[NVL] Bell Rock Nursery [bizarre / slife / otome???]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MUKUDORI

[NVL] Bell Rock Nursery [bizarre / slife / otome???]

#1 Post by MUKUDORI »

What's All This, Then?

Bell Rock Nursery is an experimental game set on a modern island town, where your everyday humans exist alongside sentient animals. Inspired by series like Polar Bear Cafe, Animal Crossing and Hatoful Boyfriend, Bell Rock is a modest little love letter to this niche fandom -- and an excuse for me to experiment with the WebStory Engine.

Y'see, Bell Rock was initially an idea for a TextJam 2014 entry. With a mere 48 hours before deadline, I didn't have time to make a slick GUI or ensure functional distros. I needed a web-based solution, and WSE -- discovered right here on the LSF! -- sprang to my rescue.

As for Bell Rock's premise: I went the 'cute talking animals' route to make visualization easier on the sprite-deprived audience and description-avoidant writer. (Hint: That's us!) The result? A series of vignettes about one NEET's experiences volunteering at a preschool staffed by humans and animals. There's no bad end, but you'll have to -- yes -- pursue someone to get more than a generic story.

So, why isn't it out yet? Well, I... I missed the jam. I straight-up missed it. Got busy on those two days and my plans went down the drain. This isn't a very big project, but I got attached to the concept and feel it'd be a waste to let it go. So, I'm expanding it and making it a thing!

Onwards, To The Characters!

MAIN CHARACTER
Human Female
Adorable Basement-dweller
You're a 22-year-old NEET taking up space in her mother's basement. Fed up with said mother's insistence on nagging you about it, you decide to volunteer at the local preschool. You don't know what to expect from being the only human employee at a daycare staffed entirely by animals, but hey! It sure beats chomping on Cheetos and playing MMOs in yesterday's underwear.

CAMILO CUCINOTTA
Marsican Brown Bear
Obligatory Childhood Friend
A gentle giant with a penchant for checkered aprons, Camilo is a bear of all trades, boasting a wide variety of skills but a modest social circle. Shy, good-hearted, and cursed with a deceptively imposing body, this towering fellow welcomes you right away. After all, you went to middle school together! His investment in the daycare walks the line between passionate and inadvisable.

KAZUHIKO FUJIOKA
Japanese Sparrowhawk
Megane Sans Megane
Solitary, reserved Kazuhiko would be out of place at Bell Rock if it wasn't for his unexpected gift for storytelling. Although he doesn't interact much with the kids outside of storytime, Kazuhiko's fantastic tales and sleek feathers have earned him a top spot among the children's hearts. He seems to be uncomfortable around male human children moreso than the girls. Good thing you're a woman!

PIERRE CÉLESTIN DUVAL
Black-tailed Deer
The Social Butterfl... Stag
Pierre seems to like everyone. That's everyone-everyone. He compensates for Kazuhiko and Camilo's combined introversion with explosive enthusiasm for the people around him. Pierre's also kind of a flirt, which you've no choice but to notice. Many of the young mothers and beleaguered big sisters who patronize Bell Rock appear fond of him. But, are you?

Purpose Of This Thread

I'll be releasing WIPs and demos for public consumption as I put this thing together, one route at a time. This is my first time using WebStory and my transitions, timing and whatnot will be pretty clumsy! Although I may not act on all of your opinions and suggestions, I appreciate and value your feedback. To start us off, some questions:
  1. Which character are you most interested in?
  2. How do you, personally, imagine the characters? Realistically-proportioned, gijinkafied, scaled up/down to human size...?
I'm incredibly curious about your preferences! Have at 'em. :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: [NVL] Bell Rock Nursery [bizarre / slife / otome???]

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I think I'm going to love this. :D

Humans and sentient animals working together to take care of little children? Yes.

The main character is a lovable NEET? Double yes.

1. I hate picking favorites, especially when all the characters sound fun, but if I were in the MC's shoes, I'd probably be most interested in Kazuhiko---well, that's what I can say based on my initial impressions, anyway. I'm sure I will love Camilo and Pierre as well, though. How could I not? A bear that would hug me instead of tearing off my face and a stag I could watch without scaring him away . . . fun times ahead! And Kazuhiko is great at storytelling. That is friggin' adorable. And he's a megane . . . damn my weakness!

2. I'm seeing the characters drawn in a nursery school-style---simple and cute.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

This sounds awesome :)) The otome tag kind of... worries me but, overall loving the concept, art, and cute kiddies to come.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

MUKUDORI

#4 Post by MUKUDORI »

@Mad Harlequin
Glad to have your interest! I thought Kazuhiko might be popular; everyone loves birds. His route is a little typical in that it involves getting past his reserved exterior, but that sort of plotline's always well received, too.

@Hazel-Bun
I literally laughed out loud at your concerns. Don't worry, you won't be doing anything untoward with animals, but the relationship-building concept's supposed to be a loving, G-rated nod to Hatoful Boyfriend. Don't take it too seriously, 'cause I certainly don't. : D

Thanks for expressing your thoughts!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

OHHH~! I see, I see x'D That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying! And, forgot to answer the questions...

1). It's a tie between the Stag (Pierre) and Bear(Camilo) at the moment! I just adore both character archetypes too much <3 And, can I just say, I adore all of their names?

2). I image Bear as a slightly pudgy but overall buff, adorable man with long fingernails and tiny bear ears and a tail. Sparrowhawk I get a classic class-president jerk type with... maybe wings and horn glasses with the old lady pearl string? Stag I think of some white-blue-eyed man. Tall with horns and maybe dyed hair?
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

aeiou2626

#6 Post by aeiou2626 »

Oh man, my friend was in the room with me while I was reading this, and the horrified look on her face was priceless! She was like, "But how do you kiss a BIRD?! He's...got a BEAK!" :lol: That sort of thing never even crossed my mind; I wasn't getting the impression you'd be doing that in the game!

Hmm...I can't choose a favorite character D:! They all seem so cute, including the MC! I guess if I had to pick, I'd pick Camilo. A shy and sweet guy? Sign me up. I was thinking that the characters would be realistically sized, actually. Except Kazuhiko, I pictured him a little bit smaller than Pierre xD. But yeah, I'm hoping for realistically sized animals! ...actually, now that I think about it, a Kazuhiko perched on your arm would be hilarious! And imposing...

This game seems so cute! I'm not at all put off with the love-interests being animals, cuz it's not like your gonna be having "sexy tiemz" with them or anything :lol: . It seems more like there would be an innocent sort of love~! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#7 Post by sasquatchii »

This looks adorable. Really diggin' the art style, and the setting/concept of it being at a preschool. With animals!

1. I'm interested in Camilo the most. A deer and a hawk at a preschool around children, I can see. But a bear!? Even though he's a gentle giant, I'm just interested to see how his story line unfolds.

2. I imagine Camilo as a big, gruff, loveable/huggable shaggy brown bear that the children ride and cuddle up to. I can also see him maybe getting into awkward but hilarious situations because of his size, like getting stuck somewhere or scaring the hell out of some people (without meaning to). Kazuhiko I see as an older hawk, sage but wise, and a little severe looking. Pierre I can envision as having really huge antlers, with a sleek, muscled & powerful biold.

MUKUDORI

#8 Post by MUKUDORI »

@Hazel-Bun
Ehehe, thanks for your input! Those are some pretty unique mental images, I like them! The names were a little tough to come up with, so I'm glad it all worked out.

@aeiou:
Pfahahaha -- I wish I could've seen her face. No, there is no bestiality in this game. Thanks for your enthusiasm! I won't be explicitly describing the characters' sizes, so feel free to take some artistic liberty with your headcanons. Who's keeping tabs on realism in a game like this, amirite? Fufufu.

@sasquatchii
Thanks for your input, sqsquatchii. I'm glad you like our resident ursine friend. :D I was vaguely concerned that a bear wouldn't have much appeal, but I see I was wrong!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

sasquatchii wrote:2. I imagine Camilo as a big, gruff, loveable/huggable shaggy brown bear that the children ride and cuddle up to. I can also see him maybe getting into awkward but hilarious situations because of his size, like getting stuck somewhere or scaring the hell out of some people (without meaning to).
Now that you mention it, I fully expect a CG of the kids riding Camilo. If it does not happen in some form, I will summon my child self and she will cry.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

MUKUDORI

#10 Post by MUKUDORI »

I hadn't even thought of that. Now I must work a bear-riding scene into the script. All aboard!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#11 Post by sasquatchii »

Yaaay!! I am really looking forward to this one. Do you guys have an ETA for when you think it will be finished (or close to finished?)
ImageImage

MUKUDORI

#12 Post by MUKUDORI »

Can't say that I do; I've got a lot of paid art to focus on and I'm not sure when I'll have extras and CGs down. The writing will probs trudge along at a steady pace, but if you mean game-finished-altogether then I don't know. I'm a little slow with the draws now that pay-me-please season's begun.