Looking for some free voice packs

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Desynthia

Looking for some free voice packs

#1 Post by Desynthia »

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some voice packs? I really liked the ones from here http://www.apphiayu.com/casting/free.html but I am making an otome game, so I want a voice pack that isn't meant for a rpg because I just want simple things like "Hi, uh huh, and no" not attacks and stuff... Does anyone know where I can get some free voice packs? (I need both male and female.)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: Looking for some free voice packs

#2 Post by Gear »

Honestly can't say I do, but if you go to sites like the Voice Acting Alliance, you can get VAs to record custom clips for you for free. I always think that original material, where it can be gained, is better than prepackaged assets. But your mileage may vary.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

Check the recruiting section here at LSF http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=38. There are several folks who offer free voice actng, and some link to samples of their work.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#4 Post by kitsubasa »

Agreeing with Gear on this; you're best off going to VAA or VAC and posting threads there with the characters you're looking for and some test lines for them, then holding auditions. I'd assume voicepacks are, by and large, going to be based around fighting noises, so you might have trouble finding prerecorded stuff for multiple characters that takes a more conversational approach.

The advantage of getting original voicework would be that you can tailor it to your game, you can get a variety of voices and ensure you won't run into a problem with having to use say, one male voicepack for every male character, and also you've got a bit of control over things like the file format and the tone of the takes. Plus, you can set deadlines as short or as long as you like on both sites, as long as you have a deadline of some kind. So, if you need them ASAP, you could just set the deadline a couple of days from now. I run in a bunch of VAing circles, and my friends and I tend to leap on game auditions as soon as they come up, since they're often the most interesting projects that get posted around, so to my knowledge you wouldn't have much trouble getting auditions even on a short notice-- just make sure you give enough info in any threads you post, and people will usually hop right onboard.

Alternatively, like Fleet mentioned, you could scout on the LSF recruitment forums, though that might take a little longer since you'd have to go after each actor one by one, whereas holding auditions you can get everyone at once-- though the upside of scouting is that you can separate the wheat from the chaff yourself, so to speak, and avoid actors with poor recording quality or flat reads that you might get from open casting. Lastly, if you have Tumblr, posting on the voice acting tag can sometimes turn up results, since a lot of VAs track it in case auditions are offered. There are plenty of places to shop around for VAs, so if voicepacks aren't an option, it shouldn't worry you too much. Amateur VAs are generally up for any interesting work, even if it's unpaid-- you just have to put your project up in relevant spots. :D