Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law](REVAMPED-See Acquittal: Induction)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sjgriffiths
Regular
Projects: Acquittal: Induction
Organization: Procella Games
itch: procellagames

Re: Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law] [KICKSTARTER soon]

#16 Post by sjgriffiths »

Taleweaver wrote:One thing, though: For the love of all that is good and just, PLEASE get a custom font for the game text. Using the generic Ren'Py font looks really amateurish.
Hmm? Unless you're referring to a part of the UI I've somehow managed to overlook, that isn't the default Ren'Py font. Perhaps it looks similar in the lower-resolution screenshots, but in practice it certainly looks different.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#17 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Looking more closely, I can see it's definitely different.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

[quote="sjgriffiths"Not entirely sure re. a demo. If I did put one together for the campaign, it'd have to be extremely rudimentary at this early point to the extent where I'm not sure it'd be worth it at all. Certainly, one would have to keep in mind a suspension of disbelief for how a lot of the GUI and character art is simply nonexistent/placeholdered at this stage.[/quote]

Remember, you need to have a demo before you can link to your kickstarter from these forums. The purpose of this is to ensure crowdfundeees have some "skin in the game", and to let crowdfunders get a good sense of what you're funding.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

sjgriffiths
Regular

#19 Post by sjgriffiths »

PyTom wrote:
sjgriffiths wrote:Not entirely sure re. a demo. If I did put one together for the campaign, it'd have to be extremely rudimentary at this early point to the extent where I'm not sure it'd be worth it at all. Certainly, one would have to keep in mind a suspension of disbelief for how a lot of the GUI and character art is simply nonexistent/placeholdered at this stage.
Remember, you need to have a demo before you can link to your kickstarter from these forums. The purpose of this is to ensure crowdfundeees have some "skin in the game", and to let crowdfunders get a good sense of what you're funding.
Sure, I wasn't planning on linking to the campaign without a demo. I'll only link to when/if I release a demo.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#20 Post by Taleweaver »

sjgriffiths wrote:
Taleweaver wrote:One thing, though: For the love of all that is good and just, PLEASE get a custom font for the game text. Using the generic Ren'Py font looks really amateurish.
Hmm? Unless you're referring to a part of the UI I've somehow managed to overlook, that isn't the default Ren'Py font. Perhaps it looks similar in the lower-resolution screenshots, but in practice it certainly looks different.
Taking a closer look, yeah, you're right. Sorry. Then it's probably just me, that the font somehow... doesn't agree with me.

Just ignore me, 'kay? OTL
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

sjgriffiths
Regular

Re: Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law] [KICKSTARTER activ

#21 Post by sjgriffiths »

UPDATE:

The Kickstarter campaign is now active!

As per forum rules, I can't link directly to the campaign without a playable demo. However, it'd be great if you could check it out and even more super-great if you could support it - every little helps!

Thanks for all your support so far!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#22 Post by Rinima »

Dibs first pledge 8)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

sjgriffiths
Regular

#23 Post by sjgriffiths »

I'll probably be releasing some more music samples from the soundtrack in the next few days as updates :D

Thanks for the support so far - any more sharing and spreading of the word would be much appreciated!

Gospel
Regular
Completed: SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair
Projects: GENBA no Kizuna
Organization: GosatsuVNs
Tumblr: gosatsuvns
itch: gosatsuvns

#24 Post by Gospel »

I'm also a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series, so this project certainly has my attention.
It looks really interesting so far and I love the music. Definitely has that Ace Attorney vibe to it.

I'm most curious to see more characters and learn about their personalities.
The colorful, quirky and eccentric characters have always been what made the Ace Attorney series so great to me.
SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair is a murder mystery visual novel.
To learn more, click on the pic above or visit our website: http://gosatsu.com/

sjgriffiths
Regular

#25 Post by sjgriffiths »

Gospel wrote:I'm also a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series, so this project certainly has my attention.
It looks really interesting so far and I love the music. Definitely has that Ace Attorney vibe to it.

I'm most curious to see more characters and learn about their personalities.
The colorful, quirky and eccentric characters have always been what made the Ace Attorney series so great to me.
Further character design artwork will definitely be the first thing to be published with funding! There's a lot of character synopses and details I can't wait to release with corresponding aesthetics.

UPDATE:
I've got some valuable feedback from various sources. Firstly, I've tweaked the Kickstarter rewards slightly, bringing the pledge amounts down a bit to fill in some gaps.

Notably, a good number of people have suggested altering the name, i.e. dropping the 'turnabout' naming scheme altogether due to being a tad too close to Ace Attorney for comfort. I debated the use of 'turnabout' myself and this confirms my concerns, so I'll most probably revise this.

Lastly, opinion on the preview artwork has been considerably divided. While roughly half of all commentors seem dissatisfied with the quality of the art, I can't invest any more money into it without receiving funding in the first place... A form of the fundamental Kickstarter catch-22...

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#26 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Thanks for keeping us updated! I'll be sure to check out the Kickstarter. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#27 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

the designs are beautiful! wow, first of all I've played every game of the AA series and it's always been one of my many favorites. To see this is like another series and a dream come true. I like the PV because from what I see, this seems like it has nice grammar which matters in such a story and feels like it will be full of courtroom drama! I'm hoping it is enough to evoke feelings from the readers. I have high expectations -_- Anyways, this looks awesome and best of luck!
ImageImage

sjgriffiths
Regular

#28 Post by sjgriffiths »

Thanks for all the support so far! :D

The Kickstarter's been up for half a week now and while I like to stay optimistic, I've got my doubts as to its success. HOWEVER, I've gained a lot of valuable feedback already and have a very strong plan for the direction to take the project in. The project will undergo something of an overhaul, with the game itself being rebranded (title and all) and the GUI/artwork revamped, based on vital constructive criticism from the proof of concept prototyping.

Of course, this work requires funding. While I'm still adamant to spread the Kickstarter as much as possible - don't get me wrong - I'll have to prepare for unsuccessful funding. In this case, I'll open the project out to general PayPal donations for all you awesomely gracious people out there and I'll also be slaving away trying to raise my funds IRL. Hopefully, I'll eventually be able to raise enough of a budget to make these crucial changes and improvements so that I can launch a more successful crowdfunding campaign further down the line (I would've loved to save it for later in the first place if it weren't for my limited start-up capital).

Thanks again for your support! Please keep on following and promoting this project - I'll turn it into reality no matter how long it takes.

sjgriffiths
Regular

#29 Post by sjgriffiths »

We've shared a couple more tracks from the original soundtrack which you can sample below!

We're currently starting work on overhauling the branding and artwork so please keep watching and sharing this space! The feedback we've gotten from Kickstarter has been enlightening and I'm gathering more IRL funding in order to make the changes and improvements for a more complete and successful campaign.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#30 Post by Aviala »

I love the Ace Attorney series and project seems interesting, but... I get the feeling it's TOO similar to the games. There's a difference between paying homage to something and being a copycat. The music is similar, the gameplay seems similar, the characters dress like Ace Attorney characters. They yell "Objection!" and some of the poses seen in your game are almost identical to some of Phoenix's poses. Even the name of the game works just like the names of the AA cases.

The way it is, the game seems just like the AA games - but on a lower budget. I don't know if this is true since there's no demo I could test out.

Still, if you ever finish this project, I'll definitely play it!