Searching for an OSX programmer

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
AtA

Searching for an OSX programmer

#1 Post by AtA »

Hello,

The West Dragon Productions are currently working on a visual novel called Snow Light.

The game is near release, but we have actually big issues with the port for Mac OSX plateform.
We're lacking of experience on Mac, so we need someone to help for free as soon as possible.

The helper will appear in credits and receive a free version of the game.

Thanks !
Check-out Snow Light my first VN, on the Steam Store !

seitensei

Re: Searching for an OSX programmer

#2 Post by seitensei »

What kind of problems are you having porting to OS X?

What is your engine's infrastructure based on? I'm an OS X dev, but there are specific languages/frameworks that I use.

AtA

#3 Post by AtA »

Hello Seitensei,

Thanks for your interest, the engine is coded on C++ and based on Irrlicht 1.8 who's not compatible with OSX (we've made this choice regarding the PS Vita version).
The main issues is that programmers have finally succefully compiled the game for OSX but no file works :S

seitensei

#4 Post by seitensei »

Irrlicht 1.8 is compatible with OS X.

Are you compiling natively, or cross-compiling? If you're doing it natively, check out this page: http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... ngOnMacOSX

AtA

#5 Post by AtA »

Oh ? I'll ask to the programmer team ^^' Thanks for your help. Can you PM me your mail for eventual further assistance ?

Akabane87

#6 Post by Akabane87 »

Hi there, I'm the main developper of the project.

So, the engine is using irrlicht 1.8 for the graphics + input stuff, audiere for the sound stuff (and freetype for the ttf fonts). These are all the dependances used for the project.

The goal is to compile on windows (done), linux (done), and osx (not done). I know that audiere is not available for osx, meaning that a port to any sound lib will be required.
The problem is that I don't own a mac and am not able to compile (and then port the sound) on osx. We recently hired a dev for mac but we apparently failed on compiling on mac (freetype turned us crazy on xcode, build succeeded in code blocks but any fopen() call turned into a fail (no idea why)...).

This bring us to the purpose of this request : we need somebody confident enough with C++ language and any IDE, capable of building the project and then porting the sound stuff (I temporarily made an empty interface cloning the one of audiere with empty functions to be able to compile without modifying the code without audiere dependances).

seitensei

#7 Post by seitensei »

What you might consider is moving the audio to something more universally supported and mainstream, such as SDL_mixer. It makes little sense to port -just- the OS X sound component. I can't say much for freetype issues, since I use SDL_ttf on both OS X and Linux.

Generally speaking, the SDL components are well-built and are very portable. The same code compiled with

Code: Select all

make
from bash in Linux should also compile similarly in OS X.

Akabane87

#8 Post by Akabane87 »

It is of course a solution to use sdl_mixer instead of audiere and bring back cross plateform code for windows/linux/osx. I can't do the job myself for 2 reasons :
- I don't have a mac to compile and debug on it.
- I don't have time to do it since I'm also porting the code to C# for the ps vita version (all must be recoded and even rethought deeply...).

So to make it short I need someone capable to fix the sound and handle the osx build in general whatever solution is used (as long as the sound works on the 3 OS).