The Way We All Go [BxG, Horror, Romance] [Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

The Way We All Go [BxG, Horror, Romance] [Commercial]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Synopsis:
The Way We All Go is a hybrid horror/romance visual novel in which you play as ‘Atcchan’, a teenage boy shorter than the rest of his peers, who is only ever addressed by his childhood nickname.
It’s been two years since he left his hometown; a small, sleepy village with a tiny population. Now, he is finally able to return – but only for three days. How will his old friends react to him, and how will their relationships change…?
For a person who’s always been afraid of change, this is a worrying prospect for our hero… but it is something he will have to overcome if he can ever hope to right his past wrongs and regain the trust of his friends. And a failure to do so can result in some rather unpleasant outcomes…

Features:
-3 girls with a route each
-lots of choices
-260,000 words
-21 endings
-multiple ways to die
-Steam achievements!

There is no adult content, but there is some depiction of gore, although it is not very graphic.

The old pay what you want version of the game has been removed. The new, updated version, with more content and more art assets, can be purchased from Steam here for $5.99. It's available for mac, windows, and linux! It can also, if you don't want to use Steam, be purchased from itch.io here.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it! ♥
If you are interested in any of my other projects, you can check out my game development tumblr here, or you could look at the other VNs on my itch.io account here.

Staff:
-Script/GUI: Ebi-hime
-Character sprites: Miss Gardenia, Ehcs
-CG art: Avaloki, Miimi-Pon, Red Romanov, Pluvias, Tsunyandere
Last edited by ebi-hime on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: The Way We All Go [BxG, Horror, Romance]

#2 Post by infel »

This game looks awesome. Been waiting for one a while now. Gonna try it out and pay you something. Thanks again for the game :mrgreen:
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

takkun-hime wrote:This game looks awesome. Been waiting for one a while now. Gonna try it out and pay you something. Thanks again for the game :mrgreen:
Aaw, thank you very much! I appreciate it n_n;
I hope it is worth it, ehehehe n_n;;
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

I'm downloading it right now. I can't wait to read it! I'll let you know what I think.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#5 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Looks awesome-going to try it :D
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

ebi-hime
Veteran

#6 Post by ebi-hime »

Thank you for downloading it ^_^;
I hope you both enjoy it!~

Vaendryl
Regular
Projects: Sunrider
Organization: Love in Space
IRC Nick: vaendryl

#7 Post by Vaendryl »

thanks!
I grabbed it, though I doubt I'll have time for it soon.

'pay what you want' up front seems silly to me. I'll know what to pay you after I've played it lol

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#8 Post by Asceai »

Vaendryl wrote:'pay what you want' up front seems silly to me. I'll know what to pay you after I've played it lol
Logically it is silly. Practically, though, it's useful because people actually pay up front - not after.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

Asceai wrote:
Vaendryl wrote:'pay what you want' up front seems silly to me. I'll know what to pay you after I've played it lol
Logically it is silly. Practically, though, it's useful because people actually pay up front - not after.

I know what you mean. But with gumroad, you get the option to download it free, and then donate afterwards you want. Which is probably the most sensible option, because if you don't like something, there's no point paying for it if you don't have to.
Although, obviously, I hope you do like it n_n;;

Moon20
Regular

#10 Post by Moon20 »

Where can i find the dowload link? I cant find it anywhere

ebi-hime
Veteran

#11 Post by ebi-hime »

Moon20 wrote:Where can i find the dowload link? I cant find it anywhere
You need to go here: https://gumroad.com/l/cUlx
And then click on 'I want this'.
It will take you to a page where you can put in payment details, if you don't want to pay any money then obviously you don't need to fill this in, you can just put in '0' when it asks how much you want to pay and then click the button 'get', and you should be able to download it!
I hope this helps?

Moon20
Regular

#12 Post by Moon20 »

Thank you very much, that really help, finnaly can i try this game

Wert568

#13 Post by Wert568 »

Well, I definitely had fun with this one. Enough fun to create an account and talk about it!

I got 9 different endings so far, These being
Liar, Proof, Final Letter, Friends Together, Goodbye Kiss, Best Friend, Something New, Apology, and Futile.
The characters are great! While I enjoyed the character art, would you be willing to share your early character designs? I personally like seeing how the characters were formed with these kind of games.
There are times where I like all characters and there are times where I feel like slapping everyone involved. mostly in Noelle's route, where no one seems to notice the big red and black painting that she keeps in the backroom as a Red Flag(haha) for depression, pent up rage and mental instability.
but I really hate the character of
Tsuzumi. She seems to be a jerk in the other routes and in Eri's route it seems like She's a psychotic jerk with a sister complex worse than Ginias Sahalin! does she have any redeeming qualities?
that's just what I think so far though. 11 more endings to go!

is there any chance of a guide?

ebi-hime
Veteran

#14 Post by ebi-hime »

Wert568 wrote:Well, I definitely had fun with this one. Enough fun to create an account and talk about it!

I got 9 different endings so far, These being
Liar, Proof, Final Letter, Friends Together, Goodbye Kiss, Best Friend, Something New, Apology, and Futile.
The characters are great! While I enjoyed the character art, would you be willing to share your early character designs? I personally like seeing how the characters were formed with these kind of games.
There are times where I like all characters and there are times where I feel like slapping everyone involved. mostly in Noelle's route, where no one seems to notice the big red and black painting that she keeps in the backroom as a Red Flag(haha) for depression, pent up rage and mental instability.
but I really hate the character of
Tsuzumi. She seems to be a jerk in the other routes and in Eri's route it seems like She's a psychotic jerk with a sister complex worse than Ginias Sahalin! does she have any redeeming qualities?
that's just what I think so far though. 11 more endings to go!

is there any chance of a guide?
Aw, thank you for your comments n_n; I'm glad you are enjoying it!
For the character designs, they mostly went on typical anime cliches, ahaha... Like, Noelle is the quiet/mysterious girl, and those kinds of characters are often white/silver-haired and wear light colors, so her design was based around that idea. And the ribbon just came from some vague idea of 'a lot of visual novels have girls with ribbons in their hair' - so I didn't make many deep considerations about it XD I can write something a little more in-depth and post my initial character designs if you want, though - but my own art isn't very good, ahaha XD

And
no, Tsuzumi does not have any redeeming qualities! Apart from, maybe, the fact that she genuinely does really love Eri?
She mostly characterised by being really, really selfish, and also not thinking things through very much before she does them. She's also, mainly, a joke character, so she doesn't get a lot of character development - I don't think she's important enough to deserve it. But I found her a lot of fun to write XDD I think, a lot of the time, these very obsessive siscon characters from anime and visual novels tend to be male, so it was fun making a female character who is just as shameless and over-the-top.
There is a scene you can get where you have a discussion with her about why she's so obsessed with Eriri, but if you don't like her aleady it will probably not change very much.
Maybe I should post a guide. A few endings can only be achieved by making very, very specific choices, and the last ending is probably pretty difficult to actively find unless you stumble upon it by accident, ahaha...
I even got lost trying to get all the endings during my own playtests of this VN XD

Wert568

#15 Post by Wert568 »

Aw, thank you for your comments n_n; I'm glad you are enjoying it!
For the character designs, they mostly went on typical anime cliches, ahaha... Like, Noelle is the quiet/mysterious girl, and those kinds of characters are often white/silver-haired and wear light colors, so her design was based around that idea. And the ribbon just came from some vague idea of 'a lot of visual novels have girls with ribbons in their hair' - so I didn't make many deep considerations about it XD I can write something a little more in-depth and post my initial character designs if you want, though - but my own art isn't very good, ahaha XD

And
no, Tsuzumi does not have any redeeming qualities! Apart from, maybe, the fact that she genuinely does really love Eri?
She mostly characterised by being really, really selfish, and also not thinking things through very much before she does them. She's also, mainly, a joke character, so she doesn't get a lot of character development - I don't think she's important enough to deserve it. But I found her a lot of fun to write XDD I think, a lot of the time, these very obsessive siscon characters from anime and visual novels tend to be male, so it was fun making a female character who is just as shameless and over-the-top.
There is a scene you can get where you have a discussion with her about why she's so obsessed with Eriri, but if you don't like her aleady it will probably not change very much.
Maybe I should post a guide. A few endings can only be achieved by making very, very specific choices, and the last ending is probably pretty difficult to actively find unless you stumble upon it by accident, ahaha...
I even got lost trying to get all the endings during my own playtests of this VN XD
I would love something more indepth! I got a few more endings since the last time I posted.
Blood Loss, Communication, Promise, Mushrooms, What if?, and Big Smile.
and these characters were built from regular cliches? I could almost write books about each one! I really dig your writing!

I almost wish
that the three days Atchan was there was a time loop of sorts. That way he'd remember some of the things the others said and call them out on their behavior. Especially (I hate liars) Noelle. She seems to know Atchan is a certifiable doof who has very low self worth/esteem issues, but is still willing to kill him simply because he avoided her out of sheer nervousness? She either doesn't seem to understand that she's proving his point or she's lying(irony?) to herself about how she feels about Atchan and simply wants to kill him out of spite. She also lied about her bunny habit and being angry in the first place! And while Atchan really is a doof, he's no Makoto. (He actually reminds me more of Shinji and the cowardly lion character archetype, with his fear and later acceptance of change.) He may have messed up, there is no way he is the only one who messed up bad and does not deserved to be judged by someone such as Noelle. Amu is partly to blame as well with her showing off his Atchan's letters knowing full well that Noelle liked him too. She could have encouraged her to write to him too and give her Atchan's address, buuuut I guess she was reading to much of her shojo manga and saw Noelle as a rival so she decided not to help her out of fear of losing Atchan.

and so far, I think Amu is
best girl, out of everybody's psychosis she seemed to be the most well adjusted.(yeah I know she stabbed Atchan with a fork but at least she saved his sorry behind from Noelle in one ending.) She was also crucial in convincing Noelle to not kill herself or anyone else. While I have been critical of Noelle, I don't hate her at all(she needs like at least a sea of friendly support and hugs.) , I just wished she tried to reach out to Amu, since Amu had a direct connection to Atchan. Maybe Noelle and Atchan could have learned their lessons earlier this way. Eri is meh honestly. She should learn sisters before misters
:lol:

by the way, I couldn't help but notice that
all three leads had some sort of contact with Amu's Shojo manga.(manga is evil?) They all should have been reading Higurashi instead. Maybe then they'd trust their Nakama.
I kid I kid. :lol: :lol:

a guide would be awesome as I'm kinda stuck at 5 endings left.

Thanks again for the good read!