Making a simple shooter system with Ren'Py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bavsone

Making a simple shooter system with Ren'Py

#1 Post by Bavsone »

Hi all guys!
I'm new to this forum, so if I'm not respecting some rules, feel free to delete this topic.
All I wanted to ask you it's if I can make a simple shooter game with Ren'py using sprites and all, for example, sprites of enemies will show up, you click them, and the sprite will change, if you don't shoot them in about a second, enemies will kill you.
I have a poor knowledge of python code, so I'm looking for someone that can help me.
Thank you in advance!
P.S. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Re: Making a simple shooter system with Ren'Py

#2 Post by Milkymalk »

It's possible, but a little challenging if you don't know your way around python yet. Ren'Py can do a lot of the needed work with its SpriteManager class, read up on that and look at the examples first. You should understand classes and lists (and ren'py/pygame events) for that.

There is no quick-and-easy way though. My tip: Get a good beginner's book about python and start reading, if you are serious about including minigames in your VNs.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

Bavsone

Re: Making a simple shooter system with Ren'Py

#3 Post by Bavsone »

Milkymalk wrote:It's possible, but a little challenging if you don't know your way around python yet. Ren'Py can do a lot of the needed work with its SpriteManager class, read up on that and look at the examples first. You should understand classes and lists (and ren'py/pygame events) for that.

There is no quick-and-easy way though. My tip: Get a good beginner's book about python and start reading, if you are serious about including minigames in your VNs.
Milkymalk wrote:It's possible, but a little challenging if you don't know your way around python yet. Ren'Py can do a lot of the needed work with its SpriteManager class, read up on that and look at the examples first. You should understand classes and lists (and ren'py/pygame events) for that.

Thank you for the answer!