How to do politically correct writting (a simple trick)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: How to do politically correct writting (a simple trick)

#31 Post by papillon »

I hate most kinds of tea. (Chai is nice on occasion. Does it count?) But there certainly is an awful lot of it around here, and somewhat less coffee. I import coffee from the states for the rare times I feel like drinking it.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#32 Post by Der Tor »

I am a little afraid, since what i am about to do, would surely get me kicked out of any german board in a matter of seconds. But since i now know that you guys are pretty open minded and are able laugh at stereotypes - even when they are targeted at you, i am also able to laugh at things that i used to ussually not be able to laugh about.

Anyway after our discussion i did a quick google search for more stereotyped Anime. This is what I have found:

I am seriously considering using this one as my icon thingy :lol:

Also note how in 2 out of 3 pictures that thingy is facing the wrong way :mrgreen: (actually that's propably cause in Japan the Swastika is still known as the symbol for Buddhism - and in Buddhism it faces the other way) :D
Last edited by Der Tor on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

magi
Special Project Artist
Projects: Hanafuda Club, Infinity Rain

#33 Post by magi »

yeah, but I get the distinct feeling that you are doing this just for the sake of rubbing it in other people's face rather then any artistic or metaphorical considerations. you are not going to get a free pass for that anywhere. Perhaps the distinction haven't occur to you.

Edit: Actually, I am not entirely without sympathy with your initial complaints. I am Chinese, I speak and write fluently, and I have seen plenty of mis-usage of the language in my time. However, that doesn't mean people who isn't native to the language shouldn't be allow to use. A legitimated critique though, would be to correct the usage, because frankly, it feel quite embarrassing. I know I sounds like a language snub when it comes to Chinese sometimes...

I mean, I also seen plenty of misuse of English by Chinese or Japanese... its not so much as offensive, but rather amusing or embarrassing. Sometimes when you see correct usage or good pronunciations in anime seen like a breath of fresh air. lol

Edit again: eh, that's not to say I am some sort of authority in correct English usage at all, true be told, quite the opposite. <.<;;
Last edited by magi on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ren

#34 Post by Ren »

@Monele:Interesting, it seems every country has their own personal clichè :3 Usually on the Italian television people tend to compare certain "skills" that supposedly make French and Italian men rivals(that tells a lot about the quality of our television T_T;;).Also, I remember that when i was in high school one of my classmates was CERTAIN that every French man was gay*_*Who would have thought that France was the land of Yaoi...what can I say...je suis tres tres content moi!

Dang, to find out not every Sweden is blonde like this...it hurt my feelings;_;

Now excuse me while I dip my pizza in a cup of cappuccino and go to kill some rival gang's mafia guy^_-

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by monele »

lol this is from that flash movie right?
Partly so, yes XD
Usually on the Italian television people tend to compare certain "skills" that supposedly make French and Italian men rivals
Haha, I guess this one goes the other way around too ^^. I also remember some flash animation about Italian VS The World in terms of driving habits. Wether true or not, it was rather hilarious ^^
I remember that when i was in high school one of my classmates was CERTAIN that every French man was gay
Lol XD... Sorry to disappoint :p

As for what magi says, it really shows the two sides of "foreign language use". Either it's very well done (like movies not dubbing parts in foreign languages but subbing them) or it's just for kicks and usually quite amusing. It really depends on the mood of the source material I think... In a comedy, I won't mind random gibberish... but in a serious movie, I like it to feel real and the subbing of actual natives is really neat.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

My Two Cents

#36 Post by kara24601 »

I'm German-born (but American too and understand America better) I didn't see any problems with the German aspect of the troll game but I strongly dislike the fact it has rape in it.
In fact, I saw/see the German aspect as far from stereotypical like I've seen in other things.
And that makes my German side very happy.
To me , it seems people like to joke about all Germans being nazis and naturally that offends me because for the most part...it's a load of BS. Yes, there are still idiots that identify as nazis but I and alot of other Germans aren't nazis.
Even though I do fit some of the American stereotype it offends me that so many parodies and crap portray Americans unfairly / stereotype them. I'm a xenophile and even though I'm not really fluent in any other language...I do read alot , know various words and phrases in other languages , and I at least try to learn other languages.

I know that swastikas were supposedly once peace signs before the nazis adapted it but I hate the swastika thanks to the negative associations with it. (those pics would be much cuter without the swastikas)

In America too , two of the biggest drinks : coffee or tea
Even though I drink tea sometimes I'm not big fan of either
I can't stand even the smell of coffee as it makes me ill
Except one time wasn't so bad and that was cherry walnut or some other cherry coffee

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#37 Post by Enerccio »

Der Tor wrote:stuff
Whoa, kawaii. That is dictator who should rule the world ahaha :mrgreen: :lol: .
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#38 Post by chronoluminaire »

Regarding tea: yep, it's true. I don't like tea, but I have tea in the house, as does everyone I know, just because it's a good thing to be able to offer people.

I'm also reminded of a certain image that cropped up shortly after the terrorist attacks on London a year or two ago, on the British solution to everything:
Image :D
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!