Jitteh Dawn (Linux version now up)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ivlivs
Veteran

Jitteh Dawn (Linux version now up)

#1 Post by Ivlivs »

Well, I've done it. I've finally completed a VN.

十手黎明 ~ Jitteh Dawn

Premise: You are Hogi Hasekura, an eager student who wants to find out a secret about the once-glorious Ippongi family.

Yes, I know that the proper spelling is "jitte," but I wanted to make it easier to pronounce for those who aren't familiar with Japanese pronunciation.

Here are some screenshots, as well as the program itself.
jd-screen1.png
jd-screen2.png
Jitteh Dawn release 1.2.3.zip
(34.57 MiB) Downloaded 2335 times
UPDATE: Mac OS X version now up.
Jitteh Dawn release 1.2.3-mac.zip
(34.28 MiB) Downloaded 1233 times
UPDATE: Linux version now up, at the request of Barz. Should have done this sooner, but the other two just took so long to upload that I didn't even bother.
Jitteh Dawn release 1.2.3-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(34.39 MiB) Downloaded 655 times
Please enjoy!
Last edited by Ivlivs on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Jitteh Dawn

#2 Post by DaFool »

Congratulations! It's a nice surprise :D

Being able to complete a VN without talking about it first... you have my utmost respect.

Ivlivs
Veteran

Re: Jitteh Dawn

#3 Post by Ivlivs »

Thanks, DaFool. I figured that there was no point in announcing a project that I wasn't even sure I could complete. Then there's the issue of anticipation..."stealth projects" are the way to go, if you ask me.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

Re: Jitteh Dawn (Mac OS X version now up)

#4 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Hey there! I just finished the game, and I really enjoyed it.

My favorite aspect was the story-line. It was a fascinating mystery. Only one gripe:
I really wish the mystery would have been related to the half-demon thing. The explanation you gave was interesting, but a more mythical approach using the half-demon reference in the beginning would have been even more interesting.
Overall, this game was really good! Great writing, an original idea, and an overall great VN! :3

Congratulations!

Ivlivs
Veteran

#5 Post by Ivlivs »

So, PrettySammy09, you got the best ending on the first go? Well that's good to hear. :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Heh, I got one of the
police ones

Good writing... you got the pseudo-Japan feel really nice.
Coffee saves your life? WTF. :shock:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Overall fun game... would have reached best ending first try except that I intentionally saved and ran the other way expecting to hit an ending that way faster first. :)
My main criticism with this is that the tone/seriousness of it was sort of uneven... we started out with this mythology bit, then very very real-world normal stuff, then suddenly a gigantic pile of slightly unbelievable plot happenings (getting that lost, abandoned houses, being found when you weren't even anywhere in particular, her being a relative, the general impression that death by starvation happens within a couple of hours...) and then finally the explanation of the family secret, which raised a whole lot more questions than it answered, especially about the gameworld. So my final response was more 'Huh?' and a desire to jump in and argue with the characters.
Anyway, it was entertaining and an interesting break from chasing girls. ;)

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#8 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Ivlivs wrote:So, PrettySammy09, you got the best ending on the first go? Well that's good to hear. :)
Oh no! I did all the endings in order -1,2,3,4! XD I just played nonstop to get them all!! That's how much fun it was!

(Pfft....me? Get the best ending on the first try? Yeah right. Talk to chromulnaire about Elven Relations... I'm the worst ending-getter on this forum!)

Ivlivs
Veteran

#9 Post by Ivlivs »

I wrote this thing with no outline whatsoever.
Last edited by Ivlivs on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

Hm, played it and enjoyed it, even if the timeline feels a bit compressed in places.

Are all the resources original?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ivlivs
Veteran

#11 Post by Ivlivs »

No - quite the opposite, in fact. Almost all of the art is free - the places I got it from are right there on the title screen.

Ignosco
Veteran

#12 Post by Ignosco »

Very interesting, congratulations :D -
I got Ending 5 first en route to 4 then I got 3, 2 and 1 in that order. For me, Endings 1 and 2 were much better done and were more credible and intriguing than 3 and 4. I'll wait a while before doing the full review, to see if you're able to find a character artist.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by DaFool »

While I have seen the art before (i.e. in Japanese pieces), this is the first time seeing them in an OELVN. So you have at least that lockdown on first-exposure.

Art is like music, you always remember the first time you encountered them (e.g. you hear a tune while driving through a cornfield, the next time you hear the song you are reminded of cornfields).

I must say the use of the art was very effective, they do not seem alien to this project.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by gekiganwing »

This story was fascinating, and it worked just fine on OS X. I liked the characterization -- no bizarre stereotypes. I especially liked the "alternate modern Earth" setting. As far as I could tell, it was the equivalent of 1993 or earlier, since the hero had heard rumors of computer networks, but had never experienced a BBS.

I was still thinking about the story afterward, trying to figure out the way in which the events were related. Let's see...
1. At one time, there was some feudal lord who married a half demon. This practice was apparently shunned. 2. Their relationship is apparently not well-documented in history books. 3. There is a family, including a teacher and a boyfriend, with which the protagonist and his sister interact, which is said to trace back to the dishonored lord. 4. This family is immune to at least one lethal modern disease. 5. The current emperor, who has political power, is out to get them.

From those five facts, I concluded that the family, including the teacher and the boyfriend, were all (secretly) descended from the half-demon. Is that a logical conclusion?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

I have a question, since I wanted to play this game, but then I saw that thread asking for assistance in replacing the graphics... is this game "complete"? Or are you still working on it? I'm asking because if it was complete, we'd like to mirror it on the RAA (http://www.renai.us) - if you give us permission.