How long did it take?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
einari
Regular

Re: How long did it take?

#16 Post by einari »

I doodled since ..around 7? and I started drawing seriously around middle school so It's take me about 8 years (+5 years If I'm include doodled) to be at this level
I'm a slow learner so I usually focus on basics, because I think basics is the most important to make me learn new things quicker
some one tell me I'm already at professional level but I'm not sure, I learn and practice practice practice practice ...I practice again and again and when I think I can do it...It's always have something new to learn
I'm not sure the professional level does exit for me lol

anyway, In my mind I always think I can do it better than this so...yeah.....every day have new lessons or practice to do

oh I forgot to mention some advice :
- always focus and practice the basics art
- always looking for new ref ex. magazine/photo/your Idol/your closet/package (I love to keep snack packages so much ,most of them are design to be cute and look delicious)
- done every picture in best way you can at that time
- envy others who draw better then you, make them as rival that who can be the professional artist quicker (don't envy every thing ,just do like challenge with friends and you want to be the winner)
- art is part of emotion ,stop when you stress ,do it when you ready and have fun with it
- always looking for feedback ,sometime it hurts but it'll make you better real quick

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#17 Post by DarkSin »

I've been drawing since before I could walk. Growing up it was my main hobby. As I grew older the time I spent on drawing kept varying. At times it would be my only hobby and I would draw nonstop after coming back from school. Presently, I draw some days, and some days I don't.

I'm 20, so I've been drawing for what? Like, 18 years? I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I've been told I started with doodles of all sorts of monsters( :P ), and then I started on cartoons (I remember this phase well), and then I started on the anime/manga style. My current drawing style is a result of inspirations from many Japanese artists. It's a mixture of realism, with strong anime features. I tend to use other styles as well, though, depending on my mood, and whether or not if it's for personal purposes.

- I would advise my past self to not take any breaks from drawing (because at this point, to an extent, I have become reliant on this skill). Taking a break seems to stop your progress where it is, and maybe even take it back a few notches. Although I've noticed it builds up a creativity in you, so that when you do resume drawing again it'll be with a drive.

- I would also like for my past self to have spent more time on studying drawing (real images, works of other artists, tutorials, books etc.), and trying to hone my skills, rather than doing it solely as a hobby or an outlet.

pineapplepocky
Regular

#18 Post by pineapplepocky »

I would say a lot of what's been said before (realism, anatomy, that fun stuff), but here are some tips to keep you motivated and continue what you're doing:

1) If someone says your work is 'good' that doesn't mean it's the best. It just means it's good, and needs to get better.
2) Don't always believe someone if they say your work is good. That can be their own opinion or they're being nice to you. If they say it's good but in your little heart you feel something is wrong, speak out. When you say you feel something is wrong, people will try and pick at your work a little deeper. But, if you like it the way it is, give yourself a pat on the back.
3) If someone says your work looks bad, but has some reason to say why, consider their advice--do not immediately follow what they say as an iron clad rule though, if you like what you're doing and don't want to listen to them, that's cool, but at least they pointed out a situation with your work, which is good.
4)If someone says your work is ugly without backing up their claim, you have my permission to slap them
5)Don't look down on yourself all the time. If you suck, that just means you have to get better. That doesn't mean you should stop drawing.

Being an artist never has a 'top' it's just one awesome epic mountain to climb and you get better and better. That's motivation, and you should always be trying to achieve it without stopping.

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#19 Post by hiko27 »

I honestly don't know when I started drawing or doodling, but the earliest I can remember was when I was 9 years old. I probably drew a lot before that, I'm that typical kid who was quiet in class and just doodles a lot. It was more of a hobby than anything, though now I'm considering majoring in Animation to further my skills. So I guess I've been drawing for 10 years now? I'm 19 turning 20 in 5 days. I've only ever taken one art class and it didn't even have anything to do with drawing (It was beg 2d design). I only ever started taking art seriously my senior year when I was freaking out on what to major in (I still am, the pressure ugh).

I don't honestly agree with the fact that you need to master realism first before stylizing it. I get that that's the most logical way to go about it, but you can go the other way as well. I started off with anime then I went to manga and then realism. I may not have mastered either of those but it's not a requirement to start drawing. Just do what you want to do. It's up to you how you want to improve and what road you want to take to get there. You're the best person who'll know what method will make you improve.

Advice?
1. Well, if you can take an art class, I say freaking go for it. Take classes in high school, take classes in college as electives. Look out for free art workshops -- take whatever you can get. The worst thing you can get from them is knowledge.

2. Another would be, well, if you're thinking of doing it professionally, take it seriously and draw everyday. In high school, I doodled a shit ton everyday because I was bored in class. Some of my best works were done in those moments (a few realism ones and two or three pen drawings).

3. Another would be don't be afraid of trying new things. You want to try another style? Then I say go for it. Just because you want to draw and have fun doesn't mean you can't. It's about trying out new things and learning from them. You wanna try mastering hands? Draw hands the wrong way and then see what you went wrong with. This is something that I noticed with most artists. They're too afraid of drawing the wrong thing that they just stop and revert back to whatever they're good at. You won't improve that way. I can't stress enough how this will actually help you improve your skills. In fact, before, when it comes to painting skin digitally, I only just ever stayed in one color and saturation/contrast. That always came out so... boring and not right. An hour or so ago, I tried doing it differently. I just tried going over to other hues and even going as far as blue and this is what I came up with. It's not the best one out there and it certainly isn't the best I know I could do, but it's definitely better than I've ever tried.

4. As mentioned by the OP, observe your surroundings. The best teacher you can have is nature imo.

5. Along with number 3, don't be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, you should make mistakes.

6. Have someone critique your work. I always have either my best friend, one of my friends, or my little sister critique my work because I trust their judgment. Have someone who you trust critique your work, one that you know will help you point out your mistakes and give you constructive criticism. Criticism is one of the best things you can receive to improve yourself.

7. Along with the above number, don't get angry or dismayed when you get criticism on a work that you've worked hard on for a week or something. If they're someone who you trust and you know will be honest with you, it just goes to show that they want you to improve and that you have the potential for greater things.

8. Aim for your best for every drawing. Do it as if your retirement depends on it lol.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov