Mabel's Pocket of Art

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

Mabel's Pocket of Art

#1 Post by Lady-Cynic »

I've been drawing a ton of BG's (amongst other things) so I decided to start a little art thread and maybe get some feedback. Anyways, now for some art.
This was gonna be for my game but then I decided to change the size of the game so it's no longer relevant. Love how the clouds came out though.
This was gonna be for my game but then I decided to change the size of the game so it's no longer relevant. Love how the clouds came out though.
Ah yes, the animu academy. *snickers*
Ah yes, the animu academy. *snickers*
Sometimes I get bored and this ends up happening. Looks horrible IMO. Orz
Sometimes I get bored and this ends up happening. Looks horrible IMO. Orz
Literally one of my fave pieces. God I love how he came out.
Literally one of my fave pieces. God I love how he came out.
Well, that's all I have on this comp. Prolly update with more art later though.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

Lady-Cynic
Regular
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep

Re: Mabel's Pocket of Art

#2 Post by Lady-Cynic »

A quick little sketch because I'm bored and have no life. Also I wanted to try my hand at a new shading technique. Worked out fine I think.
s,xz.png
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#3 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Quick concept sketch of a character for something I'm working on. She's hella cute, no? It's really lazy though, only used three layers. XD
Conceeeeept sketch. :P
Conceeeeept sketch. :P
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#4 Post by Broodelin »

That bigger version of your avatar just made me realize that I wasn't crazy earlier when I thought I saw something in the corner of one of your posts move. :o

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#5 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Broodelin wrote:That bigger version of your avatar just made me realize that I wasn't crazy earlier when I thought I saw something in the corner of one of your posts move. :o
Lawl, yeah this version is too small, and the other version is too big, and changing the size would be too much of a hassle, considering the gif is a good 19 some layers and 23 to animate. It's not my longest icon though, but sure as hell is my fave.

And to keep up with this art thread of mine, here's another quick lazy concept sketch I made, still using only three layers. Lineart's better though.
Oh look, it's Hannah's boyfriend.
Oh look, it's Hannah's boyfriend.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#6 Post by Lady-Cynic »

More concept art, except for my game To Hell with Love! It's from an excerpt of the prologue which can be found here. I really like the shining/glowing effect I was able to put on the crystals. Came out good in my opinion.
Concept sketch of the Cave.png
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#7 Post by Lady-Cynic »

New coloring style guys~! I'm do excited because it came out so good and I just really love it so much, blaaaargh.
Main Menu for Wendigo!
Main Menu for Wendigo!
The cave entrance BG in the morning. Not so happy with the lighting though...
The cave entrance BG in the morning. Not so happy with the lighting though...
Nighttime version guys!
Nighttime version guys!
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#8 Post by Lady-Cynic »

More BG for Wendigo~! Still a work in progress since I need to add shading and lighting, and then make a "night time" version. :p
WIP bg 2
WIP bg 2
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

miraiparasol
Projects: The Brink of Debt
IRC Nick: Mirai

#9 Post by miraiparasol »

For some advice, I think it wouldn't hurt to look up some perspective tutorials. In some of your drawings you do a front on perspective which doesn't give it much depth or the vanishing point is set too high such as with your bg 2

A tip when coloring backgrounds:objects in the foreground are generally darker than the background (there are exceptions where this isn't applied)

Another tip all around for coloring is contrast. increasing the contrast will improve the composition of the work and help sell the depth of the background. too little and your composition will seem flat. To check for contrast, you can put your work into black and white. A lot of professionals actually work grayscale/monochrome before laying down colors so they can get down the proper amount of contrast

I'm not an expert in perspective so I can't go into a whole lot of detail, but I hope this helps

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#10 Post by Lady-Cynic »

miraiparasol wrote:For some advice, I think it wouldn't hurt to look up some perspective tutorials. In some of your drawings you do a front on perspective which doesn't give it much depth or the vanishing point is set too high such as with your bg 2

A tip when coloring backgrounds:objects in the foreground are generally darker than the background (there are exceptions where this isn't applied)

Another tip all around for coloring is contrast. increasing the contrast will improve the composition of the work and help sell the depth of the background. too little and your composition will seem flat. To check for contrast, you can put your work into black and white. A lot of professionals actually work grayscale/monochrome before laying down colors so they can get down the proper amount of contrast

I'm not an expert in perspective so I can't go into a whole lot of detail, but I hope this helps
I actually noticed the perspective was off, but I was too far into the piece to change it. Orz. This is what happens when I don't check things I guess. I've never heard about the laying monochrome shading before adding color, so that's something I definitely need to look into. Thanks for the advice.

And now for more art.
The logo (I guess) for the blog. It's still incomplete seeing as I need to add the rubber chicken under my chair.
The logo (I guess) for the blog. It's still incomplete seeing as I need to add the rubber chicken under my chair.
Some art for a blog between my and my friend. "Aged" with coffee and fire. :D
Some art for a blog between my and my friend. "Aged" with coffee and fire. :D
Random thing I did cos I remembered I had sparkly blue ink and why the fuck not.
Random thing I did cos I remembered I had sparkly blue ink and why the fuck not.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#11 Post by Lady-Cynic »

I forgot I had more art ahahaha. Orz.
More Alation concept art of Xemina. I just really love drawing thon.
More Alation concept art of Xemina. I just really love drawing thon.
Concept art for a game called Alation. It's the part where Xemina get's thons wings.
Concept art for a game called Alation. It's the part where Xemina get's thons wings.
The first concept art for Xemina and the fam. A lot has changed in the design. (And shush, I know it's disproportionate. I didn't notice until after I inked it.)
The first concept art for Xemina and the fam. A lot has changed in the design. (And shush, I know it's disproportionate. I didn't notice until after I inked it.)
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!