Arcticus Somnia (VN/historical adventure)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yumechan
Projects: Arcticus Somnia

Arcticus Somnia (VN/historical adventure)

#1 Post by yumechan »

Arcticus Somnia
Play as R.N. Captain James Fitzjames who must navigate treachery, murder, and the bitter arctic chill as you struggle to survive the worst arctic maritime disaster in history.
Historical Background: In 1845 two lavishly equipped ships sailed from England in search of the Northwest Passage. Under the command of old polar hand Sir John Franklin, the expedition seemed destined for greatness where others had failed. Along on the voyage were his second in command Captain Francis Crozier and Commander James Fitzjames.
I've always wondered about how a story would go after making a different choice, that's probably why I like playing vn games. A. Somnia began a year ago as my first project with Ren'py, now with the demo loaded in my computer, I hesitated on posting about the project on Lemmasoft (**;) I'm more of a lurker to tell the truth ^^;
Right now, the game only has *natural sound effects ie. water=sailing sounds* I'm not big on game music and always mute the sound when playing. But, I know that other people judge games on their music, so I guess what I'm asking is if music is important?
Three endings, choose your allies and enemies wisely
Last edited by yumechan on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Angie
Regular

Re: Arcticus Somnia (VN/historical adventure)

#2 Post by Angie »

Looks nice, it does have potential at least.

And, yes, I believe music is somewhat important. Music that doesn't fit into the mood can destroy all the rest.
You can look around for composer on forum.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#3 Post by Broodelin »

Wow, I really like this concept and how unique it is. :)
yumechan wrote:But, I know that other people judge games on their music, so I guess what I'm asking is if music is important?
Personally, I don't play with music either but I think that it's vital for those who do. It helps them get into the story and the game. If you're worried about overpowering the sound effects, I would suggest something minimalist and classical.

Also, could you put up some additional information about the voyage of Captain Fitzjames for those who don't know of it?

yumechan
Projects: Arcticus Somnia

#4 Post by yumechan »

Thanks for your opinions ^^ I've already begun building an OST ∋━━o(`∀´oメ)~→ (can I use that word? Teehee, I've always wanted to use that word) *Updated historical background above and added one more screenshot!* Can I just add that lemmasoft's buttons are (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ grrr annoying...,

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#5 Post by kitsubasa »

Ooh, this looks like a really unique game! I love stories about maritime disasters, especially ones which explore why they happened and how they could have been avoided. Playing through a VN and being able to get actively involved in that sort of story sounds fascinating. I'm looking forward to playing this!

InvertMouse
Regular
Completed: Unhack
Organization: InvertMouse

#6 Post by InvertMouse »

Music is important, though I must say that from experience, people judge the most on visuals. If the art is bad, they'll never even read the game's description and just troll it. Anyway, good luck with the project :)!