Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law](REVAMPED-See Acquittal: Induction)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sjgriffiths
Regular
Projects: Acquittal: Induction
Organization: Procella Games
itch: procellagames

Re: Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law] [KICKSTARTER activ

#31 Post by sjgriffiths »

Aviala wrote:I love the Ace Attorney series and project seems interesting, but... I get the feeling it's TOO similar to the games. There's a difference between paying homage to something and being a copycat. The music is similar, the gameplay seems similar, the characters dress like Ace Attorney characters. They yell "Objection!" and some of the poses seen in your game are almost identical to some of Phoenix's poses. Even the name of the game works just like the names of the AA cases.

The way it is, the game seems just like the AA games - but on a lower budget. I don't know if this is true since there's no demo I could test out.

Still, if you ever finish this project, I'll definitely play it!
The plan is to move the project away from AA into a more independent state with the revamping of branding and artwork. Things like the title, artwork and music were designed with AA freshly in mind but it'll all be overhauled and developed as the project develops further.

Those initial character designs are pretty set in stone though :P Surely 'dress[ing] like Ace Attorney' is a matter of simply wearing a suit? The characters and story are the most original and fully-developed aspects now and certainly what I have the most confidence in at this point. As a point of interest, I'd originally planned to have the barristers don proper British court dress, but I felt this would hamper creativity and aesthetic characterisation so I've applied some artistic license with setting it in the near future when court dress has been phased out (an idea commonly raised IRL), along with other changes to criminal trials and investigation relevant to the story.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#32 Post by Mad Harlequin »

All other similarities aside, I can tell you right now that the act of wearing a suit, or other formal attire, in court isn't something the Ace Attorney series made up. It's standard procedure for everyone attending court proceedings. So there's absolutely no reason to worry about that.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#33 Post by Aviala »

Well, it's true that the way they dress isn't really a problem problem since suits are pretty standard in court. It's just them combined with everything else that makes the game seem too similar to the AA series. I'm glad to hear that you'll be doing some changes, and I'm excited to see what you come up with!

sjgriffiths
Regular

#34 Post by sjgriffiths »

The Kickstarter campaign's approaching its end! As expected, we're way off the target; however, we've gained the crucial feedback we were after! We're working hard on totally revamping the project based on critique, currently working on the branding and GUI, with brand new background and character artwork next on the agenda.

Thanks to anyone who supported the campaign! Please feel free to donate via PayPal while we continue work on the revamped project based on all your useful critique on the prototype version - every little counts!

We'll be eager to release updates on the revamped project. Keep watching this space - thanks for your continued support!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Applegate »

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing at least one character be old fashioned and duke it out in British court dress. Maybe I'm one of the weirdos enamoured by tradition, though.

I've been following the project for a while but deigned not to back because it felt far too similar to the AA series (as other people have said), but I also felt too little was said about the story of the game itself. We get some vague hints something's happened, but even poring through this thread and over the Kickstarter, I have no idea what actually happens. The write-up talks about an epic story, but the only hints given are that there's a cult, it involves law and order and the main character is involved. I'd be more comfortable backing if I had an inkling of what differentiates this game from Phoenix Wright; what makes this special?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#36 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Applegate wrote:I also felt too little was said about the story of the game itself. We get some vague hints something's happened, but even poring through this thread and over the Kickstarter, I have no idea what actually happens.
This was my main reason for not backing the game for now. I want to, but I'd like to know more about it before I make that kind of commitment.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

sjgriffiths
Regular

#37 Post by sjgriffiths »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
Applegate wrote:I also felt too little was said about the story of the game itself. We get some vague hints something's happened, but even poring through this thread and over the Kickstarter, I have no idea what actually happens.
This was my main reason for not backing the game for now. I want to, but I'd like to know more about it before I make that kind of commitment.
Our aim is to release the entire first chapter of the game as a demo, providing a complete introduction to the story and characters. Either way, we'll definitely release more details of the game as we work on the revamp.
Applegate wrote:Personally, I'd be interested in seeing at least one character be old fashioned and duke it out in British court dress. Maybe I'm one of the weirdos enamoured by tradition, though.
I know exactly what you mean! :lol: I can say that over the course of the series, there'll be a number of 'flashback' episodes playing as barristers before court dress was abolished, so there is a variety of visual styles shown as the narrative becomes increasingly nonlinear. This doesn't really apply to the very first game, but the overarching story of the entire series is fully planned.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#38 Post by Hijiri »

Oh, don't mind me, just passing through....
Attachments
MUI.png
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

sjgriffiths
Regular

#39 Post by sjgriffiths »

Hijiri wrote:Oh, don't mind me, just passing through....
Oh, who's this mysterious stranger...?

*spoilers* It's only our new GUI designer! A juicy first teaser for the revamp, indeed. :lol:

Gospel
Regular
Completed: SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair
Projects: GENBA no Kizuna
Organization: GosatsuVNs
Tumblr: gosatsuvns
itch: gosatsuvns

#40 Post by Gospel »

sjgriffiths wrote:The plan is to move the project away from AA into a more independent state with the revamping of branding and artwork. Things like the title, artwork and music were designed with AA freshly in mind but it'll all be overhauled and developed as the project develops further.
I love the Ace Attorney series and already liked a lot what you've been showing so far, however the decision to create more distance to AA might actually not be such a bad idea.
On the contrary, it makes me look forward to this even more, now.
It's always more interesting to see people come up with their own ideas than to stick too close to their inspiration.
I'm really curious and can't wait to see how the final product is going to look like.
I truly hope you'll be able to show off more stuff soon!
SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair is a murder mystery visual novel.
To learn more, click on the pic above or visit our website: http://gosatsu.com/

sjgriffiths
Regular

Re: Call to the Turnabout [Adventure|Law]

#41 Post by sjgriffiths »

Hi, all! It's been a while since the previous project update, but I'm just dropping in to assure everyone that the project revamp is now fully underway. The in-game GUI has been largely completed - a complete overhaul to the prototype - with system GUI, background art and character art and animation now beginning its own overhaul too.

I'll update the production credits with all the new artists once the revamp is fully rolled out. The branding of the project itself has undergone a complete revolution, so watch out for name change once the brand spanking new version of the project gets unveiled.

Lastly, I'd like to confirm that our current aim in terms of asset production is to release a free, fully-functional demo. Specifically, it should be a demo of the entire first episode of the game, out of five such episodes. This should give a complete view into the style and mechanics of the game and also provide a fantastic insight into the story and premise. Whether we'll roll out the entire first episode or the first half of it as the demo remains to be seen, but either way that's a great big chunk. We're building to a much more substantial Kickstarter campaign here!

It's starting to come together nicely. Keep watching this space!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Applegate »

I'll be setting aside a bit of money then in anticipation. EDIT: Meaning I'll be backing the Kickstarter if the demo is impressive enough. I'm still looking forward to a VN about law and justice, but I maintain that I'd like it to distinguish itself from Phoenix Wright enough not to be an elaborate fangame.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#43 Post by Rinima »

I'll be doing the same as Applegate. I actually backed the first one, so backing the 2nd will be no problem :)
Looking forward to seeing the demo!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#44 Post by octacon100 »

Good luck, I'll be keeping some money for your Kickstarter as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the AA formula!
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#45 Post by Morhighan »