Recruiting four writers for otome game otoge-Real! (closed)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Recruiting four writers for otome game otoge-Real! (closed)

#1 Post by hiko27 »

We're recruiting for otoge-Real! again. I got a little busy, and because of that, everybody in the team scattered and no communication happened over the past few months. Now that finals are almost done, I finally have the time to work on the game but then as I said, communication. So if you managed to drop by my old recruitment thread and thought, "Dang! I was too late!" Well, here's your chance. We're recruiting again and hopefully this time, nothing can go wrong.
THE GAME
otoge-Real!

Summary: When Meru decides to make her own otome game, she’s determined to make it happen! She’s got everything covered, except for one: the boys are too cliche because she’s never had a boyfriend! She knows all the different archetypes from reading manga and watching anime, but that wasn’t enough. One to never give up, she brings it up a notch. With her crazy idea and a burning determination, she decides to pick her own harem of boys and create her own otome game reality — in school!

Features:
Customizeable MC — hairstyle, hair color, clothes (during dates), skin color and of course her name.
15 guys to choose from for your own harem — mix and match and see how each character reacts to another to create your own unique otome game reality!
Unlockable mini-games, CGs and *gasp* probably a hidden character!?
An opening song sequence
Animation trailer introducing all 15 guys (and if you look carefully, the 16th guy)
Voice acting will be done in both English and Japanese
A Japanese translation of the game will most likely be made if the game is popular enough
BGM music
PRETTY ART AND CGS

Art
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

(New) Sample writing
Meru: “Uhmm… Ren?”
Ren looks up at me for a second, and then glances back to his book. He obviously doesn’t understand how to hold a conversation! Either way, he seems like a good candidate. I better step up my game.
Meru: “I was wondering--”
I didn’t get far with my words when Kouta rushes in between me and Ren, almost pushing me to the floor.
Meru: “GAHH!”
I try and retain my previous balance, and stand beside Kouta.
Kouta: “Hey Ren!”
That was rude, what the hell!? Ren gives a slight nod at Kouta, putting a bookmark in his book and shoving it into his bag.
INFO
There are about 15 guys in the game. Each writer will be in-charge of 3 characters, with each character different from the others in terms of personality. Editing will be mostly by me. We'll be working on the script in Google Drive. The whole game consists of levels, side scenes, jealousy routes, common scenes, and common events. Meaning, there's going to be a whole lot of writing here. We can't give an estimate of how much writing will be done or the amount of words we're aiming for (I'm bad with estimates). Aside from what's mentioned in the outline, writers and colorist are given artistic freedom most of the time. We are a team, so there's going to be tons of communicating with other members if need be. These positions are voluntary, non-paid positions.

WHO'S ON THE TEAM ALREADY
hiko27 - editing, art, story, supervising
The Big D - editing, story
Sakura Hughes - writing
Sorakun - programming
Kimitsuzue - artist
MusicaFate - whatever it takes (This is what we used to call the person who can and will do anything to make ends meet in my high school's Yearbook)

POSITIONS
We're looking for four writers and one colorist. We don't have specific qualifications this time around, except that you an send me samples, need to pass the test we're going to give you, and for you to report back to me on Skype (or PM here on the forums) every week. You also need to be comfortable working on a schedule, since as soon as we round up all the writers and colorist, I'll be creating and distributing a schedule that we all could agree on.

For writers, send samples of your writing wherein you think it best shows your writing style. Not the story, but the writing style. If I like it, I will give you an outline from one of the guys as a test, and it's your choice to do what you will with it. It must be written in first-person, present tense. In Meru's POV. Meru, the protagonist, is a headstrong, loud, obnoxious teenager. She's into anime, manga and games. She tends to find herself in funny, and embarrassing situations, eliciting laughter from those around her. She's cheerful and optimistic most of the time, but her temper can get the best of her at times. If you have any questions about the protagonist or the test, feel free to PM me about it. The time limit is one week, word limit is around 1000 words, or 2 and a half pages. During the editing phase, I'll need to talk to you as we both edit your scenes, so as not to remove your touch to it while polishing it up for finalization.

For the colorist, send me samples of colored artwork, CG or sprite, or both if possible. I will then give you one of the lineart for the game, and you'll have to color it in. I will give you the base colors (aside from the skin), and you'll have to create your own palette from there and make the coloring and lineart work together. Coloring styles that are acceptable are: Soft shade, and watercolor. Cell shade is a 50-50 chance. There is also the chance that the colorist will be needed to color lineart for the background, but that will be something you'll work on with me so if you're not an expert on it, we can help each other out. The time limit is a week to 10 days.

If you don't manage to give your sample before the week is over, I'll have considered you don't want to apply for the game. The reason why we'll be implementing this this time around is so that you can prove to me that you'll be able to report to me about the progress every week. Even if you haven't finished a scene in one week, as long as you communicate with me and let me know, everything'll be fine.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post below or PM me if you'd like to have a private conversation about it.

With that out of the way, I feel like I sound too professional. I swear, when it comes to the actual job, I'm too laidback but I do take the job seriously. I'm not strict with anything, but since I'm the supervisor of everything, I'll have to be responsible to know the progress of every part of the game. If you need help with your own game project, feel free to ask any of the members and myself as well. It's pretty fun working on this game imo, so you guys should totally try out and see if this game is right for you.

Also, just for those who're waiting for this to come out, we plan on starting a Kickstarter when we release the demo. We're going to try getting voice acting for this, in both English and Japanese. We'll also try and get any merchandise going, if the game is popular enough. You can check out the progress thread down below in my signature. Thanks!

Note: A little something for otoge-Real!: We also have a spin-off in the idea stage for the game so it would be nice if the future crew would work on the game with us as well.
Last edited by hiko27 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: Recruiting four writers and one colorist for otoge-Real!

#2 Post by Ferdokki »

Before I attempt to apply, what would the writers' schedules look like? Like, how intense would it be?
In the past, I tried working with a chick who was asking for a scene like every 3 days and it was irritating and frustrating because she didn't even have much information on her project to start with. |=P Needless to say, I ended up ditching her, though the ditch was mutual (I think she realized I was getting irritated with her lack of cooperation).

hiko27
Veteran

#3 Post by hiko27 »

Ferdokki wrote:Before I attempt to apply, what would the writers' schedules look like? Like, how intense would it be?
In the past, I tried working with a chick who was asking for a scene like every 3 days and it was irritating and frustrating because she didn't even have much information on her project to start with. |=P Needless to say, I ended up ditching her, though the ditch was mutual (I think she realized I was getting irritated with her lack of cooperation).
Ah, sounds stressful.

Well, first of, there's 15 guys in the game. Each writer gets 3 character routes, personalities are different from each other so writers won't get confused. Each guy has about 9 scenes atm that're relevant to the routes. There will be other side scenes, jealousy routes, common scenes and events for later (will be outlining them by end of this week or next), but we'll divide that to whichever writer wants to write what. There's really no word count for each scene, but it gets longer the closer you get to the guy (but really depends on what's written on the outline). Schedule is only one scene per week. If something happens or you don't manage to finish one scene by the end of the week (like for example, you're helping another group or you got commissioned), you can tell me and I'll extend it. I'm not really strict on the schedule as long as you tell me what's up because I don't like not knowing the status of the scripts. There's also the editing phase where I edit the scenes with the writer. It doesn't take that long. If the writer's not busy after I read it, I'll ask them if we could edit it then. There's also the last step where we have someone who hasn't read that scene read it and compare it to other completed scenes (edited and compared with final final scripts) to see if they're similar at the least. It's so that the writing style throughout the game is all the same, or at least close.

I might also make a schedule, but it won't be set in stone. It's more of an estimate if the pace is the same all throughout the months.

Just threw the whole scripting process out there so that you know what you're signing up for. Idk if that's intense for you but it makes the writing easier if I do it like this.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki »

Sounds good! I like this organization style. =)
Last question: How would we communicate with one another? Like, would it be via PM here on LSF or by email or something else?

hiko27
Veteran

#5 Post by hiko27 »

Ferdokki wrote:Sounds good! I like this organization style. =)
Last question: How would we communicate with one another? Like, would it be via PM here on LSF or by email or something else?
Skype mostly. But if you don't have it or it lags on you, email would be the next best option.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#6 Post by Sorakun »

hiko27 wrote:
Ferdokki wrote:Sounds good! I like this organization style. =)
Skype mostly. But if you don't have it or it lags on you, email would be the next best option.
If skype lags you then there is something really wrong with your computer and you should get it fixed.

Ordog
Regular

#7 Post by Ordog »

Hey !! \o/

You can ask this person, she just posted a thread here :
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=26843

You might even find more writers like that if you check thoroughly the forums~

Have a nice day~

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#8 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Ordog wrote:Hey !! \o/

You can ask this person, she just posted a thread here :
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=26843

You might even find more writers like that if you check thoroughly the forums~

Have a nice day~
Haha I actually contacted InvertMouse the other day but was told that otome games isn't a strong point!
Thanks though :)

ishantrissi

#9 Post by ishantrissi »

I am interested in writing, message sent!

Ordog
Regular

#10 Post by Ordog »

I might be interested, but I'm not sure about this "freedom in creativity". What kind of directives are you giving to your writers ? Do you already have a precise idea of what will be the story of each guy ? How much details are you giving ?

I just want to be sure about what kind of writers you're looking for ? One with the time, ideas and writing skills or just the time and skills ? (And to what extent ?)

I'm asking you a lot but that's because I don't want to gauge the amount of work before trying to submit :/

ishantrissi

#11 Post by ishantrissi »

Do you know when/if we'll be contacted to do an outline. And what exactly would the outline be - a summary... A situation... A prompt?

hiko27
Veteran

#12 Post by hiko27 »

Ordog wrote:I might be interested, but I'm not sure about this "freedom in creativity". What kind of directives are you giving to your writers ? Do you already have a precise idea of what will be the story of each guy ? How much details are you giving ?

I just want to be sure about what kind of writers you're looking for ? One with the time, ideas and writing skills or just the time and skills ? (And to what extent ?)

I'm asking you a lot but that's because I don't want to gauge the amount of work before trying to submit :/
It's fine, I like it when I'm asked questions about the whole process. We have outlines for each of the guys' routes, 9 of them just for the route itself. I'll be adding more outlines either this week or next for side scenes, jealousy routes/scenes, common scenes, and common events. The scenes are mostly outlines of where the scene is going, the writer can add more things to it like Meru falls on her butt or something. We give you a general direction as to where the scene is going but we'll give you the freedom to add as much as you want on it, as long as it doesn't deter from what it says on the outline. The outlines that we write are mostly about the important events or the sequencing of events. We sometimes have dialogue written there, but those are more of suggestions than anything as we tend to just jot down whatever comes to mind.

Time and skills is the minimum requirement. It'd be okay if you have ideas as well, since every one of us has ideas. We're open to any ideas or suggestions from our writers. As much as this story was plotted out by me, it's the writers that brings that plot to the game so I'm all for the writers giving suggestions.

Idk if that answers your questions?

ishantrissi wrote:Do you know when/if we'll be contacted to do an outline. And what exactly would the outline be - a summary... A situation... A prompt?
I immediately contact writers after I've read their samples. I just got home so I didn't manage to read your sample, but I've seen your message. I'm going to be reading it in a few minutes, and after that, I'll get back to you immediately. And a summary mostly, of where the scene is going. Sometimes the outlines are very detailed (especially with the epilogues) but writers can give suggestions, to improve the story or whatnot.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#13 Post by hiko27 »

Sorakun wrote:If skype lags you then there is something really wrong with your computer and you should get it fixed.
Dang, really? I know that the previous Skype version kept on lagging even though my laptop was brand new.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

Re: Recruiting four writers for otome game

#14 Post by hiko27 »

Bumping this up so more can see
My art thread
links to portfolios

Benesumi
Regular
Tumblr: Benesumi

Re: Recruiting four writers for otome game

#15 Post by Benesumi »

Hello I'd like to know more about the colorist position and what it entails? Unless it's already taken of course.