Basiliska [Fantasy][KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Carrogath
Regular
Completed: Basiliska, Green Eyed Monster
Tumblr: carrogath

Basiliska [Fantasy][KN]

#1 Post by Carrogath »

Fantasy | Kinetic Novel | ~1 hr. | 13+

DOWNLOADS: Windows | Mac | Linux

Mirror (Dropbox): Windows | Mac | Linux
Summary

Cecily, sorceress, ex-convict, and shopkeeper extraordinaire, receives a summons delivered to her door by none other than Orson, the resident magical government representative. In a desperate attempt to avoid talking to people she doesn't like, she hatches a plan with the local pariah to keep her where she is.

Not that said local pariah is aware of this. Or that Cecily necessarily goes through with the plan.

Needless to say, things start to get complicated.

Screenshots
ImageImage
Credits

Script: Carrogath
Art/GUI: Clua
Music/SFX: freemusicarchive.org, freesound.org

Notes

Version 1.0 has been released! It includes a few minor edits and a new extras section.
Last edited by Carrogath on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Basiliska [Fantasy][KN]

#2 Post by MaiMai »

OH WOW, this is a pleasant surprise. Definitely gonna play this.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Yeah!! So happy this got released, thought it was dead.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

TanteDante

#4 Post by TanteDante »

Wow, it has really professional looking graphics :)
And the writing is also very good. I like how the relationship between Cecyle and Thea developed. :D
I've enjoyed it a lot :)

Carrogath
Regular

#5 Post by Carrogath »

Edited the first post with Dropbox mirrors since my antivirus was complaining about malware in the download links. :/ I'll put the original links back up once they've been fixed.
MaiMai wrote:OH WOW, this is a pleasant surprise. Definitely gonna play this.
Hazel-Bun wrote:Yeah!! So happy this got released, thought it was dead.
Yeah, last year was insane for me--a tree fell on our house and smashed our roof in... on a day when it was raining... among other things--so I couldn't get this released quite as quickly as I had hoped. (Don't worry; the roof's been fixed.) I hope you like it!
TanteDante wrote:Wow, it has really professional looking graphics :)
And the writing is also very good. I like how the relationship between Cecyle and Thea developed. :D
I've enjoyed it a lot :)
Hey, thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#6 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Beeeeeeeeeautiful game. The art is perfect. AND THE GUI = AHHHHH~<3 So stunning. And when the return button transformed into the finger and I was like - okay, I'll stop geeking out. I really adore little details like that.

I really enjoyed the characters! I'll admit, when the first dialogue scene with Cecily and Orson, I was like "Why does she have a roundabout way to saying things? Why can't she just be forward?!" But as the story went on, I realized that was her character. And as a result, I shared the same frustration that Thea felt...before the scene during the storm. They have a very intricate relationship, and it was lovely how it unfolded.
I also appreciated how the conclusion was open-ended. Usually that bothers me when things aren't resolved by a story's end, but this time it felt right!
Also, fabulous world-building. I got a sense of everything going outside of Cecily's home without actually ever seeing it. That's fantastic writing, right there.

I really hope you're in the process of making another visual novel! I am now an avid fan of yours. :D

Honest Critique

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#7 Post by KittyKatStar »

Aaah, the art, characters and world-building were excellent! I liked how natural the world-building felt, along with the relationship developed between Cecily and Thea.
When the game ended, I thought I accidentally clicked something, and reloaded. I was really sad to see it end ;-; But the open-endedness felt so right.
Really enjoyed it, thank you for releasing it. <3

Technicolour

#8 Post by Technicolour »

Wow, Basiliska was absolutely gorgeous (both the main art and GUI aaahhhhhhhhhhhh I loved just looking at it)

The story was great as well, I couldn't help but want more at the end. <3 Thank you very much for creating (and sharing) Basiliska.

Carrogath
Regular

#9 Post by Carrogath »

Thanks for your responses everyone! We really appreciate your feedback; I'm really happy people are enjoying the VN. :)
Green Glasses Girl wrote:Beeeeeeeeeautiful game. The art is perfect. AND THE GUI = AHHHHH~<3 So stunning. And when the return button transformed into the finger and I was like - okay, I'll stop geeking out. I really adore little details like that.

I really enjoyed the characters! I'll admit, when the first dialogue scene with Cecily and Orson, I was like "Why does she have a roundabout way to saying things? Why can't she just be forward?!" But as the story went on, I realized that was her character. And as a result, I shared the same frustration that Thea felt...before the scene during the storm. They have a very intricate relationship, and it was lovely how it unfolded.
I also appreciated how the conclusion was open-ended. Usually that bothers me when things aren't resolved by a story's end, but this time it felt right!
Also, fabulous world-building. I got a sense of everything going outside of Cecily's home without actually ever seeing it. That's fantastic writing, right there.

I really hope you're in the process of making another visual novel! I am now an avid fan of yours. :D
I am, actually! I won't be ready to make a WIP thread for a while longer, but you can bet you'll be seeing more from me.
As for the open-endedness: Basiliska is definitely a much longer story than what you see here; there are several more characters and lots of things happening across different countries and such.
I hope to write more of it someday, though it probably won't be a visual novel, haha.
KittyKatStar wrote:Aaah, the art, characters and world-building were excellent! I liked how natural the world-building felt, along with the relationship developed between Cecily and Thea.
When the game ended, I thought I accidentally clicked something, and reloaded. I was really sad to see it end ;-; But the open-endedness felt so right.
Really enjoyed it, thank you for releasing it. <3
Thank you! I spent a looot of time beefing up the setting and the plot so everything would fall into place the way I wanted it to. I'm glad it paid off.

Cecily and Thea have an interesting relationship, to say the least. It is nice to see them getting along though, isn't it?
Whoops! Yeah, sorry if you were a little confused. I'm going to try to make it clearer that you've reached the end in the update.
Technicolour wrote:Wow, Basiliska was absolutely gorgeous (both the main art and GUI aaahhhhhhhhhhhh I loved just looking at it)

The story was great as well, I couldn't help but want more at the end. <3 Thank you very much for creating (and sharing) Basiliska.
You have Clua to thank for that! She's not really active on LSF nowadays, but maybe I can get her to reply to this topic at some point...

And thank you for playing!

Angie
Regular

#10 Post by Angie »

Looks like very interesting game... Indeed, even from screenshots I see the art is beautifull and detailed. And comments from people who played make me so eager to play it too!

I'll surely check it out tonight
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Uncomplicated

#11 Post by Uncomplicated »

This was a beautiful novel to experience. I hope to read more about this world in some form or fashion.

Angie
Regular

#12 Post by Angie »

I really enjoyed this game. So much, I wish the story was longer.

If you ever make a sequel, or make the story longer, that's what you could work on:

- Cecily's past. A lot of questions are lining up in my head... Really lots.
- I like her relationship with Thea, but I think I'd like to see some more development of that.
- Ending came too sonn for me; I feel as if I missed a chapter or something. She changed her decision kind of... nowhere. One more event would be just enough.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#13 Post by fioricca »

Finally played this and I am absolutely in love with the story and characters! Clua's art is GORGEOUS and the character designs are LOVELY. I love the dialogue and writing, although there was one part when I felt that the banter between Cecily and Thea was a little tedious. The last scene though was AMAZING and something about the composition and the colours really got to me. I also turned on AUTO when I played this and it felt soooo good to see the mouths open during dialogue and close when they're done talking. Very nice touch that really accentuated the stage feel. In short;

Good aspects:
--- amazing story
--- AMAZING ART, I LOVE the colour palette and designs
--- really effective use of resources
--- high level of polish in the UI and little ATL
--- even the orchestra music you picked helped to build up the mood even more, I can't think of anything better.

Not-so-good aspects:
--- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

A+ story, A+ characterisation and A+ presentation. Consider me a rabid fan now and I can't wait to see more of your works! Well done and congrats on the release!

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#14 Post by Reikun »

Ahh, that was very nice and short!! The style with the fade-ins and the different scenes made me feel like I was watching a play! In fact, I could totally see this being performed by live actors on stage *__* I think it would be lovely.

I loved the characters a lot! Their designs and their attitudes were very distinct from one another. I bet I could pick out whose line belonged to who without seeing the name label. I really enjoyed the world that was being built throughout the story and I demand a sequel I would love to see more stories with these characters! And Clua's art is really very beautiful ;0; <3 I loved Cecily's color palette and her outfit change in the last CG. Her smoking pose is my favorite haha~

Some minor critiques on presentation: I feel it would have been better if the transition text ("One week later...", etc) was centered rather than in the top left corner. It's easy to miss up there! I also felt the hand graphic when returning from the preferences menu was cool, but unnecessary. It confused me a little at first because it looks like it's pointing back at the preferences so I wasn't sure it would actually return me to where I was previously if I clicked on it (almost like it was telling me the way to return was where the hand pointed too).

Overall, this was a gorgeous little KN : ) Congrats on the release (I know, a bit late to say). Looking forward to more works from both of you!
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#15 Post by Cafechan »

Exited to play this! I'm a fan of Clua's past works, so I'm drawn to the art here = ) I'll give more feedback once I've finished it!