Notturno [GxB/GxG] [Otome] [Genderbender]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
cosmic latte
Projects: Notturno, Project Lovingly
Organization: Iridescence VNs

Notturno [GxB/GxG] [Otome] [Genderbender]

#1 Post by cosmic latte »

SYNOPSIS

Alex has always dreamt of attending Oceanside Academy, a prestigious school well-known for its astronomy and astrophysics program. So naturally, when the opportunity for her to attend comes along, she takes it, though the catch is that she has to masquerade as her twin brother for the entire school year. Despite this Alex is willing to do anything to make it happen, and when she secures her spot there, she expects nothing but a smooth sail for the year in front of her.

But her stay at Oceanside Academy will turn out to be anything but smooth. Even though Alex is more interested in learning about astronomy than anything else, her life will become entangled with others at her school. She'll get into weird situations, make friends, break relationships, and maybe even find it in her to love someone. And not only will she have to deal with the brewing problems at her school, but she will also be forced to reconsider personal things that have always troubled her - her identity, her dreams, her future.

FEATURES
  • free-to-play otome PC game
  • 5 male love interests and 3 female love interests (might combine/cut down on the routes)
  • character-driven storytelling, no stat-raising
  • friendship routes
  • seasonal calendar in a one-year timeline (fall, winter, spring, summer)
CHARACTERS
Alexandra Yang
A grumpy, introverted deadpan snarker who spends way too much time on the internet. Around people she doesn't know too well, she puts up an amicable front, reflecting the personality and interests of her acquaintance.

Ethan Cruz
Alex's roommate. Fierce, headstrong, has a short fuse. Even though he might seem a bit rough around the edges, Ethan is very perceptive and due to his empathetic nature, he often puts others over himself.

Christopher Wade
The student council president. As a natural leader and an easygoing person, Chris is well-known and respected amongst the student body. Although he is polite, he makes it a point not to be overly friendly.

Wesley Trinh
A gentle and kind basketball player who seems to be all-around perfect. Sometimes, however, he becomes very absent-minded and randomly thinks out loud in philosophical questions.

Nick Santiago
A bouncy and eager person has a lot of friends. Nick enjoys being around others and being in the center of attention, so at times he can be quite melodramatic. He also tends to be a pushover.

Jason Kimura
A stoic, silent person who is often seen with bruises and bandages on him.

Diana Weiss
Although she might seem ladylike at first, Diana is really a child at heart, both in a bad and good way, as she is moody, sentimental, but determined. She prefers 2D men over those in the real world, and is an avid fan of BL games.

Kathy Trinh
A talkative and ambitious athlete who plays water polo and swims competitively. She often enjoys challenging other people, particularly her brother Wesley, to her own little competitions.

Victoria Hart
She doesn't talk much, but when she does, Victoria tends ramble off in webspeak. Her confidence is often misinterpreted as arrogance, but she doesn't really care what people think about her.

Summer Donoghue
A thoughtful (and somewhat manipulative) girl who serves as one of the school's peer counselors.

Cassander Yang
Alexandra's twin brother.
PROGRESS
WRITING
story outline: 15%
script: 6k/??? (planning for 70k+)

ART
BGs: 0%
CGs: 0%
sprites: 1% (working on concept art)
GUI: 5% (logo done!)

OTHER
music: 0% (0/11 songs)
programming: 0%

UPDATES

7/25/14 - LSF thread posted!

NOTES
This is a long-term project for me while I work on art for other visual novels! I've had this idea for several years but never really pushed through in terms of development. I understand the whole genderbender plot is unrealistic, but I've always found the idea amusing and wanted to create a game revolving around that genre. I also might cut down on the amount of routes the game will have, since 8 pursuables is a bit too much for me to handle.

My current plan, to get this project going, is to finish up the demo script (which will basically include the first week of autumn), and I've got prequel to that finished. After that I'll start looking for placeholder music/BGs, and work on the sprites and CGs. I'm not sure when I'll be able to release this demo, but I'll do my best to finish it. I also have the character routes figured out, but I have yet to figure out the pacing and the specific events that happen on the calendar system.

The current character images are placeholders, and their designs are subject to change (esp. Wesley).

I'm trying to handle this game solo, but in the future I will be looking for a musician (crossing my fingers for a custom OST, but I know composing music takes a lot of time) and proofreaders. I'll update weekly on my tumblr blog (http://iridescence-vns.tumblr.com/) and this thread. I made this thread to mostly report progress and keep track of what I'm doing, but I'd also like to hear some of your feedback.

QUESTIONS
1. Would you play this game? Why or why not?
2. Which character would you go for first?
3. What would you like to see in this game? What are your expectations? Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Last edited by cosmic latte on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

eileen
Veteran
Projects: Akiba Z and Passion Sync
Organization: Aphrodisia/Beautiful Starr
Tumblr: beautifulstarrx

Re: Notturno [GxB/GxG] [Otome] [Genderbender]

#2 Post by eileen »

This game seem interested especially with the gender-bender part. :D

1. I would play it because of the story, the gender-bender part and girls.
2. Probably Victoria or Summer
3. Not sure yet... I will get back to you on that. LOL

CatyCats
Regular

#3 Post by CatyCats »

Reminds me of the movie " She's the man" a bit xp

1.Would you play this game? Why or why not?
Yes. It has an interesting story and I would like to find out how it would end. Plus it has a year limit!
Christopher , he looks gentle x)
3. What would you like to see in this game? What are your expectations? Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!
I love the romances of each one routes. Also a bit of comedy in it. There can be alot of events like jealousy too. And maybe sad ones too. (I love everything!)

Good luck and good job!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#4 Post by AsHLeX »

Yeah! Definitely would play this game! Just reading about the plot made me excited haha. I love genderbender games/stories! <3 As for which character I would play first... honestly idk. O.O. My guess is the roomie ^^" I do tend to be more interested in the dude the character i'm playing is sleeping next to first ^^".
What would I like so see...
The main characters personality :D
Hopefully (://shot) she won't be too girly (but heck, even if she is i'll play it anyway :D). Also, I would probably be most interested in the friendship routes :D. I guess what would be really nice are a little slice-of-life scenes to enjoy the moment, ya know? Sometimes lovers just jump straight into the romance without getting to know each other first. *just my personal opinion, you can ignore everything i said above haha*

Good luck!!! :D
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Ays-chan

#5 Post by Ays-chan »

Hell yes! since there aren't many gender bender games i think it's gonna be interesting.
Ethan.I like his personality then i would go for Diana's friendship route since she's so like me.
You know the one thing I hate most about the otome games are sometimes (not all of them) they end up pretty quickly.What I mean is,i don't want it to be like you go and win his/her heart and then confession and the kissing scene then the game is ended.Just no.Like,I need MOAR.I need to see the relationship progression from holding hands to hugging and to kissing and many other things.And I would like to see events like jealousy.Jealousy always makes me blush since it's such a cute thing :oops: That's all I have to say.Keep up the good work ^^

cosmic latte
Projects: Notturno, Project Lovingly
Organization: Iridescence VNs

#6 Post by cosmic latte »

Updated with Diana's and Ethan's colored sketches. I'm not sure if his hair is too bright. XD Originally it was going to be blue, but it didn't quite match his skin tone. What do you guys think?
eileen wrote:This game seem interested especially with the gender-bender part. :D

1. I would play it because of the story, the gender-bender part and girls.
2. Probably Victoria or Summer
3. Not sure yet... I will get back to you on that. LOL
Haha, thank you! :D I'm glad that the GxG part appeals to you. I was debating between having the girls stay as friends or love interests, but since Alex is pansexual, I thought it would be interesting for the player to be able to pursue them.
CatyCats wrote:Reminds me of the movie " She's the man" a bit xp

1.Would you play this game? Why or why not?
Yes. It has an interesting story and I would like to find out how it would end. Plus it has a year limit!
Christopher , he looks gentle x)
I love the romances of each one routes. Also a bit of comedy in it. There can be alot of events like jealousy too. And maybe sad ones too. (I love everything!)

Good luck and good job!
Ah, yes! I loved that movie, it was so funny; I was inspired by stuff like that movie and various anime/manga (OHSHC haha). Thanks so much for your feedback! :)
AsHLeX wrote:Yeah! Definitely would play this game! Just reading about the plot made me excited haha. I love genderbender games/stories! <3 As for which character I would play first... honestly idk. O.O. My guess is the roomie ^^" I do tend to be more interested in the dude the character i'm playing is sleeping next to first ^^".
What would I like so see...
The main characters personality :D
Hopefully (://shot) she won't be too girly (but heck, even if she is i'll play it anyway :D). Also, I would probably be most interested in the friendship routes :D. I guess what would be really nice are a little slice-of-life scenes to enjoy the moment, ya know? Sometimes lovers just jump straight into the romance without getting to know each other first. *just my personal opinion, you can ignore everything i said above haha*

Good luck!!! :D
Yay, thank you!! Alex is not exactly girly, I'd say. She does play otome games and like cute things, but she also swears like a sailor and is pretty crude.
I totally understand what you mean by slice-of-life; I really want to emphasize those simple but memorable moments between friends. The characters, in all cases, will become friends first and then have the question of romance later. I hope I can bring that to life with this game. Thanks again! :)
Ays-chan wrote:1. Would you play this game? Why or why not?
Hell yes! since there aren't many gender bender games i think it's gonna be interesting.
Ethan.I like his personality then i would go for Diana's friendship route since she's so like me.
You know the one thing I hate most about the otome games are sometimes (not all of them) they end up pretty quickly.What I mean is,i don't want it to be like you go and win his/her heart and then confession and the kissing scene then the game is ended.Just no.Like,I need MOAR.I need to see the relationship progression from holding hands to hugging and to kissing and many other things.And I would like to see events like jealousy.Jealousy always makes me blush since it's such a cute thing :oops: That's all I have to say.Keep up the good work ^^
True, true. It's really too bad when they finally get together, the game ends. And I agree, jealousy is really cute, especially with tsunderes (my weakness bahaha). Except when it turns yandere. Then I just fear for my life. ; D ;
I'll keep what you said in mind when I write the routes! Thanks so much for your feedback!!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

Yay! I'm really looking forward to it :D Good luck and all the best! :D
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Alice PH
Regular

#8 Post by Alice PH »

BECAUSE. GENDERBENDER. You have no idea how much I'm into this genre, and I mean, REALLY REALLY. More games needs to be like this more >D
Hnnnng, so much to choose!! I mean, I like all of them, with exception of Christopher, sorry. Ah...Maybe I will go for..Nick or Ethan <3
I'm not exactly sure what would I want to expect. I would love a lot of surprises...And shocking expression from others because genderbender, I thoroughly enjoy the surprise and shocked expression from others. And backstory, heheh. AND LOTS OF EMBARRASSING SCENE XD Oh yeah and ASTRONOMY, i look forwards to tiny fun facts that you might add in or not.
If you give your words on the game that you will finish.
I will wait. Let it be 2 years,4 years or more ★

wererat42
Regular

#9 Post by wererat42 »

Yeah. There are never enough GxG titles, even if it's just one or two GxG routes sequestered in otome games.
You say there's 3 female routes, but show four female characters, so I'm not sure which have routes; but for now I'll go with Kathy since I'm a fan of athletic girls.
Would like to see how the female routes work out after they find out Alex is a girl. I see a lot of anime/manga with males cross-dressing and when the girls who fell for the female alter ego find out, there is typically zero fallout. Would be nice if you could make something somewhat more believable, yet still work out in the end.

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#10 Post by Akitsuki »

This looks interesting! I haven't really tried genderbender VN so I really hope you finish this that I can try!

Sure I would! Genderbender makes me curious!

I think I'd go for Christopher! Or Nick! Aaaah I can't wait to see their sprites! Good luck!

Twists of course! What kind of, I have no idea LOL. I rarely guess about the plotlines because I want it to be a surprise. I just hope it's written well so I won't get bored playing it. Would you call that tips? LOL.

Good luck with the game btw!!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#11 Post by neuropsy »

Before I begin, can I just say that the logo is absolutely beautiful?

I'd definitely play this game. For one, I'm really into astronomy and enjoy games set in schools in general. Hehe, my "dream" significant other would actually be someone dedicated to astrophysics or a field related to it, so perhaps I can fulfill my daydreams by vicariously living my life through Alex. I'm also all for the idea of platonic routes, too!

Wesley. His personality is perfect, especially with his habit of blurting out philosophical questions. When I read this thread, I literally said out loud that he's the one I plan to pursue. Afterwards, plan to pursue a friendship route (or even romance, depending :p) with Amelia. She reminds me of myself. Also, she's adorable.

I would love to see references to real science. That would make me so bubbly and happy. If math starts entering the picture though, my brain might get fried, but I'll still try to comprehend what it's saying and enjoy the game regardless. XD I have high expectations for this game, and I'm sure I'm really going to enjoy it. The astronomy school premise is too good for me to pass up.

Props for being realistic with your work capabilities when it comes to routes. Rest assured, even if not all the characters have routes, I'm still 100% sure I'll be playing this game. I cannot wait for a demo, too! I followed your blog on tumblr and will be promoting it...once I actually start blogging stuff, that is. xD
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#12 Post by Seigetsu »

Yes, another game with GxG routes in progress! I'm looking forward to future updates! Nice art by the way.

Yes, if the GxG routes make it to the final product. Personally, I'm just not interested in GxB romance, so I suppose the only reason why I wouldn't play it would be if you decide to cut all the GxG routes in the end (By the way, this is just a personal preference. I can totally understand that others might be playing for the GxB routes)

Victoria. I really like the quiet types who sort of starts rambling incomprehensibly when they get riled up. Maybe also Summer, since I like the semi-evil types as well, in games anyway (you mentioned that she is manipulative?)

I really just want to see this game completed eventually. It looks really ambitious, so while I'd love to play such a game, I guess I'm somewhat worried that you might have trouble finishing it. I agree that you'll probably have to cut down some routes to get this to work, or maybe recruit more people to help. I'm really excited by how you say this game is going to be character-driven and not stats-rising. That sounds like a lot more writing on your part, but as a game player, I find it much more fulfilling to play a game with involved storylines for each character rather than concentrate on planning out a weekly schedule for the protagonist (I'm not too much a fan of stats-rising games, not that there is anything wrong with them per say...) I guess you can try to finish a route first before proceeding to the other routes, so in the case that you lose interest in the game, you can still wrap it up by scrapping the other routes. I find that it's better than writing several routes at once and ending up with fragments of each storyline, which would result in an incomplete and unreleased game. Also, I'm personally not too hung up on game music, BGs, or multiple sprite poses - I think some free-to-use resources in those aspects might help lessen your workload.

Anyway, best of luck in everything. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for making this game! I'm looking forward to playing it.
Last edited by Seigetsu on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

crystalxelement

#13 Post by crystalxelement »

Going to place my two cents in.

Yes, definitely, because as much as the premise may sound a bit typical, I think it's because people can pull it off in a different way, like how many people interpret Little Red Riding Hood in so many different ways.

For the girl, I would definitely go for Diana Weiss because she prefers 2D men over real men, and that sounds absolutely comedic. For the guy, I would go for Wesley Trinh, only because he thinks out loud in philosophical questions, which I find to be very different from characters that are written today.

Based off the different names and last names, I'm hoping to see cultural differences be involved in each person's respective routes, along with the protagonist, Alexandra, her last name being Yang by default. I don't have any expectations for this yet also because it is still in the beginning of the works.

One thing I would love to say though, is that I really love the name choices. Because it shows the different ethnicity, and I think that is a wonderful idea.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#14 Post by Harliqueen »

I would. Some of the greatest VNs I've played have had plots that aren't always realistic, but that's the fun part! :D

Ethan- I always like that type of character.

Some fun moments, but overall it's sounding really great already!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#15 Post by noeinan »

Yes, the art looks good and I'm a fan of the genderbender genre.

Hm, probably Victoria or Jason, since I'm a fan of kuuderes. Ethan also looks good, but I think I am somewhat biased because he has completed art and I'm a very visually oriented person.

I would really like to see realistic crossdressing. I cannot even express how much I hate reading "Sweet Polly Oliver" storylines where there is absolutely no way she would get away with X, Y, or Z. (To the extreme, there are even ones where the MC goes around with her boobs half exposed and somehow... No one notices!?) It would be really cool to see her using an actual binder, using a packer, stand-to-pee device or just avoiding public bathrooms, etc.

I'd also like the story to actually address people's sexualities, and not like... handwave them. So, if a guy falls for you and is struggling with internalized homophobia, I'd like it to not just be "well, I was attracted to you because you were a girl all along!" At least, it would be good if there was variety in reactions. Like, maybe one person isn't attracted to you at all until they find out you are a girl, another ends up considering that they might be bisexual, but someone else is actually no longer attracted to you as a girl. (Their sexuality doesn't just magically morph for the plot.)

If you don't want some romance endings to just end with "well, I'm gay so I'm no longer attracted to you" you could try giving Alex a different gender identity for that route. So, the gay guy finds out your body is different, but you say "I am a guy, I'm just trans" and the two get together in the end.