DSE trouble

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vein

DSE trouble

#1 Post by Vein »

Hi! I am very, very new at coding and I have read though the pages in at Ren'py documentation. My goal is to try and make a dating sim game, as a start at least but I am having quite a lot of trouble understanding what I am doing wrong.

First of all, I downloaded the DSE and I am certain that it is in the right folder. I can run the game without trouble and I have read from other posts that I should be able to edit the scrip and make it more of my own. However, I can't access the script. When I press the button, nothing happens and it's not colored or anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for reading :D

Valmoer
Regular

Re: DSE trouble

#2 Post by Valmoer »

Hello, Vein, and welcome to the Ren'py community! Good luck with your current and future projects :)

The Editra text editor shipped with Ren'py can sometimes be slow to launch. (don't hurt me pytom) As a consequence, the Renpy Launcher fails at making it open the script files (to use a non-coding analogy, the renpy launcher is asking a second question before having recieved an awnser for its first).

If you do have a situation with
* a 'Can't be opened' Error message from the launcher
* an empty Editra window

simply reclick *All script files* from the Edit panel of the launcher (that's where you started with), and the files should open normally this time around.

Vein

Re: DSE trouble

#3 Post by Vein »

Thank you so much, I think I have managed to find it now! It was not as hard as I thought it would be, thank you once more :D