Looking for free BG artist, composer and maybe programmer

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
ReeReen
Organization: Temporarily looking :)

Re: Looking for free illustrator, composer and maybe program

#16 Post by ReeReen »

Hello there. I guess I can do free art for you ^^
Please PM me if you like me to do the job :)

Haika
Regular
IRC Nick: Haika

#17 Post by Haika »

Rinima wrote:
Hang on.... are you saying there are at least 15 key characters? O.o
It is like this...
There are 4 protagonists (key characters) (1 protagonist, but 3 are the closest friends and they will also be the first protagonist in another project. Which means, I only need someone to draw the characters and backgrounds once, then I use it for many stories/projects.). So of course they should have more poses and expressions.

The other 6 characters are minor. They accompany a bit, and then they might be either gone or appear in some circumstances.

And the others are possible antagonists (it have at least 2 or 3 antagonist).

I was saying the minimum, because I don't know, maybe the minor might increase.

Angie
Regular

#18 Post by Angie »

Haika wrote:
Rinima wrote:
Hang on.... are you saying there are at least 15 key characters? O.o
It is like this...
There are 4 protagonists (key characters) (1 protagonist, but 3 are the closest friends and they will also be the first protagonist in another project. Which means, I only need someone to draw the characters and backgrounds once, then I use it for many stories/projects.). So of course they should have more poses and expressions.

The other 6 characters are minor. They accompany a bit, and then they might be either gone or appear in some circumstances.

And the others are possible antagonists (it have at least 2 or 3 antagonist).

I was saying the minimum, because I don't know, maybe the minor might increase.
If you plan to write a long and developed story, then I guess it's not that many characters.
Do you have an idea of how many words your story will have?
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Haika
Regular

#19 Post by Haika »

Angie wrote:
If you plan to write a long and developed story, then I guess it's not that many characters.
Do you have an idea of how many words your story will have?
Well the characters help the stories. There are many stories each chapters.
I think it would have more than 2000 words each chapter.
And I'm going to write 17 chapters in total.

Angie
Regular

#20 Post by Angie »

It gives us around... 34 000 words, right? Seems to me like a lot of characters for that amount of words.

Haika
Regular

#21 Post by Haika »

Angie wrote:It gives us around... 34 000 words, right? Seems to me like a lot of characters for that amount of words.
Well I'm not quite sure yet. It could be more than 2000 words. This is just a calculation.

Angie
Regular

#22 Post by Angie »

Even if it's just a calculation...

Just for reference, I've got myself 6 key characters + main character (so, let's say, 7 of them) plus probably a few minor ones.
And my word count is pretty close to yours (I plan to have ~30 000 words).

Now, if you have so many characters it may be easy to focus on dialogue and lost players in the story.
I'm not saying your ideas are bad or anything, it's just tha you should be careful.
Looking for editor as well could be a good idea (so he/she could make sure the script is as it should be).

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#23 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Haika wrote:1. The project's story will be about school life, comedy, friendship. With the cool protagonist, and his struggle in life and subjects.
Have you calculated how long it would take most artists to create what you are asking for? It would be hundreds of hours. You need more than one vague sentence to convince an artist to commit to that for free.

You might want to add more information on your story, and even better, include some writing samples from it.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#24 Post by Rinima »

TrickWithAKnife wrote: Have you calculated how long it would take most artists to create what you are asking for? It would be hundreds of hours. You need more than one vague sentence to convince an artist to commit to that for free.
This is what I was getting at before. Your asking for an artist to do a job that could take up a huge amount of time with no payment.

It's only your first project, cut it down a bit, making it to big is a common mistake first time developers (myself included in that so I know what I'm talking about).
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Haika
Regular

#25 Post by Haika »

Okay, thanks for the advices. I will see what I can do.
And update some information if necessary.

whitty-boo
Regular
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino, Connection Pending, Cadence is Elsewhere
Tumblr: jwhitnee

#26 Post by whitty-boo »

Rinima wrote:
This is what I was getting at before. Your asking for an artist to do a job that could take up a huge amount of time with no payment.

It's only your first project, cut it down a bit, making it to big is a common mistake first time developers (myself included in that so I know what I'm talking about).

I agree. Reading through I think you're making the same mistake I have made before where you're adding characters not because the story NEEDS it, but because you want the character to exist in the story. Art and music isn't created overnight, I consider my turnaround time to be fairly quick, and that's at most 2-3 characters a week. That's if I spent all my free time doing character work and then some. I know its fine if an artist offers to do something for free, but in return you shouldn't expect that much work out of one poor guy for no payment.

Its okay to be ambitious, but I advise (for your own sake, so you don't repeat the same mistakes I did) to start things off small and build your way up. If you want to do a chapter series, great. Do one chapter first. Make it a chapter with a conclusion at the end, like an introduction or prologue. Make art for only one chapter first. And most importantly, try to limit your cast to something as small as possible. Add only the characters you truly need. Pretend you have a budget and each character costs a certain % of that. Leave room in that pretend budget for music, editors, and programmers. Doing this will make you more aware of the work you're asking people to do for something that isn't theirs.

On top of that, you'd also get to show people "Hey, I've made a VN before, here's a link to it, I know what I'm doing, trust me on this one."

Email or PM me for rates | www.jwhitneyart.com

Haika
Regular

Re: Looking for free BG artist, composer and maybe programme

#27 Post by Haika »

Don't worry, I will try changing the description into some dialogue, and some of the unimportant character dialogue into some description.
But now, I still focused on recruiting... If I don't start from now, it will take more hours.
I know people take hours on working, I know how does it feel, and I know they also have life.
I understand, so usually I gave them lots of time. I don't care how long (I don't know how hard it is), as long as it's finished soon, I'm okay.
Something like this need some patient like coding.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#28 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Have you considered using resources from Mugen's fee resource thread. He has posted a massive number of great backgrounds, especially for a school setting, for free. He has also uploaded the extremely detailed models he created for the BGs, which are also free to use.

If you use these, you could have a large number of nice BGs right away. Might want to check his thread for exact rules of use though.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=17302
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Haika
Regular

#29 Post by Haika »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Have you considered using resources from Mugen's fee resource thread. He has posted a massive number of great backgrounds, especially for a school setting, for free. He has also uploaded the extremely detailed models he created for the BGs, which are also free to use.

If you use these, you could have a large number of nice BGs right away. Might want to check his thread for exact rules of use though.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=17302
Thanks. Well, this might be a bit complicated, because I want my own background.
So I want 'this' kind of school. Something like that.
But I guess it's harder to find BGs and CGs artist than sprites.

thepurringdevilslove

#30 Post by thepurringdevilslove »

Hey there, i just read trough all of this and wanted to say something too.
As far as i understood you plan to make visual novel and plan to get everything like bg an cg artists, all for free while still not having the script done, right?
Honestly, i recommend that you first finish the script before recruiting. And since you already have a sprite artists willing to help dont give her/him work until you are done.
I am an artist myself and i can tell you its a hell lot of work to make good art. It takes much of time as well. Imagine if you cancel the project and the artist and composers already started? you waste their time like that if you do really cacel it some day. People sometimes understime that. Character sketch, expressions, lineart, coloring & shading. Also need to be clean and neet for the game. And making for 3 poses, too for such an amout is too much for free work.
Regarding the BG, CG art and music, i am sure you want at least some quality, but you cant expect people to just help for free. Even more for such a big amout. You will have a hard time finding someone willing to help. If you do, its good for you, but consider the poeple working for you. Art and music has a value and i think its bad for people to just "sell "their work for free to help you without being sure if you even finish it. Also , its better to stick to free art (BG) for the beginning. there are tons of good ones.If you really want it to be self made, use the free ones first and make a demo version. If people like the demo, it would pay of make own BG art, but if not you shouldnt do it.
CG art does takes the most work, how can you recruit if you dont have planned them? Also the artists styles need to fit!
The music needs to fit the mood and it takes time, too. Searching for people able to do that is not as hard as doing it yourself.
So dont rush, finish the script and if you are done, ask again for help! If you finished it you might give more details about the characters etc. too so there will be more people interessed. But first DO finish it and ask afterwards for help. Not other way around.