The ELECT: Ascendance - Part 2 of 5 Completed

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#31 Post by Nafai »

Haha glad you liked it Moni :) Glad you finally saw a bit of the script - Ill do this every now and then but will take care not to spoil anyone :)

And yes - if our art + effects combination doesn't do justice to this epic scene well... I'll blame my art, as I think your effects will be great :)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#32 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Post the shooting game/ufo catcher scene! Funniest bit by far!!!

...though, maybe you have to know Cynthia to find it funny... which only reminds me that I have to pick up the pace on my end... I haven't even started yet...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Nafai
Veteran

#33 Post by Nafai »

*laughs* Yeah I like that scene too, but I suppose I'll keep that under wraps first since as you said, it'd have more impact once they've gotten to know who Cynthia is ^_^

No pressure Drake - take as much time as you need :)

Nafai
Veteran

Re: The ELECT: Superheroes go ren'ai (Status and Recruitment)

#34 Post by Nafai »

Status Update: July 2, 2007

Finally done with the first part of the True Path. Word tells me it clocks in at 87,759 words (inclusive of some comments, and the character names when they speak). I'm sure Drake can give us a more accurate word count later on.

Phew. I made the right decision I think just doing one path first rather than doing all the branches that occur in the same "time frame" in the game.

The second part won't be quite as long I think, although it will take more time to plan things so that I wrap up everything nicely - endings are tougher than beginnings. Anyway, to celebrate this little milestone, a little Cynthia-as-teacher pic (The glasses are a new addition... experimenting a bit...). Enjoy!
Attachments
cyn_glasses_bust_sketch_s.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by monele »

*salutes*........................... *looks up* oh hey, hi! ^_^;;...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#36 Post by DaFool »

*bosom: check
*spectacles: check

DaFool approves. 8)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#37 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Don't mind me, just passing through...
The game contains 6255 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 82467 words.
Cynthia is looking great, as she should. Anything less just wouldn't be fitting. Oh, and definitely keep the glasses. But be sure to post Jessie next time, or I might have to accuse you of playing favorites... (favorites, of course, having nothing to do with my request at all.........)
The Compendium of Drake:

Nafai
Veteran

#38 Post by Nafai »

Moni: *laughs* You like to live dangerously doncha? :P

DaFool: Hehe... we aim to please.

Drake: Thanks again for the Ren'Py word count!

Me? Playing favorites? Heaven forbid! :P Its just easier drawing simpler characters... and Cyn is quite a bit simpler than a certain albino friend, inside and out. But never fear, we'll give Jessie her time to shine ^_^

Nafai
Veteran

#39 Post by Nafai »

Status Update: 27 July 2007

Well, finally finished the first scene of part 2. Roughly 2,500 words. Midway I decided I needed to flesh out the rest of my outline a bit before continuing... that's the problem with concluding a long story, you have to make sure you have all the loose ends tie up nice and pretty... or bloody as the case may be, as long as they're dealt with. ^_^

The main drawback I'm beginning to think with doing a long project is trying not to act on the dozens of other ideas that come out while you're doing the long project, which don't quite fit it, but could work excellently as games in themselves :)

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#40 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

I know im super late on this but I've learned a LOT of photoshop and the like. If ya still need a pen-tracer i'll do it for ya. Although it'll probably be done in Illustrator then imported to photoshop.

If ya need a 2nd pen-tracer thats cool too.

And if you don't. then oops. ^^;
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Nafai
Veteran

#41 Post by Nafai »

Wow that'd be a big help Lee :) I wouldn't want you to commit though until I'm more or less done with the story (I'd hate to have you pass up on anything because you'd already given a commitment) so what we can do is once I finish at least one branch of the story, I'll let you know and if you're still interested, I'll brush up on my art skills :)

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#42 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Sweet. Im in a few different projects so I may be a LITTLE slow but yours would be the only one for photoshopping. ^^; Im trying to get a small voice over carreer going and I may be getting into a Star Trek mod. I dunno just yet. But I'm sure I'd be able to help whenever ya need it.
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Nafai
Veteran

The ELECT reloaded - Episode 1: Ascendance is now in progres

#43 Post by Nafai »

Been working on this for awhile now, going back to the drawing board and making the various elements work as a cohesive whole. Restarted the script proper last month - wanted to hold back from officially announcing the 'reloaded' version of the game until I hit a substantial word count, and I think I just did.

Typing it directly into the rpy file helps I think, and makes it easier to debug as I go along rather than after.

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I decided to do a rewrite, even if I already clocked in over 100k words in the original draft, as I looked to the latter parts of the story, things just began to look forced.

Now though, I think I've finally made a foundation sturdy enough to carry me through the entire story I want to tell. I've also decided to split it up into smaller portions, but each with a more-or-less definitive conclusion. I'm going to hammer out the entire script first before moving to the art or soliciting any help, but I did want to revive the topic so people wouldn't think the project was dead, and so I have a place to brainstorm with you guys as necessary.

So - Status Report 1:
The game contains 881 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 10227 words.
For an average of 11.6 words per screen.
The game contains 8 menus.
I'm still at the introductory portion of the game (so it looks like the rewrite didn't really make the story shorter) but a lot of the text so far is in an optional part of the game - although I'm thinking maybe I should make it mandatory for the first run through. I thought long and hard about how to give an introduction to the world of the Elect, without looooong expositions and I finally settled on having the protagonist do some research to help a friend win a trivia game during a festival. It's working rather well so far ^_^

Hope I can get this done... I really do want to share this story with all of you ^_^

Nafai
Veteran

Re: The ELECT: Ascendance

#44 Post by Nafai »

=Status Report 2=
The game contains 1443 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 16225 words.
For an average of 11.2 words per screen.
The game contains 13 menus.
Most of the progress came from a whole day of work yesterday (the Holy Week break gives me time to write, as nothing else is open anyway). Hopefully I'll be able to bring the total beyond the 20k mark by today... and by then the first major part of the game should be finished... I hesitate to call it an introduction but... yeah, it's basically an introductory portion. Hopefully still enjoyable though @_@

Sadly its looking like I'll be able to use less of the original script than I'd intended... I weep for my 150k words @_@ But some will still make it in I hope. (Though practically none of the Jessica portions as I completely retooled her personality).

EDIT: Not quite 20k, but managed to complete Part 1 of the Episode.
The game contains 1585 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 17324 words.
For an average of 10.9 words per screen.
The game contains 13 menus.
Is anyone willing to do a reading? If so let me know ^_^

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

Re: The ELECT: Ascendance

#45 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Nafai wrote:Jessica... retooled her personality.
I'm both excited and scared at the same time. I really liked Jessica, but I trust you to do an even better job this time. Treat her with care!!!

(Also, as much as I'd love to hop on again as your story editor, these days I feel like I barely have enough free time for me, so aiding someone else with their project is out of the question, unfortunately... Here's hoping you find someone to help you out, and good luck with this!!! I'm still looking forward to it!)
The Compendium of Drake: