How many characters in a vn?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

How many characters in a vn?

#1 Post by meiri »

Not sure if this has been discussed before (I actually tried searching), but how many characters do you think a VN should have?
Does it depend on length? The team's ability/skill?
Or do you think that there is just an expected amount of characters that should be in a visual novel?
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: How many characters in a vn?

#2 Post by Asceai »

First of all, there's no need for all characters in a VN to actually be drawn. In fact, typical VNs have tons of side characters that never appear onscreen. So there's no limit from that perspective.

If you're referring to characters that do appear on the screen, the minimum number is 1 - after all, everyone loved Planetarian, right?
(Of course, this minimum only applies if you're making a VN where characters appear on the screen - backgrounds-only is also a legitimate direction)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

There is no expected amount. There are big games, small games, in between, etc. So don't try and force yourself to have a certain number C:. Ideally the game should have as many characters as the team feels it needs. Even if a game is short, if it needs a lot of characters for the story to be told feel free to add in a bunch. And vice versa for a long game and a small cast.

However I personally think the team's ability should be the number one deciding factor in the end. Even if the game has a bunch of characters planned if a writer can't write for all them or the artist can't draw them all it'd be a bad idea to try and force more in (unless you then recruit more people or give them more time or something).
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#4 Post by Zetsubou »

I'd say it depends on the length, genre, and how important the characters are.

Length is self-explanatory. A short VN with too many characters won't have enough focus on the main character(s), a long VN with only a couple of characters will make it hard to keep the player engaged.

Certain genres will have far more characters than others. For example, if you were writing a murder mystery VN, you'd likely have several victims, several suspects, the main characters, detectives, etc. A wide array of characters.
On the other hand, if you were writing a dating sim you'd likely only have a few different girls to pursue, maybe some comedy relief characters or people to get in the way. Too many pursuable girls would make it hard to keep all of their characters notably different, and too many side characters can cause the focus of the VN to deviate; the player wants to date one of the girls, not spend half the game talking to miscellaneous, unpursuable randoms.

The importance of each character is probably more vital than the actual number of them. If a character is only in one scene, do they even count towards the total? How many "main" or pivotal characters do you have? You can easily have dozens of misc one-scene characters who don't even have sprites, but the number of main characters shouldn't get too high.

There's no real rule or quantative guideline that I'm aware of. Just ask yourself how necessary each of the characters you have is, and whether or not they fill their role. Don't overcomplicate characters either; if one character has too many traits or roles, split them into two characters.
If you ever find yourself changing/adding to an existing character to suit an event you want to write in, or struggling to find ways to keep a different character relevant, then it's time to reassess how many characters you have.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

It should depend on the needs of a story.

If you are making some sort of VN where one person is shipwrecked on an island? Then there is only one character.
If you are making a VN where you are part of a soccer team...then you need 11+coach...and maybe more.
If you are making a VN where the main character must find the one honest person in a group of 100...then I suppose you need 101 characters.

So...make the story and let that guide the numbers.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

No fixed amount. Depending on the story and the author wants. I forgot the title but there is a quite lengthy VN that so good, it took quite a while for me to realize that that VN only have 2 characters; protagonist and the heroine (and just several of faceless, nameless characters) banter each other. You could make it so it's just the protagonist and the heroine, so it's 1 + the winnable characters (if there are 3 girls, then it's 4 characters in total).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#7 Post by Gear »

It's all about the story. The temptation is to let the story be curtailed by other problems, but that does a disservice to the story itself. Your game should have as many characters as the story needs to tell...um...itself.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

While there is no limit to the characters, the fewer characters the better (though that doesn't really apply to anonymous NPCs of course).

Less characters has several benefits:
- Cheaper to draw, faster to make the VN
- The characters become more memorable and you can develop them more

My 100,000 word VN had about 20 named characters, and I thought it was a little too many. I could have probably cut a few characters from the story and it would have still been of equivalent quality. And if it's not an adventure story, you can probably make do with even fewer characters.

Gambit74
Regular

#9 Post by Gambit74 »

The way I see it, you should only add the amount that is necessary for your story. The ones who don't do anything to affect the plot (a random person with a one liner, a non-important person who is providing directions to a certain place etc) should be left off-screen. And like SundownKid said, sometimes it is best to have less characters than more because they're easier to manage and are more memorable than a large cast.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#10 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Everyone has already said that it depends on the story, so I'll skip that part.

Ever have a group of 10 or more people introduce themselves at the same time, and expect you to remember their names? It's the same with other media. If you have a large number of people, spacing their introductions out makes it a lot easier on the audience. Also, having variance in names helps too.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#11 Post by meiri »

These are all very interesting and valid responses :) Thank you for responding, Ill definitely have to tak into consideration your responses for my vn.
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

peapodprincess
Regular

#12 Post by peapodprincess »

LVUER wrote:No fixed amount. Depending on the story and the author wants. I forgot the title but there is a quite lengthy VN that so good, it took quite a while for me to realize that that VN only have 2 characters; protagonist and the heroine (and just several of faceless, nameless characters) banter each other. You could make it so it's just the protagonist and the heroine, so it's 1 + the winnable characters (if there are 3 girls, then it's 4 characters in total).
Are you perhaps referring to Narcissu? :)

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#13 Post by sasquatchii »

As everyone has said, it's really up to you to decide! Think about what kind of character's you'd like to have, and then reflect on what they bring to the story. Don't worry about having too few or too many, focus on the writing (and the story you want to tell) and the rest will follow!
ImageImage