[Solved] Setting a publisher for a game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

[Solved] Setting a publisher for a game

#1 Post by Gear »

So, when I load my game, I get this:

Now, I realize that there's nothing I can do about this. Obviously, being an independent video game developer (read: newb), I'm not going to be a "trusted" publisher. But is there any way to tell Windows to change "Unknown Publisher" to something else? Or is this too next-level for a newbie dev?
Last edited by Gear on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Setting a publisher for a game

#2 Post by Asceai »

Changing “Publisher” information for a “.exe” file

(you need a resource editor. I dunno if cff explorer or resource hacker can do it, but I'm sure something can)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Gear »

Hm. I'm going to assume, then, that I'm boned. I worry that any external program might screw with my Ren'Py code, and there's always the problem of unpacking and repacking a distro.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Gear »

I take that back. I got one of those programs and it seems to have worked. Oddly enough, the warning message doesn't appear anymore. But the game still seems to be functioning, so that's good.

Kaen
Regular

Re: [Solved] Setting a publisher for a game

#5 Post by Kaen »

Could you share what program you used? Thanks!

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [Solved] Setting a publisher for a game

#6 Post by Gear »

Sure! It's called ResEdit.