Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG|Dark|Fantasy) [CHAPTER 3 OUT]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG, M/F Protag, Mystery, Romanc

#46 Post by Coren »

Thank you! :D

Another screenshot:
Eavesdropping on a strange conspiracy. What is going on here?

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#47 Post by Coren »

Most of my updates have been on Tumblr, so I'll just copy a few of the screenshots here.
Anyway, Asachi is now the main artist for the game! :D

Angie
Regular

#48 Post by Angie »

Oh, I love the last one. The look in her eyes... It's so beautiful~
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#49 Post by Coren »

Hahaha thanks! Another bunch of screenshots:

"Princess Micaiah - a charming girl with an otherworldly beauty, and various kinds of benign magic at her fingertips. It is not a stretch to say that every one of us here in this castle owe our lives to her. "

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#50 Post by Akitsuki »

I always try to love this kind of horror RPG but I'm too coward to even finish one LOL
But this one looks interesting! I don't know about the horror but I'm definitely going to play it! Good luck!

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#51 Post by Shinoki »

This seems awesome~!
:v all of the art.... is so <3
And... "Ah, Mika-chan, you incompetent dunce--" is so kyaaa~ I have weird tastes, but there's just that atmosphere behind that... that sounds epic. Dem eyes are epic.
*salutes*

uwah

#52 Post by uwah »

I've seen you around on both RMN and tumblr, and I must say I'm very much looking forward to your game!

Keep up the good work! :D

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by 15385bic »

the sprites looks excellent! and it plays like an rpg???

and you and your horror QAQ - i wonder if my heart can handle it...

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#54 Post by Coren »

Yes it's an RPG! :D Anyway, here are the updates!

Since the demo is almost done (and it’s 2.5 hours long) here is a sneak peek at one of the guest arts of the game, done by neruteru! This is the point-of-view swap image to let you know which character you are playing as :DD

And in the meantime, regarding voices - since auditions are far from over, I’ve decided to release the demo without full voices. :) So keep sending in your auditions, guys! No worries, the auditions aren’t over yet. Again, if you haven’t received an email or an ask from me please don’t be afraid of popping an ask over asking if I have received - because chances are I’ve missed it! ^^;

By the way I am looking for beta testers as well! :) Please send me a PM if you're interested~

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

Re: Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG) [Looking for Beta Testers!]

#55 Post by Coren »

The Mica: Apoptosis demo has been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

The demo is around 2 hours long. Warning: May contain triggering content, not suitable for children.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG) [DEMO RELEASED!]

#56 Post by try10 »

Interesting demo. I think this is the most promising demo I played this year. The only thought after I finished was that I needed to know more about each character.
The religious stuff was wicked and I really want to find the truth about the not so innocent princess and what really happened to their world.
I'm waiting for the full version to be released. You have such an unique imagination and I'm surprised that someone managed to use RPG maker for such a wonderful project. Good luck! :D

Aruise
Regular
Projects: Endless Corridor

#57 Post by Aruise »

I've tried your demo and it's sooo breathtaking both story and the art, good job! XDD
I love the mystery and horror in this game, soo much questions appear in my head. And that jumpscare... when "thing" appear in Lenine POV, I played it at 4.00 am so.. yeah... /rolls. And may I ask you... about the number of people in Micaiah POV? When fire start burning her room? I tried 215 and you know what happened TwT
Anyway I really looking forward to play the full version, good luck! :D
Current Project

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#58 Post by Coren »

Thanks guys! :D

And Aruise, you must've misunderstood the "8 out of 10" statement! ;u; It means "80% of the original 200 turned up". Sorry for the confusion!

And thanks for playing the demo, guys! I'd really appreciate if you could answer a few simple questions so I can make sure to shift the full game into the right direction. Thanks!

1. What do you think of the game so far?
2. Who are generally your favourite characters, and why?
3. What are some questions you want answered the most in the full game?
4. What do you predict are answers to these questions?
5. Which characters do you find the most curious or interesting? (Can overlap with #1)
6. What do you generally think of the story so far?
7. What particular scene(s) did you like in the demo?
8. Favorite chapter and protagonist?
9. ... Pairings/Ships, do you have any?
10. Was it scary?
11. What's your favourite part to play through?
12. Take a random screenshot!

And if you have any other thoughts about gameplay and so on, feel free to post them!

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Re: Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG, Psych, Romance) [DEMO 1.0]

#59 Post by plaster »

Neat! One of the most unique RPGMaker puzzle horror stories I've played and I thought the prison cell puzzles were engaging and fun!

Anju Anyu because his motive seems interesting.
Also Miss de Lancaster (sp?) because REASONS.

Mostly curious about the chronological relationship between the Mica plot and the castle plot. The way it was presented makes it appear as though they are consecutive at first but you soon figure out that is not the case. Also is there any connection between the original Mica/Anyu since he seems like her double. Double also the Castor/Euphy/Lenine situation and, finally, the meaning of apoptosis in this context. Mica SELF-DESTRUCTION?!

I'm too lazy to attempt a complete analysis but one theory that comes to mind in general is that Mica and Micaiah are the same person:
- Name similarity, duh
- Only Princess and Lenine are on the menu screen, which is strange seeing as Mica is the titular character and
- they're separate from Mica on that splash art because Mica/iah can't exist AT THE SAME TIME?!!?
- the title/logo associates a rose with the name Mica and Princess has "beautiful rose paintings" all over the castle
- Mica/iah both share the plant fetish ;D
Maybe Mica could manipulate metal (the cell door) to some extent but lost the ability as a result of hurting someone.
- Mica finds a castle at the end of the prologue and isn't a princess by birth, but becomes the effective Princess because she "founded" the present sanctuary against Things in the castle.

5. Which characters do you find the most curious or interesting? (Can overlap with #1)
Micaiah; barring the theory above I had some reservations about her at first, since she was mostly just alluded to when we first learn of her as some distant benevolent figure, and thus far distant benevolent figures have proven to cause problems it seems.

Cool! I love fictional mythologies.

Micaiah finding out she was in a dream!

Probably Micaiah's chapter. Lenine's was boring because it was mostly just running around examining locked doors and talking to every NPC and... comedy?

Mica/Devil ofc

10. Was it scary?
Nah but I appreciated the balcony scare

The Mica chases once you get the hang of them were sorta cool.

--
Can't wait for the full version, also I don't think I've visited this thread since it was only one page long. If you're still doing auditions of any sort I'd be thrilled to the bones to give that a shot!

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

Re: Mica: Apoptosis (Horror RPG, Psych, Romance) [DEMO 1.0]

#60 Post by dreamy »

I downloaded the demo a while ago but only got through playing it now heh. I really liked the creepy atmosphere to the game.

It was so epic! I loved solving the puzzles and the running games, it certainly made it more entertaining and fast-paced. I liked how the game showed which POV the chapter will be playing from. Although I found the music in the castle during Lenine's chapter obnoxiously annoying (It made the horror coming next seem rather out-of-place) I loved the music and how it fit the situation perfectly
Favourite characters hm...I don't know too much about them yet but so far I guess I like Euphony and Princess Micaiah. Euphony because she is just so adorable
I(I'm still not sure whether she's still alive or whether the demons will kill her later)
and Micaiah because she seems to try really hard to protect everyone
but also cunning by trying to trick Anyu
Anyu also seems to have nefarious intentions...
How Mika is related to Micaiah and Lenine. It is a bit of coincidence Mika's name is similar to Micaiah. Lenine also looks awfully similar to that boy Mika met at the research place. Is Micaiah the good guy or the Messiah? I wonder what happened to everybody else on the outside world...
I'll probably need to replay the demo to formulate my own theories
Mika and Micaiah both seem to be goddesses but Micaiah cannot manipulate metal but Mika can so they could be related in the past (since I'm guessing that Mika was held in the castle before being shifted to the research place). I think Lenine was the boy with Mika and the prologue took place a long time ago. I really have no clue what happened to Castor, Euphony and all of them.
Micaiah for the reasons above and Lenine. I also wonder how Fleur and Rainer are tied into all this.
There is so much religious stuff it's almost scary. I can't wait to see how the rest of the story unfolds and all the goddesses, demons and the Messiah.
The Micaiah fire scene and the balcony scene
The prologue with Mika (I loved all the puzzles and running to escape the prison) and I guess Lenine is my favourite protagonist since he seems the most sane(?) at the moment.
I'm not sure right now but...FleurxRainer, MikaxAnyu(Or any of the demons)
10. Was it scary?
Well except for the part where I kept dying by doing something stupid and the timed running scenes (seemed more like jump scares), it seemed pretty fine to me (I was so scared to even return to the balcony or Mika's room)
Puzzles! And reading Lenine's journal of course.
mica 2.PNG
I'm too lazy to backtrack to an earlier bit :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait to see the story unfold and all the other jump scares this game has!
I thought I should let you know but during the prologue where Mika had to run away from the pursuer when the Cardinal killed Rothwell I came across this weird glitch where when I tried to run but when I ran back to the previous room, the guy from the previous room who I was trying to run from with 4 seconds caught me instead of the pursuer behind me. I managed to bypass it by replaying the whole game.
Other than that I found the game very enjoyable! Good luck!
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."