Charlie Brown as Anime

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sed
Regular

Charlie Brown as Anime

#1 Post by Sed »

For those of you who don't read digg.

Some are saying this is old news, so I apologize in advance. Couldn't find any previous posting of this here.

http://stage6.divx.com/Refuse-Life/blog/8825/

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

Re: Charlie Brown as Anime

#2 Post by F.I.A »

If anything, I am one guy who hates anime-zation. Those classic series can easily stand on their own. Turning into anime style just to attract more crowd is just no.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#3 Post by Sailor Kitty »

A bit of it is friggin' hilarious. But if it's getting animated, I'll stick to power puff girls z anime.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#4 Post by kara24601 »

I personally don't mind "anime-zation"
Just like americanizing or somebody else trying to put their own life or
whatever into Anime stuff /style...I think you can either overdo it or do it just enough.
Seems to me alot of people overdo it when translating stuff sometimes or trying to put a new spin on things....but as long as it's done well , I don't see why it should be a big deal.

While I admit I never thought "What if Charlie Brown was turned into an Anime?" before, I am interested in the idea now. I have mixed feelings about Powerpuff Girls Z because of what I know about the series thanks to stuff online about it....however, even though I already have mixed feelings about it, I haven't really watched an episode from Z from start to finish.

To me , Powerpuff Girls was always Anime-ish to begin with , but it's also cool to see how they look in Z.

Just looked at the pictures... :shock: :lol: Oh, man. Charlie Brown in that style is scary. Some of the other characters, particularly/especially the girls , I think were pulled off well and look cool but Charlie Brown himself as an Anime character....creepy. Heh.
If this becomes a real series...I will have mixed feelings about it.

Geeze, is there anything that could be turned Anime that I wouldn't have mixed feelings about? (Besides Tatu.) :lol:

Doomfest
Regular
Completed: Memo, Juniper's Knot
Projects: Cradle Song, Dysfunctional Systems
Organization: dischan, Medical Whiskey

#5 Post by Doomfest »

I don't like the style at all, personally. My eyes are bleeding...
Dysfunctional Systems
Juniper's Knot
Cradle Song, a visual novel in development
Memo, a visual novel

[02:49] <Komi> How is Dysfunctional Systems coming along?
[02:52] <Doomfest> have you seen prince of egypt
[02:53] <Doomfest> do you remember that scene with the storm of bugs
[02:54] <Komi> I know what you are talking about, but I can't remember the scene.
[02:54] <Doomfest> that is what it feels like
[02:55] <Komi> Personality conflicts on the team, I take it?
[02:56] <Doomfest> no
[02:56] <Doomfest> just bugs
[02:56] <Doomfest> storm of bugs

Free Time Machine
Regular

#6 Post by Free Time Machine »

It was interesting to see this artist's conception of the Peanuts characters.

But, nobody's going to sell the license to remake the Peanuts cartoon in a new style anytime soon.
"HOLD ON TIGHT" ~ Outfits and expressions, where art thou? And why does Elsa's face look so awful??? *bangs head in*

Everytime you delete a traceback, someone else gets it. -PyTom

Ren

#7 Post by Ren »

that style is horrible, what's the point of anime-izing something with a style that looks like a bad imitation of anime?
It's as if they paid the drawers of Winx to draw Peanuts while they were high on cookies .And Snoopy is really famous in Japan, he even has a whole mall dedicated to his merchandise, that means his design is successful as it is, eww!

EWW!

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#8 Post by Recca Phoenix »

I only agree with this kind of stuff when it's done for fun or as a parody (like that south park anime episode LOL)
I saw a similar thing done with Scooby-Doo.

But for real.....NO WAY. We all saw what happened to the powerpuff girls when they became an anime. "powerpuff girls z" sucked even more than the original.

And Charlie Brown? No one likes Charlie Brown anymore. It ain't funny. Although Snoopy and Woodstock have a following in Japan because of their cuteness.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#9 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Wait...this isn't an actual pitch for a series, right? This is just something someone did in their (numerous amounts) of spare time, right?

I for one think the designs are cute. :) I like Peppermint Patty and Schroeder's designs the best.

sanity

#10 Post by sanity »

Recca Phoenix wrote:And Charlie Brown? No one likes Charlie Brown anymore. It ain't funny.
I vividly object! Charlie Brown IS funny. It's also moving, poetic, and much more.
By the way, I can assure you I'm very keen on mangas and animes, so I'm not completely biased. I really suggest you to give the good ol' Charlie another chance whenever you feel like reading something "universal", without thinking it to be just "classic": Peanuts is the kind of reading that can be fruited at various levels of depth, light heartedly or pensively, as you like it.

Let me quote an article I absolutely agree with: (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 29718/pg_5).
With the retirement of Charles Schulz, cartooning loses perhaps its most talented practitioner. By combining artistic simplicity with philosophical and even theological depth, Peanuts suggested the immense potential of comics as an art form. In one strip, for example, a friend tells Charlie Brown: "I've got this whole Santa Claus bit licked. If there is a Santa Claus, he's going to be too nice not to bring me anything for Christmas no matter how I act Right? Right! And if there isn't any Santa Claus, then I haven't really lost anything! Right?" In the final frame, Charlie Brown reflects: "Wrong! But I don't know where!" This is a terse and eloquent summary of an issue that has flummoxed Christians since Paul. In another strip, Violet is asked: "Do you really think that Charlie Brown is as hopeless as you make him out to be?" She answers: "He's worse! He has no redeeming features whatsoever! I just can't think of enough bad things to say about him!" Overhearing this, a wistful Charlie Brown comments to the reader: "I'm infinite!" That's Blaise Pascal on the human condition--in four cartoon frames. You're a good man, Charles Schulz.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

While parodies like this are kinda funny, I don't think that anyone should make a series without the creator's permission. And IIRC, Schulz set it up that when he retired, the series would also be retired. (IIRC, he died a day or so before the final strip aired.)

A similar parody, from a while back:

http://home1.gte.net/longrj2/fluff/B5An ... index.html
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#12 Post by kara24601 »

Admittedly, I haven't watched Winx in a long time, but I disagree it's horrible.
I've seen far "worse" than Winx that wasn't even an anime series but clearly trying to imitate Anime style.

I also disagree that Peanuts is not funny anymore.
What's wrong with calling it "classic" instead of "universal"?
But...I think of it as both classic and universal.
While I enjoy it alot, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's really moving and all that.
Apoligies to those who disagree with me on that part....Really, I can think of other "comics" that are more moving and touching than Peanuts. (Unicorn Jelly for example...if you read the whole thing. Unfortunately , I can't think of another "classic" to compare and say that that is more moving Peanuts but I'm not sure if UJ can be counted as a classic yet because of how much "younger" it is compared to Peanuts. I haven't read all of Pastel Defender Heliotrope yet but the stuff I have read is often very moving and poetic too.)

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#13 Post by Sailor Kitty »

UJ!? I think I read that when I was, like, 9. :D

Yes, the peanuts is a very nice comic. But I never read it until very recently. See, long story but it used to go on cartoon networks "Power Hours" (As we kids called them) I mean the animated specials. I live in sweden, so they only translated the animated specials. NOT the TV-show.

Did anybody see "Why Charlie Brown, Why?"
I almost cried when I saw it. And I don't laugh/cry very easily when it comes to movies, even if I think that they are funny/sad.

I think it is very nice and touching. At the end, when she lets out her hair, I always belived she had recovered fully. My best freind said it was because the medicine wasn't working, so they would let her off it so she'd be happy untill she died.

Other then that, I liked the one when Peppermint Patty went ice-skating. I loved the fact that Peppermint Patty was a real tomboy and still could have a girly side to her. Yes, I'm the same.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#14 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Sailor Kitty wrote: I think it is very nice and touching. At the end, when she lets out her hair, I always belived she had recovered fully. My best freind said it was because the medicine wasn't working, so they would let her off it so she'd be happy untill she died.
I think I remember watching this in America as well. And I believe your best friend was just trying to get your goat. I believe that the girl did recover at the end. (Didn't she have leukemia? Child-hood leukemia is actually very treatable). And that is a wonderful scene when all of her hair flies out of her hat. ;) I've been inspired to mimic it many times over in my writing/drawing.

Ren

#15 Post by Ren »

I remember those.Uhm, I also remember she recovered in the end, and Woodstock singing for Peppermint Patty to let her skate in the other episode was so sweet!