Completed games increasing?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Completed games increasing?

#1 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Out of curiosity does anyone here actually go through and play all the completed games? I find I just don't have the time (I'd never do any work on my own game if I played everything in the completed list [or even 3/4s of what's there]) but there are possibly just players on the forum and well as those involved in game development.

For those who have been here a while, are there more completed games coming out each year? I noticed about 20 nano14 games are currently in the completed list and I think about 72 got started.

The outcome is I find I'm being selective when I choose a game to download even though I'd like to be more liberal and support other developers by playing their games. Unfortunately, how a game looks when I click on it has a real influence on me as to whether I download it, so first impressions really do count.

VNQuality
Regular

Re: Completed games increasing?

#2 Post by VNQuality »

I do not think anyone reads all novels.
I, for example, cannot read BxB and otome.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Welcome to the growing community.

Once upon a time (in a galaxy far far away), the Creator himself would download and play every single game made with his engine. Obviously, that's not possible now.

As time went on, and new genres became popular which the Creator did not anticipate -- such as yaoi -- it thus became natural that one would start to stick to your favorite genres.

It's the same with any other media -- I used to watch every single new anime every season until I realized the ridiculousness of it all (after watching kids' card game battle shows and wondering what the hell was i doing with my life).

So sure... pick and choose.

Now, the problem comes when due to so many choices and players are too lazy to sort and filter for themselves, so they ask "What should I play?" And the answer would be "Katawa Shoujo, everything else sucks."

It's a good time to be a player. Not so much if you're a creator.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4 Post by curry nochi rice »

I might be able to accurately measure things once I complete that statistics study of mine.

>but the more people means more people are likely to create projects, and there are more people likely to finish projects.... :v but then things might actually be proportional.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#5 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Oooh, interesting topic!
Lesleigh63 wrote:The outcome is I find I'm being selective when I choose a game to download even though I'd like to be more liberal and support other developers by playing their games. Unfortunately, how a game looks when I click on it has a real influence on me as to whether I download it, so first impressions really do count.
I think that's to be expected! With all of the new VNs coming out, you're naturally going to either be attracted to one that impresses you through the written premise or visually, or B) one that has been recommended to you or garnered a lot of attention.

It's like, uh...what is it called? "The Jam Test?" If you go to a grocery store and someone is giving samples of two different types of jam, you can try them both and decide which one you want easily. Now let's say you go to a grocery store and they have 100 samples of jam. You're going to be like "Pfft, there is no way I'm going to try all of that." That would require a lot of patience, time, and there are probably some flavors of jam that are going to turn you away just by their name or appearance. You're either just going to pick any jam, narrow it down to which one is the most appealing, or have the patron selling the jam suggest one for you. More options can be a hassle. Although it can sound overwhelming, when applied to VNs, I think is good. Sure, it is more difficult now to settle on which VNs you actually want to play, but the fact there is a steadily growing variety shows that awareness, interest, and appreciation for VNs is coming about. With more attention, VNs are slowly becoming a credible force in the videogame world (where many people don't even consider VNs as games). More acknowledgement and completion of VNs = more fans, more VNs to play, and only a matter of time until the greatest EVNs as we know it will be created.

Think about it. In the early days of console videogames, there were little to choose from and little interest. Graphics were at a minimum as well as gameplay. Now there are a ton of videogames, both good and bad, but it took the completion of newer games for the medium to evolve as a whole. We now have videogames with huge fandoms and are consider masterpieces. Newly completed VNs are moving in the same direction, IMO. And to me, I always believe that no matter what kind of VN you produce, there will always be at least one person who will play it, and that may inspire that person to either play more VNs, write (a blog entry, a review, or even write their own story), draw, program, compose music, voice-act, or collaborate in the creation of a VN.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. I see more completed VNs as a positive thing, although with almost any medium (books, music, fanfiction, comics, television shows, movies, webcomics, videogames, anime, tabletop games, etc.), Sturgeon's Law can come into effect. Sometimes you just have to keep swimming through the sea until you can find something that really stands out to you.

Honest Critique

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#6 Post by Alte »

Looking through the list from Ren'Py Games List. (By Year)

I think it's expected to see games expanded over the years, still amazing looking from this perspective although the numbers may not be accurate. (straight from Ren'Py Games List)

2005 = 11
2006 = 20
2007 = 47
2008 = 52
2009 = 65
2010 = 53
2011 = 93
2012 = 115
2013 = 144
2014 = 58 (As of June 11)

Note: Not everyone submits their games to the list.

No, I haven't gone through playing most of the game from the list due to time constraints or certain genre doesn't appeal to me. I'm glad for developers who are able to finish their first project and manage to move on to the next whenever possible. Even those who are unable to complete the project, don't give up regardless of the circumstances unless it can't be help.

The rate of complete games could be rising steadily.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#7 Post by Asceai »

From the LSF Games List (based on the lemmasoft completed games forum):
2004 = 4
2005 = 18
2006 = 25
2007 = 51
2008 = 63
2009 = 90
2010 = 94
2011 = 154
2012 = 174
2013 = 222
2014 = 98 (as of June 28)

Alte
The Great Organizer

#8 Post by Alte »

Awesome, the numbers sure does look promising.

The number difference of both list is 335. Which Ren'Py Games List doesn't obtain it seems, probably it's not made with Ren'Py or the creators chose not to submit their project .

Perhaps maybe a yearly almanac for oelvn/ evn community that can sums up info of completed games by year, polls/ statistics, and commentary.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

I think both lists are now hopelessly low, when it comes to the number of games released. There is a large fraction of the community that doesn't belong to LSF, and doesn't submit to games.renpy.org, and so the numbers don't increment when they release their games.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#10 Post by KomiTsuku »

PyTom wrote:I think both lists are now hopelessly low, when it comes to the number of games released. There is a large fraction of the community that doesn't belong to LSF, and doesn't submit to games.renpy.org, and so the numbers don't increment when they release their games.
I'd have to agree. I'd estimate that the numbers realistically are about 35% higher for the past two years. Perhaps more; I haven't ran a study on it.

Alte
The Great Organizer

#11 Post by Alte »

From vndb:

Filters (2)
Original Language: English
Platform: Windows

2001 = 1
2002 = 2
2003 = 1
2004 = 5
2005 = 17
2006 = 20
2007 = 46
2008 = 44
2009 = 70
2010 = 108
2011 = 158
2012 = 155
2013 = 230
2014 = 102 (as of June 25)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#12 Post by Gear »

Slightly off topic, but I have to say I enjoy the concept of referring to PyTom as "The Creator."

Praise be unto The Creator, for He is Ren'Py, and Ren'Py is Him.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.