pretty [Paranormal] [Kinetic] [NaNo 2014]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Rainbow Wavedash
Regular
Projects: Starswirl Academy, Pretty
Tumblr: rainbowwavedash

pretty [Paranormal] [Kinetic] [NaNo 2014]

#1 Post by Rainbow Wavedash »

pretty

Hey folks! Sorry I couldn't get posting this yesterday. We were having some technical glitches which also
prevented us from finishing a few things. Oh well. We'll fix it later. Submitted for your approval, our
two-week NaNoRenO entry, pretty. Overall, this went fairly well considering we only remembered
NaNo was happening halfway through the month. It brought some challenges to the team that we really
enjoyed working through.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Story

In a small town, mysterious disappearances have given rise to numerous rumors of unexplained
creatures prowling the streets. You are a normal high school senior with a periphery interest in the supernatural.
You wouldn't call it unhealthy or anything. It’s not like you spend your free time on ghost sighting blogs or
anything like that (at least not every day). Even so, when a cute classmate asks for your help, you can’t help but say yes.

Characters

Kirei
Kirei is one of the more popular girls in school. She puts up a front, but she has a dark
secret. She likes vampires (and not the sparkly kind).

Tomo
Your best (and only) friend since first year. Overprotective and outspoken.

You |
You probably need to get out more. You can't stay off of the paranormal forums and the
thought of ghost hunting keeps you up at night. That's not because it scares you, but
because you need to get off the computer, stop reading paranormal message boards, and go to bed.
(Default name: Akira)

PC | Mac | Linux
Download Page
53 MB

Changelog
1.0.1 - Changed confusing ending text.
1.0 - First release.

Staff
cartelet- Sprites
OPtimistic - Scenario
Senator Myth - Music
timbaer - Backgrounds
Wavedash - Scenario/Programming/UI

Fun Facts

Production time was March 16-March 31.

The game contains 961 dialogue blocks, containing 6,692 words and 35,230
characters, for an average of 7.0 words and 37 characters per block.

The game contains 33 images and 16 screens.

Built on Ren'Py version 6.17.3.327.

It contains no assets from the team's previous games.
Last edited by Rainbow Wavedash on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

Re: pretty [NaNoRenO 2014] [Paranormal]

#2 Post by Shoko »

So I just finished playing this: I really enjoyed it! The art was really well done, especially the CGs. The story was also nicely paced, although I saw the twist coming a mile away (well, one of them). The music was really nice too, especially the dramatic tracks. I've got a spoilery question though:
After the credits for my first playthrough, it says I got the "Bad End." Does that mean there are more ends or is that just the name of the only end? If so it misdirected me into thinking there was more than one.
Overall, very nicely done. It's intrigued me to find out what you guys have made and will make in the future.

Rainbow Wavedash
Regular

Re: pretty [NaNoRenO 2014] [Paranormal]

#3 Post by Rainbow Wavedash »

Shoko wrote:So I just finished playing this: I really enjoyed it! The art was really well done, especially the CGs. The story was also nicely paced, although I saw the twist coming a mile away (well, one of them).
Was the first twist really a twist? I'm glad we got you with the second one. I hope it warrants a second playthrough from some people to catch all the little hints.
Shoko wrote:The music was really nice too, especially the dramatic tracks. I've got a spoilery question though:
After the credits for my first playthrough, it says I got the "Bad End." Does that mean there are more ends or is that just the name of the only end? If so it misdirected me into thinking there was more than one.
Haha. No. It IS a kinetic novel, but I thought it would be a funny reference to The Question. The joke is that there is no good end. I may need to rethink that one...
Shoko wrote:Overall, very nicely done. It's intrigued me to find out what you guys have made and will make in the future.
Thanks a lot! This was super stressful and fun, so I'm glad that the first comment we got on it was positive.

Gold

Re: pretty [NaNoRenO 2014] [Paranormal] [Kinetic]

#4 Post by Gold »

I thought it was really cool. Made an account just to say that. :) Loved the story. I got caught up and thought there was more than one ending due to the quote and the abundancy of save slots. Played through five more times trying to see if I missed anything. I didn't. :lol: Due to that though, I picked up on all the little hints that were dropped throughout the story.

Rainbow Wavedash
Regular

Re: pretty [Paranormal] [Kinetic] [NaNo 2014]

#5 Post by Rainbow Wavedash »

Updated the final text after the credits.

Ruthalas

#6 Post by Ruthalas »

Made an account to say that this was great.
Excellent work. Thank you!
I saw the first twist, but only had an inkling of the second.
The false credits were perfect!
(Now you've whetted my appetite for Starswirl! Keep up the good work guys.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

Wasn't interested in Starswirl Academy, but with this, damn this is a good team. Only two weeks? You guys rock.

gregiorp

#8 Post by gregiorp »

Really cool finally got around to playing it. Gotta admit that ending... I was not expecting :shock:

Rainbow Wavedash
Regular

#9 Post by Rainbow Wavedash »

Three people made accounts just to post here? We really appreciate it, everyone.

I assume you guys came from the Starswirl blog?

Ruthalas

#10 Post by Ruthalas »

I did. Though I also lurk your forum. (under the same username, subtly enough)

^.^

helenburns

#11 Post by helenburns »

This appears to be a beautiful visual novel game with good-looking anime-styled art. I will download and play.

MapleWizen

#12 Post by MapleWizen »

This VN had really cute designs, colorful art, decent atmosphere, and a nice TWEEST ending. I really enjoyed it. Keep up the good work OP.

Uncomplicated

#13 Post by Uncomplicated »

Cute little spooky game ;3333 I would love to play more from you <3

xxstrangesoulxx

#14 Post by xxstrangesoulxx »

What an awesome KN! I had a lot of fun playing this. The art was fabulous, the music was nice, and the story itself was intriguing.

Well done. :) Kudos to making this in such a sort amount of time.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#15 Post by AntiquedFae »

I just finished playing it and I enjoyed it very much. It was short, but very well executed. I love how there is a strong sense of foreboding even with all of the cutesiness.
Admittedly, I am a ridiculously massive supernatural/creepy stuff dork and have a strange special fondness for vampires. Probably because of this I actually called both of the twists and got the 'pretty' thing about halfway through the VN(excuse my bragging. I honestly can't resist. I read a lot of mystery novels so I dance around with joy whenever I figure things out before they happen in a story. It's a weakness. :oops: Anyways, what I mean to say is that even with my figuring this out before hand I still loved the ending.
Again, the game is awesome and completely amazing quality for the time it was made in!!! Even without taking into account that it was made for NanoReno, it is a good game. You guys did so fantastic! I'm very impressed and am looking forward to seeing loads more!~ Congratulations! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.