Wikipedia

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Wikipedia

#1 Post by PyTom »

I just noticed that the featured article of the day on Wikipedia is "Bishoujo Game". People who want to check out their article can go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishojo_game

Or for the next few hours,

http://en.wikipedia.org

Just FWIW.

Jerails
Veteran

#2 Post by Jerails »

...Whoa...Holy...Whoa...*Has jumped from Bishoujo gaming, to catgirls (You should have expected that), to yaoi, to fangirl, back to yaoi, and then the Boy Meets Boy webcomic*...WHOA!

Well, it's great to know that Wikipedia has information on pretty much everything...But that leads me to wonder : How do they gather all this info? Do they have undercover workers all over the globe finding out this?!
It's been a while, folks!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Not so much undercover, as simply everywhere. Wikipedia, like other Wikis, works by letting anyone edit any page on the site. People can also contribute new articles about topics of interest to them. The result is that it seems to have articles about almost everything.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#4 Post by Sai »

Hmm I don't see an article for bishounen games, is there none? Maybe I'm just searching wrong.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Sai wrote:Hmm I don't see an article for bishounen games, is there none? Maybe I'm just searching wrong.
There probably isn't. There is the following paragraph in the Bishojo_Game article, which mentions bishonen games, at the same same time pointing out the lack of success of those games:
Wikipedia wrote: For obvious reasons, the market for bishōjo games is almost entirely male. However, starting about in 2000 a few developers have attempted to expand the market by creating games targeted at girls and featuring a cast of attractive boys (bishōnen). The most well-known and mainstream of these is Konami's experiment Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's side (2002). There have also appeared a small number of erotic games featuring male-male homosexual relationships (yaoi games), which take their roots from the parallel yaoi manga subculture. However, at present the female population represents no more than a small niche for the industry.
There is also an article on Yaoi games.

Why doesn't Wikipedia have an article on Bishonen Games? I'm not even sure that that term is a real one, not having heard it outside of this forum. It makes sense, but it could be some sort of coinage. Wikipedia would seem to put that game underneath the category of Bishoujo games, which is probably right from an evolutionary perspective if not a classification one.

Anyway, if you think that there's enough to say in such an article, you can always create it.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#6 Post by chronoluminaire »

If you check the history or talk page for that page, you'll see I was one of the contributors for the chunk on Bishoujo games in the West :D Along with the articles on Season of the Sakura, AnimePlay, and several others... :)

chronoluminaire, aka AlexChurchill <-- has spent too much time on WikiPedia :oops: :)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#7 Post by Sai »

Well the Megatokyo FAQ has a bit of a section for bishounen games here http://s93010867.onlinehome.us/xfer/dsv ... 2.html#1.5 . But yeah the majority is bishoujo games.
I suppose I could write an article. Although any information would be taken from places like Megatokyo anyway and nothing new and I'm not keen on ripping off Megatokyo. There are some other sites listing bishounen games I guess though.

We girls need more of a representation, tch =)

batpig
Bishie Hunter

#8 Post by batpig »

Sai wrote:Well the Megatokyo FAQ has a bit of a section for bishounen games here http://s93010867.onlinehome.us/xfer/dsv ... 2.html#1.5 . But yeah the majority is bishoujo games.
I suppose I could write an article. Although any information would be taken from places like Megatokyo anyway and nothing new and I'm not keen on ripping off Megatokyo. There are some other sites listing bishounen games I guess though.

We girls need more of a representation, tch =)
If you ever want to write this article, I can help you somewhat. I think the megatokyo article is a little bit off in forgetting to mention Angelique and the other Neoromance game series from Koei, which are pretty much the biggest and most influential bishounen game titles (Angelique being probably the first game ever to target girl audience).
"Instead of you being the princess all the time, why won't you let me be the princess instead, and you can be the prince." (Or something to this effect)
-Francis to Ange (Angelique Etoile)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#9 Post by Sai »

batpig wrote:If you ever want to write this article, I can help you somewhat. I think the megatokyo article is a little bit off in forgetting to mention Angelique and the other Neoromance game series from Koei, which are pretty much the biggest and most influential bishounen game titles (Angelique being probably the first game ever to target girl audience).
Thanks, that's nice of you.
Yeah I'm attempting to piece together something right now actually. But it would only be something to outline the main points and get the ball rolling (in other words it won't be much hehe).
If as people say, it's possible for others to edit created articles on Wikipedia then you could certainly go in and flesh it out. That'd be great.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Sai wrote:Yeah I'm attempting to piece together something right now actually. But it would only be something to outline the main points and get the ball rolling (in other words it won't be much hehe).
If as people say, it's possible for others to edit created articles on Wikipedia then you could certainly go in and flesh it out. That'd be great.
That's okay, that would be great to just get something started.. Often all you have to do is add a few sentences, and then the Wikipedia bunch will jump in and add, rearrange, contribute and expand it :) Let us know if you do! You could also put links to it from a few other pages like Bishoujo game - or, again, let others do that. That's the way Wikipedia works :)