What are you listening to while you write?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

Re: What are you listening to while you write?

#46 Post by Alte »

Alternatively I listen to this playlist, Music to Help Study and Work. Background music instrumentals for studying, healing, relax.

It helps me build concentration. Sometimes silence can do just fine.

If anyone interested for another resource for royalty free music.

The person who made the playlist provides Royalty Free Music/ Royalty Free Classical Music (Frequentry Asked Questions, mentioned in the link)
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

#47 Post by Lady-Cynic »

I listen to my Pandora radio, which mainly consists of Rise Against, Sum 41, Eminem, MCR, P!atD, and Hollywood Undead. Yeah, I listen to a lot "hardcore" music. It's either that or a 10 hour loop of Nyan Cat to get my creative juices flowing.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#48 Post by Lumella »

Normally I don't listen to music when I'm writing, but when I can't crunch up for any ideas at all, I tend to resort to listening to some music related to the scene I'm doing.

Sometimes, instead of listening to music, I watch a drama series on the half of my screen, and I get good ideas on how to execute a scene better which I picked up from.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

LetsSpiralStars

#49 Post by LetsSpiralStars »

It depends on what I'm writing. I usually try to pick music to fit the theme for that portion or one with good instrumentals. Moondance by Nightwish is one I've written to recently.

peapodprincess
Regular

#50 Post by peapodprincess »

I don't listen to music when I write, most of the time. I really like ambient noise (like waves crashing on a beach or rain hitting a roof) so that's what I normally play when I need to get something creative done.

Also, I'm partial to putting the old 1960s Batman television series on the background whenever I code for some strange reason.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#51 Post by Rinima »

Occasionally, I listen to stuff with words when I write. Like this:

Good for the emotive stuff.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#52 Post by meiri »

I will mostly listen to the music tracks I've downloaded for the project (if its a VN), because it helps me decide what tracks I do and don't want to use (I often download a ton at one time).
If not that, I will listen to rainycafe.com which is a mixture of something like coffitivity and rainymood. (I also use that when writing essays.)
One thing I don't really like to listen to is pink noise, white noise, extremely natural and nature type things, and very very ambient things. I use that to relax and calm me during panic attacks, so it usually puts me to sleep (and I don't want to fall asleep while writing!)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Nathan
Regular
Completed: Saving Zoey[2014]

#53 Post by Nathan »

I like listening to rock or metal when I write. Makes me feel at ease. Also video games OST are welcome as well.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#54 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

I listen to naruto sad songs and bgm from some random japanese youtube people. For visual novel writing, I listen to my own soundtrack meant for it.
ImageImage

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#55 Post by Chocopyro »

David Arkenstone when I write fantasy. Otherwise, whatever else seems to fit with the theme of the scene I am writing for.

melelisun
Regular
Projects: Zodiac•Axis, Lucid9
Tumblr: lunachaili

#56 Post by melelisun »

I really like epic songs made by music companies like Audio Machine... although it does make me want to write everything as super epic.
Image Image

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#57 Post by Kate »

Inuyasha OST is really good background music for me; otherwise piano/rain music or cello/rain. Sometimes I listen to ballad-pop at a very low volume (like Christina Perri or Lana del Rey).
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#58 Post by truefaiterman »

I change the music whenever I get to write something: I just listen to what I feel like at the moment. But I can say, a lot of Kalafina, Type-Moon and videogame OSTs is the usual.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#59 Post by SinSisters »

Any non-lyrical music, or music with words from a language I'm not familiar with (aka can't listen to French/English songs). My music folder contains classical music, a "This is Halloween" instrumental version in the Halloween spirit, or I'll just go on YouTube and search for gaming OSTs (Bastion has beautiful music, for example.) If I'm going for a specific mood, then I have about ten songs per mood/character.

-Nat

anon2045
Regular

#60 Post by anon2045 »

I usually just put white noise on (things like the sound of rain or the sound of fire crackling). It's relaxing, helps me focus, and isn't too distracting. It also helps me concentrate on work when there is a lot of noise going around at home or lots of people talking in the background. This site especially (http://www.rainymood.com/) has a lovely sound of rain. It doesn't even sound as if it's looped, because sometimes there'll be the sound of thunder or chirping birds thrown in sometimes).

I tend to get distracted easily and I actually love classical music, so it doesn't help me focus when I put in on to do work as much as white noise does. Therefore, classical music (for me personally) is better for when I'm not doing things that require a high amount of focus and is pretty tedious. Therefore not good for writing, but good for studying for difficult/boring classes. Tedious = frustration and Joe Hisaishi's music always finds a way to make me smile and relieve monotony, so it's perfect when I have to grind through something for long periods of time. A video on youtube I listen to a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxd4bY_o_4k. Put in background and done, you're set for 2 hours. (By which time I'll get up and get a snack. x_x)