Artist/Writer looking to lend his skills

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Artist/Writer looking to lend his skills

#1 Post by kmsgameboy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:45 am

Hello everyone. I just stubbled upon this site while I was looking for some cool free games to play and must say I am impressed with some of the games I have found. I have always wanted to make a game like this. I have actually worked with people before to make some games but never a visual naval or dating sim. I would like to offer my skills to anyone who is looking for a writer or artist. I love to write and currently have some ideas that would make very good games, I am also very good (and FAST) at coming up with new ideas for any genre. (Sci-fi, fantasy, action, dating, adventure, fighting, racing, sim....the list goes on.) In addition to my story writing skills I am also a fairly good artist and am pretty handy at photo editing also. So if anyone needs an artist for a project or is fresh out of ideas and needs a writer for a game please email or message me I would be glad to lend a hand. (Right now I am pretty busy it being the holiday season and all so I would most likely have more time to write than to draw, but drop a line either way.)

Also I am looking for more great free games to try out, what are some suggestions you might have.
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

burnout02urza
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:05 am
Contact:

#2 Post by burnout02urza » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:20 am

Hey, great!

I'm working on this game called 'The Witness', and I would like some help with writing certain parts of the script (I'm good at writing fight scenes, but not the ren'ai scenes) I also can't draw well, and it would be nice to see someone else's opinion of how my project's going.

Please drop me a line a burnout02urza@yahoo.com

User avatar
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:03 am
itch: atpprojects
Contact:

#3 Post by mikey » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:11 am

It'd be nice to see some of your work, if you have a website with stories and drawings. It's always good to include some sort of "portfolio" or so. Personally, when I contact someone, I don't want to tell him to send me a sample, it wouldn't feel right (and should the syle not fit I'd have to tell him no, that would be even worse), so I'd rather see some samples and decide in quiet. Just a suggestion. :)

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#4 Post by kmsgameboy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:37 pm

mikey wrote:It'd be nice to see some of your work, if you have a website with stories and drawings. It's always good to include some sort of "portfolio" or so. Personally, when I contact someone, I don't want to tell him to send me a sample, it wouldn't feel right (and should the syle not fit I'd have to tell him no, that would be even worse), so I'd rather see some samples and decide in quiet. Just a suggestion. :)
yeah i have thought about doing something like that, but right now i realy dont have much on my computer. all the art work i have scanned is a good 3-4 years old. i hope to get some new game concepts typed out tonight though so maybe i can post them up on here.
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#5 Post by kmsgameboy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:32 pm

I just got finished adding some CG touches to a drawing I did to give everyone an example of my work. This is only the second drawing I have colored using my computer so it may not be the best. I will try to post the original also and when I get some time I may post some story ideas. http://img43.exs.cx/img43/8451/maysmall1ci.jpg
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#6 Post by kmsgameboy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:44 pm

here is the origenal black and white drawing

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/6696/maybw0tc.jpg
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Posts: 15476
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:58 am
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom
Location: Kings Park, NY
Contact:

#7 Post by PyTom » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:56 pm

kmsgameboy wrote:I just got finished adding some CG touches to a drawing I did to give everyone an example of my work. This is only the second drawing I have colored using my computer so it may not be the best. I will try to post the original also and when I get some time I may post some story ideas. http://img43.exs.cx/img43/8451/maysmall1ci.jpg
One of the conventions in anime and manga is to draw a solid iris, without a pupil or reflections, on characters that are dead, mind-controlled, or otherwise out of it. Your drawing is missing the pupil and reflections, so at least for me it gives a weird vibe to the picture, without any comment on its quality.

RedSlash
Veteran
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:48 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#8 Post by RedSlash » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:20 pm

I think the background makes the character hard to see because of its bright purply colour contrasted with the blue on the character.

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#9 Post by kmsgameboy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:50 am

PyTom wrote:
kmsgameboy wrote:I just got finished adding some CG touches to a drawing I did to give everyone an example of my work. This is only the second drawing I have colored using my computer so it may not be the best. I will try to post the original also and when I get some time I may post some story ideas. http://img43.exs.cx/img43/8451/maysmall1ci.jpg
One of the conventions in anime and manga is to draw a solid iris, without a pupil or reflections, on characters that are dead, mind-controlled, or otherwise out of it. Your drawing is missing the pupil and reflections, so at least for me it gives a weird vibe to the picture, without any comment on its quality.
normaly i would draw a pupil, but since i knew i was going to color it on my computer i didnt. if you look at the color version you can see i did a light indication of a pupil. however, im not really happy with the color job i did. if anyone would like to take a shot with my drawing and post it, it may help me out. im good at photo editing, but i still have lots to learn with adding color to drawings. (also might help if i had paint shop :cry:)
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
Tage
Regular
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:18 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Contact:

#10 Post by Tage » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:00 am

If you don't mind a little helping suggestions, I've got a few. By no way am I trying to be rude. :)

If you plan on getting real good at drawing AND coloring, my suggestion is to perfect drawing first. Worrying about coloring in the early stages only holds your drawing skills back. I recommend perfecting proportions before anything else. Then start perfecting your drawing. Then once you get good at drawing, then start working on shading. (but still work on drawing too) After you master drawing and shading, then start working on clothes. After you get good at clothing, THEN do colors, lol. I'm in the 1/2 stage of drawing, and 1/4th of shading. (and I'm still flaky with proportions) I've tried coloring...and it turned out that my awful drawing was still just an awful drawing (with colors now though), lol.

I wasn't implying any particular stage that I think you're in. I think you're pretty good, actually. You be the judge on that yourself if you decide to follow some of my suggestions.

Another thing that helps a lot is just trying to replicate other drawings. Like comics or something.

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#11 Post by kmsgameboy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:47 am

Tage wrote:If you don't mind a little helping suggestions, I've got a few. By no way am I trying to be rude. :)

If you plan on getting real good at drawing AND coloring, my suggestion is to perfect drawing first. Worrying about coloring in the early stages only holds your drawing skills back. I recommend perfecting proportions before anything else. Then start perfecting your drawing. Then once you get good at drawing, then start working on shading. (but still work on drawing too) After you master drawing and shading, then start working on clothes. After you get good at clothing, THEN do colors, lol. I'm in the 1/2 stage of drawing, and 1/4th of shading. (and I'm still flaky with proportions) I've tried coloring...and it turned out that my awful drawing was still just an awful drawing (with colors now though), lol.

I wasn't implying any particular stage that I think you're in. I think you're pretty good, actually. You be the judge on that yourself if you decide to follow some of my suggestions.

Another thing that helps a lot is just trying to replicate other drawings. Like comics or something.
thanks for the tips man. i cant say for sure what stage im in. i know that i have done work better than this....but it has been a long time since i had sat down with a pencil and paper and did anything. i agree with you on the coloring though. i just thought i would give it a shot. i think i do pretty good on shading and proportions. to give an example i will post another work i did. it is colored but all the shading was done with pencil.

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/8024/finishedhand1ky.jpg
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
LiX
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

#12 Post by LiX » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:57 am

Woah. That ring looks really awsome it reminds me of "The Lord Of The Rings". It has an awsome falling fealing to it.

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#13 Post by kmsgameboy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:00 am

LiX wrote:Woah. That ring looks really awsome it reminds me of "The Lord Of The Rings". It has an awsome falling fealing to it.
thanks! this was actualy my first time at coloring anything. i did this drawing about 2-3 years ago and added the color a few months ago. and actualy i did get the whole idea of a hand and a ring from lord of the rings :P
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#14 Post by kmsgameboy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:41 am

Ok here we go, I finally got around to typing out one of my game ideas. This should give you a little example of my work. If you like it just ask me and I will let you use it and I will also write out the rest of the story and a script out for you. All I ask in return is that I receive the proper credit and that my name be listed in the game’s credits. I also have two other ideas at the moment that I will be typing out. I am very good at story writing so if anyone would like me to write you up an original idea for a game just give me a genre and I will get it right to you.

Summer Exchange

A Game Concept by: Jayson Davis

In this game you play as a senior high school student. The game begins on your last day of classes at Mountain Springs High School. To help students pass the long summer days your school has just introduced a “Summer Exchange” program. This allows students from different towns all across the country to exchange homes for two whole weeks for fun and adventure. Unfortunately, you got to the sign-up sheet late and there was only one space open; Spring Valley, a small sea side town only a few hours away. Disappointed at your lack of selection, you reluctantly go ahead and sign up for the exchange. Hey, at least you wont have to worry about wasting the whole summer in front of the TV watching re-runs! Time passes and finally it is time to go to Spring Valley. The summer is now half way over and nothing of much interest has happened. No matter how small or boring this town is your summer really cant get much worse, can it? So you pack your bags and board the bus for Spring Valley, looking forward to the change in scenery. Upon your arrival you are welcomed by the Nakamura family. Your first impression of your new family was not a good one. They seem strict, serious, and very, VERY dull. Even worse, they are going to make you work in there shop! The only positive side is they do have a very cute daughter and while working at their gift shop you did meet a lot of other cute girls your age. When you get home that night, not only are you tired from work and your trip but you now find out where you have to sleep...the attic. You are handed your bags, pushed up the stairs without any supper, and the door is shut and locked. It looks like you were wrong...your summer could get worse! Just then laughter began to explode from behind the door. Mr. Nakamura flings it open, his face red with laughter. It turns out the whole family was giving you a hard time as a sort of “right to passage” ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Nakamura then inform you that they are very easy going and that they will give you your space and privacy as a young adult. You can come and go as you please, stay in their guest house and do whatever you like, as long as you still help then in the shop. This is where your REAL adventure begins!
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

User avatar
kmsgameboy
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

#15 Post by kmsgameboy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:13 am

Yet another game concept...I have the same rules for it as I do my other one. Let me know what you think!

Dream Land Saga

A Game Concept by: Jayson Davis

In this game you play the role of an average everyday looser. You are in the middle of your 3rd year of high school and things are not going well. One day after being humiliated in font in front of some of the cutest girls in school, you go home with only one wish; to get away from this world. You long to be free from the chains of reality that bind you to your miserable existence. You want a simple carefree life. A life like in your favorite SuperGameStationX game “Last Aspiration 10”. However, it seems futile. No matter what you do, things never change. Depressed to nearly a zombie like state you decide to go out side and lay under the stars. As you lie down a shooting star streams acrossed the dark night sky. You wonder if it is really true; can you get your heart’s desire by wishing on a shooting star? Closing your eyes you wish with all your might. “I wish I was in another world, a world were dreams come true.” Suddenly, you start feeling sleepy. You try to open your eyes but only manage to get a small glimpse of the starry night sky before falling fast asleep. Next thing you know you open your eyes to find yourself in the company of a beautiful young woman. She explains to you that she is “The Emperis of Dreams” and that she is there to make your dreams come true. You look around and find that you are no longer in your back yard, but on a grassy hill in the middle of an huge green meadow. The Emperis explains to you that in this realm you can have whatever you want, and anything can happen. You are then presented with a strange five handed watch, and told that when all the hands on the watch reach 12, your time will be up and you will have to make a decision...stay in Dream Land, or return home. You are also warned that in this land there live many Dream Maidens; beautiful women, of whom you may take as your true love. However, if you should share a kiss with any one of them, you will have to spend eternity with her in Dream Land, so think carefully. With this The Emperis of Dreams disappears and you are all alone. It is now that your journey begins.
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users