Another Battle System Request

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

Another Battle System Request

#1 Post by squark »

I know Jake's systems are stickied and quite versatile with fine notes, but they're just not quite what I'm looking for.
The turn based system is what I'm looking at in particular. His ATB is fine for party combat, not so for a single character battle system.
So, I have two requests attached here. One is for the game I've put on hold (no rush there), and the second is for a collaboration I'm working on. TBH, the second one is a lot less work, while the first seems very very complicated to me.
Both systems are based on the player's and enemy's speed ratings. Fastest first, obviously. Sometimes it will one-on-one, sometimes one-on-two, and so on. But always a single player character.
I think I've explained everything else in the documents I've attached. I can't pay anyone for either system, and the best I can do is remain in touch and give credit where credit is due.

Ideally, I'd love for it the battle script to involve a switch. Kind of like a nofight=False for when the fighting is over, and a switch to True when the fight is beginning. Also, a Spoils of War thing would be great. Anyway, I'm digressing.

So I'll stop waffling. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Obviously, Python & Screen Language would be far preferable. Versatility and all that. ^^v
Attachments
Second Battle System.txt
And this is the more urgent one I need for the collab.
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
First Battle System and status details.txt
This is the more complicated one I'd use for my own work.
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)

Re: Another Battle System Request

#2 Post by squark »

If it helps, there's a concept video link in the Raven Hollow thread. That's ideally how I'd love it to function and look, just with specials/spells set up as described in the text files above.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#3 Post by ThisIsNoName »

One reason you probably aren't getting many replies is that the text files are way too complicated. I tried reading through the first one, but got about a quarter through the page before I lost track of what's supposed to be related to what. I tried reading the simpler one, but saw that was based on the first one.

The first thing you should do is get rid of all the numbers. Balancing is one of the last things you should worry about, and it clogs up the page so it's hard to see the core mechanics and what you are trying to do.

The best way to format it would be to seperate and outline the mechanics as much as possible. For example,

1. Damage
a. Types:
I:Blunt : High Damage, Low Stun Rate
II:Pierce: Standard Damage, High crit Rate, Bleeding
III:Slash: High Damage, Bleeding+
b. Damage Calc.
I:Weapon Damage added to character's base skill (affected by level)
II: Damage Dealt Reduced by Opponent's Defence
III: Damage Negated by Evade

If possible, try rewriting it so that the most simple version is explained first, and then base the more complex version on that.

FWIW, It looks like a system I'd be interested in, but it's hard to tell what exactly you want. If you can boil the files down to the core mechanics, I'd be happy to help with the back end stuff, although I'm not very good with front end stuff like screens, etc.

squark
Veteran

#4 Post by squark »

That's a good point. It's my biggest flaw, really - overexplaining to the point where it's a job in itself to decipher it. I'll simplify it as best I can over the course of the day. If I can get back on later (say, in about eight or nine hours), I'll amend the first post with clearer versions.

Thanks for your interest! ^^
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

Also, if you want someone to build you an entire battle system...that feels like a "recruit a coder" sort of post rather than a "I have a question about renpy" post. Maybe you'd have more luck in the recruitment thread?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#6 Post by Asceai »

For my personal experience, I clicked on the 'second battle system' file, saw
As I'm going with icon driven command selection, I'll lay it out here:
Attack, as I said is a pair of crossed swords.
and thought 'the fuck, I'm designing the graphics for this thing too?' and closed it.

squark
Veteran

#7 Post by squark »

To be honest, the icons are just candy. They're not really that important. I'mm still shaving bits off the initial drafts to make them simpler to read.

trooper6:
Good point. Once I've cut the files down significantly, I'll do just that.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

squark
Veteran

#8 Post by squark »

I've followed trooper6's suggestion and moved it to the Recruitment thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=26710

No more posts to be made here, please.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark