[closed] Simple free Logo as CC-BY-NC-SA

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

[closed] Simple free Logo as CC-BY-NC-SA

#1 Post by Ayutac »

Hello there!

I need a simple Logo for my Pokemon Dating Sim. I'm not doing it myself because I have no experience in that kind of thing and don't want to simply use one of the limited number of fonts GIMP or InkScape have to offer on my ArchLinux. On the other hand, if I do, this happens:

(Uploadservice couldn't work with alpha channel in thumbnails)

EDIT: Because of copyright issues pointed out by other uses (also see this thread) I've decided to basically go with the image above. Rest of post is part of original post.

This is a little bit too simple. The font size besides "Pokemon" could be a little bit bigger, then a nicer font, one that is background resistant. Because I will put the logo on this game start image:
which is likely to be filled with more background characters over the years. That is basically all.

So this is something you can probably do between two "real" art tasks. Please use the Pokemon logo from here, permission is already granted.
I would prefer to have the logo as a SVG file, but a raster/normal image is totally fine too.

Dead line is the 25th of September 2014 because I want to release the next version on the 31st.

Permission/Credits/"Payment":
You won't get any money for this task, but proper credit. You agree to publish your work as CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 and give the link if you post it on deviant art or allow me to post it there (with exactly this creative common license and proper crediting of course).
Why so complicated? Because this is a fan game. We can never make money out of it (NC) and even if we don't someday Nintendo might stand at my door telling me to put it down. If that happens, I want the game to be replicatable by people by providing the raw material. And I highly doubt anyone can ever forbid fan art or fan fiction.
Last edited by Ayutac on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: [NEED] Simple free Logo as CC-BY-NC-SA

#2 Post by Asceai »

I think this task may be impossible due to the licensing requirement.

You got permission from the person that created the vector, but you did not get permission from Nintendo. Their permission is necessary if you are to relicense something that contains Nintendo's property under a CC license.

Part of the reason for a CC license is so that people who see the CC license know the rights they have and know that, by following those restrictions, they will be legally safe, but anyone using this could still be sued by Nintendo over it. They don't get the protections they should have by using CC-licensed works, hence a CC license is inappropriate.

The vector on Deviantart was not licensed under a CC license because the creator of the vector does not have the right to do so. The appropriate license for materials for a project like this is not CC-BY-NC-SA, it's 'keep your head down so you don't get sued'.

You probably don't have to worry about getting sued over this project, but you don't get to relicense stuff that Nintendo owns.

Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

Re: [NEED] Simple free Logo as CC-BY-NC-SA

#3 Post by Ayutac »

Okay, I think you have a point there. Because our copyright laws come from a time when common folk's creativity wasn't taken into consideration and this sucks. There should be exceptions for noncommercial purposes...

I often see fan work with "don't steal/use without permission" and think 'What are you gonna do, sue me? That is not your character, after all'. I'm a fan of open content, so I'm naturally going the other way and say "If you want to use it, don't be afraid, just credit the creator.", expressing this with the CC-licence. 'keep your head down so you don't get sued' [1] basically says "We all know that what you do is against the law and basically a criminal offence." [2]. Writing this I can feel the rebel in me coming up, but I'll try to stay as objective as possible. I think [2] is wrong. I have seen a lot of creativity inspired by shows and other things and THEN I found the MLP fandom. Creativity is a basic human trait that needs to be expressed (even though some are terrible at this). Additionally, there are people who create stuff for the purpose of other people becoming happy. The start of the Pokemon Dating Sim was me thinking: 'A lot of people would like to have this. This should exist. It would be fun to make this. Let's do this!' Copyright intends to protect people's ideas. I hardly see any harm to the idea by fan works (and if, it's rule 34 and nobody is doing anything against this).

So Asceai, please tell me how I can put all these feelings into a copyright note without using a CC-licence or [1].
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)