Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law](REVAMPED-See Acquittal: Induction)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sjgriffiths
Regular
Projects: Acquittal: Induction
Organization: Procella Games
itch: procellagames

Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law](REVAMPED-See Acquittal: Induction)

#1 Post by sjgriffiths »

When a tragic calamity strikes the United Kingdom, a young law student, Storm Sente, is called to the bar as a barrister, to protect the innocent in court. But a growing threat is intertwined with Storm's cases as a ruthless cult threatens to change the future of law and order.

PROJECT REVAMP IN PROCESS - KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE!
Call to the Turnabout™ (working title) was born from inspiration from Capcom's Ace Attorney series and is in many ways a homage. Alternating between the investigation of criminal cases at the crime scene and the defence of clients in heated courtroom trials, it inherits its basic mechanics from the classic visual novel series, while taking and running with those core concepts.

Featuring a distinctive style, innovative gameplay mechanics and an epic story with a colourful cast of characters to match, Call to the Turnabout is comprised of five episodes, each longer and more challenging than the last, following the story of Storm Sente as he is thrown into a world of crime and justice while trying to discover the truth behind the fateful terrorist attack on his university.

This law-drama adventure game will be available for PC and Mac, planned for release on Steam Greenlight.

The GUI and artwork shown in the screenshots/video is essentially in a prototype stage. Based on critical feedback received, these will be greatly improved and perfected with the funding. The screenshots are an initial mock-up to present the proof-of-concept and general idea.

-- PLOT OVERVIEW --

By the grace of God, Storm Sente finds himself an only survivor to a colossal explosion which obliterated his law school on the morning of 15th March, 2019. As such, he is forced the litigate in court as the only barrister available for miles around, defending a young man, Richard Kingsley, of a murder which occurred the very same morning.

Is Richard really innocent or guilty? Is the evidence all that it seems to be? Could this crime be related to the explosion in some way? These are some of the questions Storm must answer along with the counsel for the prosecution, Sebastian Donovan, as he is forced to mature and enter the harsh world of law and crime years early, desperate for the truth behind the event which claimed his friends, education and - very nearly - his life.

-- MAIN CHARACTERS --

Storm Sente
The player character. A 20-year-old British law student. When his life is turned upside-down on the morrow of 15th March, 2019, he has no choice but to be called to the bar in order to pursue the truth and justice he seeks.

Richard Kingsley
A polar opposite to the intellectual Storm, Richard is a school drop-out working at a fast food restaurant... but his life suddenly becomes much more interesting when he jumps into the world of law and order.

DCI Lizzy Harrison
Despite being only 26, Detective Chief Inspector Harrison holds a high rank within the CID thanks to her natural abilities and assertion in crime-solving, in addition to a high rank in the eyes of Storm.

Sebastian Donovan
Sophisticated and authoritative, Donovan is a crown prosecutor whom Storm faces in his very first case. A good man who cares for the truth just as much as Storm, he completes his trio of closest allies.

-- CREDITS --

The project's production, writing and programming is handled in-house by Sam Griffiths t/a Procella Games. Here's a list of all the amazingly talented and gracious people working on the various assets (with links where appropriate):
• Composer | Caleb Cuzner
• Concept artist | Nicole Aniceto
• Prototype character artist | Karl Rillera
• Prototype background/animation artist | Alexis Rillera
• Prototype GUI designer | Angel Wareman
• GUI designer | Juan Mojica
• Voice talent | Austin Lee Matthews · David J. Dixon · Kira Buckland · Corey Holland · Joshua Tomar · Kristyn Mass

-- MUSIC --

The whole original soundtrack has been composed and finalised by Caleb Cuzner. Consisting of 33 tracks, here's some selected samples:
Overture of the Courtroom
Storm Sente - In Pursuit of Justice
Remand - Lament of Innocence
There's also some more music samples in the project video above!

-- SCREENSHOTS --

Here's some prototype screenshots from the Trial sections of the game. More coming soon!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Sam Griffiths
Procella Games

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by sjgriffiths on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law] [KICKSTARTER soon]

#2 Post by Rinima »

Oh my, I love the Ace Attorney games!
I'm going to be playing this :D

Also just noticed you have Karl as your artist, nice call XD

EDIT: Also, is there more than one case?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

sjgriffiths
Regular

#3 Post by sjgriffiths »

Rinima wrote:Oh my, I love the Ace Attorney games!
I'm going to be playing this :D

Also just noticed you have Karl as your artist, nice call XD

EDIT: Also, is there more than one case?
Great, glad to hear it! :lol: AA's definitely my favourite series, tied with Pokémon.

To answer your question: yep, there's five episodes featuring five separate cases:
  1. Dawn of the Turnabout
  2. Turnabout Astronomy
  3. A Dark Turnabout
  4. Eternity's Turnabout
  5. Turnabout Cliffhanger
So, obvious Phoenix Wright inspiration there, too!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I love the AA series and this looks great. I look forward to seeing the upcoming video. I'm sure the game will look really cool in action C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#5 Post by pickle131 »

//just gonna stalk this page because this looks amazing
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

sjgriffiths
Regular

#6 Post by sjgriffiths »

UPDATE:

A full project video/trailer will be coming tomorrow!
For the time being, here's a couple more screenshots teasing the Examination gameplay:

Image Image

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

"It was him" should be "It was he." Just letting you know.

And as the offspring of attorneys, I'm interested in seeing more!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

sjgriffiths
Regular

#8 Post by sjgriffiths »

Mad Harlequin wrote:"It was him" should be "It was he." Just letting you know.

And as the offspring of attorneys, I'm interested in seeing more!
Yep, I'd taken that into account :lol: This was more a case of replicating 'colloquial' conversational grammar, as cringe-worthy as it can often be.

There'll be a trailer released very soon!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yeah, I suspected that you might have intended it to be a colloquialism, but I wasn't sure. But now that I know, the part of my brain that's always screaming about strict grammatical rules should shut up. Heheheh . . .
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

sjgriffiths
Regular

#10 Post by sjgriffiths »

UPDATE:

Here's a first-look trailer for the project showcasing some rudimentary gameplay footage (and also some more music!):

Assuming all goes according to schedule, the Kickstarter campaign should be launching TOMORROW, the 1st August!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#11 Post by Rinima »

Well, that was impressive. I can't wait till tomorrow now :D
Also, since you've linked it on here, can we assume there will be a demo?

also, is it bad that I'm excited for this, one of the key reasons is just because it's set in England? *coughnotenoughgamesaresobcough*
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Chaotic
Regular

#12 Post by Chaotic »

I absolutely adored the Ace Attorney series, as well as the Ace Investigation series too. I'm looking forward to this project; you've definitely got my support for the Kickstarter (no matter how small the amount, it still counts eh?)

sjgriffiths
Regular

#13 Post by sjgriffiths »

Rinima wrote:Well, that was impressive. I can't wait till tomorrow now :D
Also, since you've linked it on here, can we assume there will be a demo?

also, is it bad that I'm excited for this, one of the key reasons is just because it's set in England? *coughnotenoughgamesaresobcough*
Not entirely sure re. a demo. If I did put one together for the campaign, it'd have to be extremely rudimentary at this early point to the extent where I'm not sure it'd be worth it at all. Certainly, one would have to keep in mind a suspension of disbelief for how a lot of the GUI and character art is simply nonexistent/placeholdered at this stage.

That said, it might still be able to give a general feel for the dialogue engine and a somewhat-altered excerpt from the storyline, so I'll consider it once the campaign's up and running!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

One thing, though: For the love of all that is good and just, PLEASE get a custom font for the game text. Using the generic Ren'Py font looks really amateurish.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Mad Harlequin »

At least it's legible. That's more than I can say for some custom fonts I've seen.
— Mark Twain