Alternative to VAA?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Alternative to VAA?

#16 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Greeny wrote:I hope I'm not responsible for costing you an opportunity or anything...

Oh, no, no, no! You've done nothing wrong. I'm just a giant scaredy-cat . . . your unreasonable reception by the forum sort of amplified existing anxieties. But I've not made my final decision yet. It won't be entirely based on what happened to you, anyway. Please don't feel as if you've done anything amiss. That's not true.

But I wouldn't give up on trying to figure out what happened while looking into other opportunities.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

I'll just point out that as a mod, it doesn't take much for me to ban new users as spambots. If your first message consists mostly of a URL, I'm likely to ban you - epecially if that URL doesn't seem obviously relevant. (Also, if your sig consists entirely of a URL.) I don't think I've banned any legit users - but I can't be sure.

Basically, never attribute to deliberate malice what can adequately be explained by overactive spam senses.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#18 Post by Greeny »

Well okay, I did have a URL in my signature, but anyone who read my post would know that's because I'm a producer.
I mean, you'd be giving the robots too much credit when if my post talks about voice acting and producing visual novels and being a member of VAA and that URL links to an indie visual novel wordpress site rather than selling pills then I'm probably a real person...

Overactive spam senses or not, that's still no way to treat new arrivals. Even robots.
I have a sensitive soul, you know.

[ PyTom notices the links in my signature, suddenly realizes I'm a spambot ]

[ Greeny gets perma-banned from Lemma Soft ]

[ cue Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, lightning strikes in the background ]
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#19 Post by Mad Harlequin »

PyTom wrote:Basically, never attribute to deliberate malice what can adequately be explained by overactive spam senses.
"Overactive spam senses" don't really explain anything, IMHO. Any mod worth his or her salt won't hit the ban button as a knee-jerk reaction to what was surely a legitimate post, and even if a mistaken ban does occur, a sensible mod would at least hear out related complaints. If Greeny's well-written, comprehensive posts here are any indication, I can't imagine that the offending post at VAA was anything even remotely resembling something produced by a spambot.

It's one thing to overreact out of a genuine desire to prevent spam, but quite another to do so out of willful blindness.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Angie
Regular

#20 Post by Angie »

Greeny wrote:Well okay, I did have a URL in my signature, but anyone who read my post would know that's because I'm a producer.
I mean, you'd be giving the robots too much credit when if my post talks about voice acting and producing visual novels and being a member of VAA and that URL links to an indie visual novel wordpress site rather than selling pills then I'm probably a real person...
Well, exactly. Given this conditions - plus, as Harlequin said, the style of Greeny's nice writing I can't imagine how we can qualify this as 'overactive spam senses'.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder