Feedback/Critique on Voice Acting? + (Free) VA for Hire

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
theskiesareblue
Regular

Feedback/Critique on Voice Acting? + (Free) VA for Hire

#1 Post by theskiesareblue »

Admittedly, I am a complete newb to voice acting - and you can probably tell from my demo reel that I am, but I thought it would be really fun to try it out as a little side hobby. If anyone is actually willing to have me in their project (which would be actually crazy amazing IMO) I'm psyched. I would super duper appreciate any feedback on my voice acting- eg. would you hire me, which part sounds awkward, etc. Please keep it nice though~ I'm just a noobie ;)

This is an uber short reel that consists only of female LoL characters (because I felt like it, and I would suck at male characters anyway)
https://soundcloud.com/hanasonica/demo- ... mpressions

Hopefully if I get positive feedback I'll try more demo reels and stuff but ciao for now~

Projects I am Interested In:
-Visual Novels
-Fandubs
-RPG/Any other gaming platform
+more (will add more later)

Things that I will not do:
-Erotic ish stuff (18+) <--just no.
-Profuse swearing (I'm okay with very mild swearing)
+more (")
Last edited by theskiesareblue on Sun May 11, 2014 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Feedback/Critique on Voice Acting?

#2 Post by fleet »

I listened to your demo. I don't have any complaints. I think your voice acting would work well in a visual novel. I would suggest more samples of your voice without the 'sinister echo'.
You said you wanted to try voice acting as a hobby. I assume you mean you are willing to work for free.
You might also mention what sorts of projects interest you, and if there are any 'I don't do' restrictions.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

theskiesareblue
Regular

#3 Post by theskiesareblue »

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'll definitely add in those extra bits of information in the post - and hope to grow my portfolio ASAP. :))

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#4 Post by Sorakun »

So, I listened to your demo real, only a couple of things to comment ont.

Firstly, you sounded kind of nervous in most of the clips, I think you need to try and relax a bit more - though this might just be a bit of a personal feeling so take it with a grain of salt.

Secondly, When doing a demo reel you really shouldn't use extra sound effects on your voice, it should just be your voice as is, that way people can hear clearly what you sound like and what your potential could be.

Finally, I thought you had an amazing voice and switched between the different characters very well, so if you fix the two things above, or just the second point. I think you will do great, Of course keep practicing to get even better but you have a great voice.

If your available at the time I finish my current project, ill contact you about doing one of the voices if that is ok? will be your decision if you want to do it ofc.

theskiesareblue
Regular

#5 Post by theskiesareblue »

Sorakun wrote:So, I listened to your demo real, only a couple of things to comment ont.

Firstly, you sounded kind of nervous in most of the clips, I think you need to try and relax a bit more - though this might just be a bit of a personal feeling so take it with a grain of salt.

Secondly, When doing a demo reel you really shouldn't use extra sound effects on your voice, it should just be your voice as is, that way people can hear clearly what you sound like and what your potential could be.

Finally, I thought you had an amazing voice and switched between the different characters very well, so if you fix the two things above, or just the second point. I think you will do great, Of course keep practicing to get even better but you have a great voice.

If your available at the time I finish my current project, ill contact you about doing one of the voices if that is ok? will be your decision if you want to do it ofc.
Thanks for the suggestion~ :) I guess I'm more used to the dramatic/gaming scene of voice acting but I will try to release more raw samples of my voice in the future^^ and I would be thrilled to participate in your project - is it a VN or something of that sort? And when do you estimate you will finish your project? btw, feel free to pm me when needed!

Sorakun
Regular

#6 Post by Sorakun »

It is a VN, I can't say a definite time, but at current progress it should be finished in the next few months, I will probably be able to give a better estimate next week.

I shall message you when I have a better timeline :)

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#7 Post by plaster »

I forget her name but the ice queen impression was the best. Like, really had a mature timbre to it. Good job!

theskiesareblue
Regular

#8 Post by theskiesareblue »

plaster wrote:I forget her name but the ice queen impression was the best. Like, really had a mature timbre to it. Good job!
Ah, you must be talking about Lissandra! :D Thank you so much for the compliment, I'm glad you liked that impression ^^

Sorakun
Regular

Re: Feedback/Critique on Voice Acting? + (Free) VA for Hire

#9 Post by Sorakun »

A few quick questions for you about jobs you might want,

What kind of genre would you most prefer doing?
What kind of character age range do you think you would be able to do?
Are there any specific topics you are not willing to do other than the ones posted in your original post?

theskiesareblue
Regular

#10 Post by theskiesareblue »

Sorakun wrote:A few quick questions for you about jobs you might want,

Are there any specific topics you are not willing to do other than the ones posted in your original post?
If by genre you mean gaming platform, I'd say the things I listed above (visual novels, fandubs, RPGS etc.)
However, my main preference is for original games/animations, especially otomes and RPGs (alice/catherine style).
As for age range, I can voice very young children, all the way to mature women. I can try my hand at boys - more likely prepubescent or shoujo, although I think I sound better when I'm speaking korean/japanese but definitely not men. ;u;

Sorakun
Regular

#11 Post by Sorakun »

theskiesareblue wrote:
Sorakun wrote:A few quick questions for you about jobs you might want,

If by genre you mean gaming platform, I'd say the things I listed above (visual novels, fandubs, RPGS etc.)
However, my main preference is for original games/animations, especially otomes and RPGs (alice/catherine style).
As for age range, I can voice very young children, all the way to mature women. I can try my hand at boys - more likely prepubescent or shoujo, although I think I sound better when I'm speaking korean/japanese but definitely not men. ;u;
By genre I mean like if you would prefer an action or romance or comedy type game?

theskiesareblue
Regular

#12 Post by theskiesareblue »

To be honest, I really enjoy all those three out of any other genre I can think of. Anything where I can explore different vocal/situational styles and expand my skill range. :)) I guess action and romance are my forte though, since they are usually more emotionally engaging - and anything that makes me feel fuzzy in the heart is just <3

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#13 Post by pickle131 »

There seems to be some sort of echo or hiss throughout your recording. Some producers may not mind so much, but a lot of the more professional projects can't hire people who have this. Perhaps some noise removal may help? If not, look up some techniques online for soundproofing spaces to prevent echo, or maybe rent a better mic if that's the problem. (At music stores you can sometimes rent decent microphones for $10/month.) For soundproofing to start off, some people are able to get a decent effect with either blankets or egg cartons (there are tutorials online). If you decide this is something you want to keep doing, I've been hearing fabulous things about the kaotica eyeball and I'm thinking of getting one myself haha. I also recommend if you make a demo reel to use original voices, or if you're going to base characters in your demo reel off of existing characters, make them your own (not an imitation) and chance the names so that people may not make the connection. That way it helps represent things that YOU can do, not your rendition of what others can do C: You also mentionned that you're interested in Fandubs? The Voice Acting Alliance would be a good place to find some of those to get started. Audio dramas on there are also a really good way to practice creating a character, since you have only your voice to work with. It's great practice since the entire character is portrayed through voice only and you really have to challenge yourself since there are rarely visuals to differentiate between charcacters but each character still needs to have a strong presence.
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

whitty-boo
Regular
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino, Connection Pending, Cadence is Elsewhere
Tumblr: jwhitnee

#14 Post by whitty-boo »

I think a better mic would do you some good. Some letters and your breath catches noise. Also, for a demo reel, I would look for versatility in a voice actor. Try adding more variation. I saw a lot of the evil / sinister villain, try more different types, like a happy teen, a sad adult, a child, an angry woman... you want all kinds of emotions to be present to show you can handle more than just 1 type of character dialogue.

Email or PM me for rates | www.jwhitneyart.com

theskiesareblue
Regular

#15 Post by theskiesareblue »

pickle131 wrote:There seems to be some sort of echo or hiss throughout your recording. Some producers may not mind so much, but a lot of the more professional projects can't hire people who have this. Perhaps some noise removal may help? If not, look up some techniques online for soundproofing spaces to prevent echo, or maybe rent a better mic if that's the problem. (At music stores you can sometimes rent decent microphones for $10/month.) For soundproofing to start off, some people are able to get a decent effect with either blankets or egg cartons (there are tutorials online). If you decide this is something you want to keep doing, I've been hearing fabulous things about the kaotica eyeball and I'm thinking of getting one myself haha. I also recommend if you make a demo reel to use original voices, or if you're going to base characters in your demo reel off of existing characters, make them your own (not an imitation) and chance the names so that people may not make the connection. That way it helps represent things that YOU can do, not your rendition of what others can do C: You also mentionned that you're interested in Fandubs? The Voice Acting Alliance would be a good place to find some of those to get started. Audio dramas on there are also a really good way to practice creating a character, since you have only your voice to work with. It's great practice since the entire character is portrayed through voice only and you really have to challenge yourself since there are rarely visuals to differentiate between charcacters but each character still needs to have a strong presence.
whitty-boo wrote:I think a better mic would do you some good. Some letters and your breath catches noise. Also, for a demo reel, I would look for versatility in a voice actor. Try adding more variation. I saw a lot of the evil / sinister villain, try more different types, like a happy teen, a sad adult, a child, an angry woman... you want all kinds of emotions to be present to show you can handle more than just 1 type of character dialogue.
Thanks for the feedback guys:)) And just to clear things up, my mic is a blue snowball, which ranges up to 50-100 (depending on where it is bought) so I am hoping that it is serviceable enough for when there's no echo effect placed on it - could it be because I raised my input level too high, resulting in it catching a lot of background noise?

And as for the comment on "variation", I think me naming the track "demo reel" was a mistake on my part, since the track was just a sample of character voices from the same game that I tried out for fun. I'll make sure to clean up my post and widen my portfolio over time :))

@pickle131 - I am a huge fan of your vocal works, and you do not know how much you influenced my voice acting skills :))
@whitty-boo - your art is just <3ee ~ I'm looking forward to more artworks by you in the future^^