Unemployed... Should you get a job or Sell Visual Novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
screenmac

Unemployed... Should you get a job or Sell Visual Novel?

#1 Post by screenmac »

The America economy isn't growing fast enough. Sometimes it hard to a find job. Some places don't have a job openings. You are stuck and struggling to find a job.
What should you do if your time management fails such as Job, income, marriage, etc?

Should you do like JK Rowling writing a Renpy Games or Find a low level Job quit American Dream?

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: Unemployed... Should you get a job or Sell Visual Novel?

#2 Post by Rinima »

Well, getting a job would be more secure.... just keep looking and work on your visual novel at the same time, but don't just rely on visual novels to begin with!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

Find a job.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

screenmac

#4 Post by screenmac »

Man... This is scary as hell. Even if there's no job openings on the public. Lack of Job openings. Lack of startups.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

Find a job.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#6 Post by thebackup »

I must admit, I thought I could make a living selling visual novels. Boy was I wrong.

Yeah... keep looking for a job. And when you do find one, you can use what you earned to help create your VN, whether it be free or commercial.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#7 Post by curry nochi rice »

I swear to God, get a job. Please do get one.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

You're very likely to spend money to make your VN so.... A job is best.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#9 Post by Rinima »

I mean, selling visual novels is kinda nice for pocket money, but it's now where near enough to support yourself.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#10 Post by SundownKid »

Get a job, any job. It will probably be a lot easier on you then trying to make money via visual novels. It's anything but guaranteed, especially if you have no experience in it and you fail at any one of these things: writing, programming, marketing, time management, design, team management, hiring, etc. If you don't have a game that can get through Steam Greenlight then you can forget making much money, and that is a toss up.

Plus you will need some money to invest in it off the bat, so if you are hard up on cash you will want to first make some money to invest in the game. Even if you go the Kickstarter route you will need a couple thousand dollars to make a decent Kickstarter pitch and demo.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#11 Post by KomiTsuku »

The job market isn't as bleak as you seem to think it is, but I'm going to be the argumentative one and say go with the visual novel route. Sure, there's a 95% chance that you'll end up destitute, but there's always that 5% chance that you'll hit it big and be set. I get the feeling that you're probably younger, which means you have plenty of time to recover should things not pan out. If you always worry about the bottom line in life, you'll never be happy.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#12 Post by netravelr »

I would suggest spend half your day working on finding a job, and half the day working on your visual novel. That way if you don't find a job, you still are doing something that you feel is productive. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#13 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Find a job. Any job. It's easier to find a better job when you are already employed.

The only situation in which this should be debated is if you've already put out a decent number of VNs that have made good profits.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#14 Post by mugenjohncel »

screenmac wrote:Should you do like JK Rowling writing a Renpy Games or Find a low level Job quit American Dream?
Why limit yourself to only two options?... What about the third option?... risk it all by getting a loan and... start... a... Business? :wink:

Once you have a stable stream of income that generate revenue with minimum supervision... that would be the day when you can grow your hair long, grow a mustache, wear aloha shirt, get fat and start making VN's while generally just goofing around without being encumbered by day job/money concerns.

Of course, not everyone has the proper mindset to engage in such high stakes gamble. If that's the case, then Trick's suggestion is the next best thing... Find a job, any job... and focus on it for the meantime... set aside money for that dream VN of yours and once you've saved enough, that's the time you strike and make the VN of your dreams without sacrificing/compromising your vision of it... Making VN's is supposed to be fun... sure, profit is also a driving force in making VN's but that's the minority, the people who enjoy making VN's while making money out of it... And while we're on the subject of people who did succeed... chances are, it's... either break even or just Thousands or Hundreds of Thousands but never Millions...

It's not worth to strain yourself trying to create a VN under such financial / time / situation constraints and even if you did manage to succeed, will you be satisfied by the end result knowing very well that you probably did not enjoy making it as much as if you are in a less constrained situation... or perhaps you did enjoy making it but at the expense of your financial stability...
Start by selling something people will always want and need regardless of season and time of day again and again that has a high profit margin per sale/transaction... like Consumable Printer Inks... that's how I got my start... :)
"POOF" (Disappears)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Why not both? It's not like selling (or do you mean MAKING) visual novels must be a full time job. You can find job and while at that, start making visual novels and raking up experiences. It's always nice to have options ;)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW