RenPy for Windows Mobile 6?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

RenPy for Windows Mobile 6?

#1 Post by EwanG »

Just got a new T-Mobile Dash phone. It's like an iPhone, except it's much cheaper ($75 for the phone with a 4-gig microSD card), the service plan is more reasonable, and it has a keyboard. Downside is somewhat smaller screen and no touch features...

Anyway, the thing has Windows Mobile 6 on it, and it occurred to me that if there was a distribution of RenPy that would run on it (or at least a version of SciTe that would run on it), I could probably fit some time in each day to do a little programming. So, IS there such a version of RenPy or SciTe?

TIA,
Ewan
Working on something... might even be something good :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: RenPy for Windows Mobile 6?

#2 Post by PyTom »

While I don't know of scite being supported on Windows Mobile, there are certainly many other text editors that work on that platform. You can find a list of free text editors here:

http://www.freewareppc.com/docs/docs_texteditors.shtml

(cke looks pretty nice)

While it would be possible to port to windows mobile sometime in the future, it's difficult enough that I'm in no rush to do so. (Cross-compiling python is very hard.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

zefie

#3 Post by zefie »

PyTom wrote:While I don't know of scite being supported on Windows Mobile, there are certainly many other text editors that work on that platform. You can find a list of free text editors here:

http://www.freewareppc.com/docs/docs_texteditors.shtml

(cke looks pretty nice)

While it would be possible to port to windows mobile sometime in the future, it's difficult enough that I'm in no rush to do so. (Cross-compiling python is very hard.)
If it helps any, there is a build of Python for Windows CE. I don't have my Windows Mobule device yet, since I just baught it off eBay yesterday, but I was playing with Microsoft's Device Emulator, and got PythonCE to install on Windows Mobile 5, however pygame would not install, saying something about distutils being missing. I don't know anything about python so maybe it'd be easier for you.

http://pythonce.sourceforge.net/

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

A friend of mine runs Python on his Windows Mobile 5 device. I keep meaning to find out whether Ren'Py could run on top of that on mine, since my device has a 640x480 screen and so could actually run some of the smallest Ren'Py games. Most WM devices only have a 320x240 screen, which wouldn't run any Ren'Py game that I know of.

But on an unrelated note, I do write quite a bit of Ren'Py code on my PDA - just in the little notepad text editor that comes with Total Commander. (Or sometimes Pocket Word, but that has the irritating habit of capitalising the first letter of each line, even when you turn that option off.) I just write the first pass at the code on my PDA, and then transfer it to my computer to test it.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Well, screen size isn't much of a problem. You can just turn on imouto-mode, and it should work.

The big problem would be cross-compiling everything that Ren'Py depends on. Right now, the build process assumes that it's running on the target system, and I don't know how to change that.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom