote: I dare to suggest that changing the length of the cape (probably shortening it), the hat to a cowboyish one (changing the color of the hat to a darker one, widening the brim and giving the crown a more pronounced crease, plus narrowing the crown, since it seems to be wider than her head is, even with hair), and giving her cut-down gloves (like the ones Alice has) may improve her look. Oh, right, and shortening (rolling up) the sleeves would have good effect too.

Maybe you would find some inspiration in Imizu's Marisa:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/862008
And while we're at it, maybe we can throw Banpai Akira's Marisa into the mix!

I could use some of those, yeah. Long sleeves are staying though, the outfit is actually supposed to be based on Marisa's Subterranean Animism wear.

Levrex
Veteran

#10 Post by Levrex »

Graph wrote:It's... actually not an ImageDissolve, if that's what you're thinking of. Maybe the way it's drawn makes it look like one? That's a good idea though, wouldn't hurt to add some more of those.
Hu-uh? :shock: Well, yeah, it definitely looks like it. And what else could it be?
And while we're at it, maybe we can throw Banpai Akira's Marisa into the mix!

I could use some of those, yeah. Long sleeves are staying though, the outfit is actually supposed to be based on Marisa's Subterranean Animism wear.
Glad to hear.
I see, that explains it. I'm «secondary», so i thought Marisa first appeared in long sleeves only in books.

Graph
Veteran

#11 Post by Graph »

Levrex wrote:Hu-uh? :shock: Well, yeah, it definitely looks like it. And what else could it be?
I think I've figured it out now. It's kind of neat, actually.

This is the slash image in question. (Looks sloppy when you see it for more than 0.5 seconds, haha)

And this is the same image at 10% opacity.

You'll notice at this point, you can barely see the "tail" end at the top. So my theory is that, for a couple of frames or so, the brain doesn't register the top part of the image because it's so faint. That may be why the bottom part seems to appear first. It all dissolves in very fast, 0.1 seconds to be exact, so you can only really perceive this detail subconsciously.

Of course I want the "sweet spot" of the swing to have the most impact, so I think it's best that I use ImageDissolve in this case.