[Answered] Pop-up message box

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

[Answered] Pop-up message box

#1 Post by Gear »

I absolutely suck at searching the documentation for information. I never seem to find what I'm looking for.

I want to create a box that pops up in the middle of the screen. Hopefully, I can customize it as I see fit, but basically, I want a message to pop up (preferably with a sound effect), and I want a button to dismiss the message and let the game continue. Contrast, of course, with regular text/dialogue that shows up VN style. Anyone know where to start on such a thing?
Last edited by Gear on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Stapper
Regular

Re: Pop-up message box

#2 Post by Stapper »

You can just call a screen, with "action Return" on the button

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

Might be an idea to use the yesno screen as a template - only include one button instead of two and make it action Return() like Stapper said.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#4 Post by Gear »

Thanks guys. I know what I'm going to do now.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.