「Nay's art stuff」(critiques / feedback welcome!)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

Re: 「Nay's art stuff」(critiques / feedback welcome!)

#1 Post by Rozume »

I really like your style, especially the thick lines and bright colors. I'm not an expert on critiquing art, but what I will suggest is to vary your line width - lines near the light source are thinner than lines away. Your poses also look a bit stiff - look for the gesture, the movement of things.

It's harder for me to critique your anatomy, since you stylize and simplify things. If you feel your anatomy is off look at references!

Also, for the airship and cockpit concept art - keep in mind for the final art that these are mechanical objects so there will be no organic lines/shapes going on.

I hope this helps!

pineapplepocky
Regular

#2 Post by pineapplepocky »

You have a tendency to draw your legs slanted to the right. Draw a straight line down from the middle of nose/chin if it helps. It's not that obvious, but it seems like a common trend in all your sprites. Sometimes their thighs are kind of on the skinny side.

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/

Disciple

#3 Post by Disciple »

Uhm I'm not an expert, so just take it easy with me ^^;

I think your style is ok, but if you want to achieve smoother and crisp line art, you have to work on it. Also, I like your new colour pallette more; I love soft colour. But you have to work on your gradation, make it simpler and cleaner, and look at the lighting source.
For your last picture, hmmm... maybe try to look at references, and draw from photo. Again, it's about your understanding with gradation and how nature works. Like that water, if you want to show clear water, you have to make it 'transparent', show the sand and feet, and getting more... un-transparent (if it's a legit word, I'd be shocked).Learn how to colour rock, ground, sand, sky, clouds and all. Where the lighting goes, be steady with everything. Where will the shadow fall, how about putting more highlight where the light falls, and shadow for the other side? Put more depth in it, and you'll get more volume in your drawing. And don't forget, perspective rules.

Also, try to draw real life photos. Look at references and recreate the same thing on another canvas. That way, you'll understand everything better, and probably will make more wonderful cartoon and anime style. Or better, your own style ;p

Sorry for my limited words, but I hope you get it.^^
Keep practicing, that's how everyone get better. (Yeah, I know, I have to practice more too instead of playing all the time -_-)

Good luck!

miraiparasol
Projects: The Brink of Debt
IRC Nick: Mirai

#4 Post by miraiparasol »

I think your two main areas that you need to improve are convincing that the character is 3D(Perspective) as well as a little anatomy

I had a little time so I went over the girl with the sword (sorry not the best quality because I don't have my tablet)
so first off you tend to make the arms a little long (as well as in the other two images), as a rule of thumb I normally align the wrists at the crotch. Shorten those up her hand should be a little bit smaller as well.

The second thing that could be improved upon would be the legs. They're just a tad too long. Normally they're equal to the size of half the body. Since this is stylistic it doesn't look abnormal and you can really make the legs however long you'd like. I'd say they look fine.

Another thing I'd point out about the anatomy would be the feet. Naturally if she is facing forward the feet should as well.
You can also see that the shorts on her right leg appear to be straight. That line should be curved so you can convey depth. You have to remember that legs are cylindrical in shape so if your drawing a cylinder from an angle and you place a cloth on it, you should see the curve.
Oh and don't forget about the direction of the wind. I don't think I need to say more on that.

Now here comes the tricky part I'm going to attempt to explain. with the way that she stands. You've put her right leg at an odd position. If she's lunging out towards her sword, her body would also be twisting in the direction of that sword. But she's not. To make this look a little more natural (without changing the stance too much you're going to be using forced perspective (other wise known as foreshortening. Good skill to learn but takes a lot of patience) So here I provided another image (also poor in quality, I apologize)
You can see that the thigh was shortened and pulled up a bit more to achieve that foreshortened look.

Overall I think you have a really nice style developing, I agree with @Disciple about references, don't be afraid to use them!
I think you know this, but keep practicing. Not only practice, but know what you need to improve!

Best of luck!