BiMonthly Drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

#91 Post by sasquatchii »

@crestforge
I LOVE IT! A horse/wild west dating sim really needs to happen.

Also, here's mine- I wanted to experiment with the gradient mesh tool in illustrator and see how rocks would turn out!
Attachments
wildwest.jpg
ImageImage

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#92 Post by akemicchi »

@ chocojax
Come join this week! :D

@crestforge
oh my gosh that 'anoneigh' lmfao I just
I'm really digging the brush you're using by the way! *u*

@sasquatchii
Wow, the texture of the rocks looks awesome! Very nice!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#93 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

How did I miss this thread for so long?! I only saw it for the first time last week. I wanted to submit an outer-space picture, but because of work I never got past the thumbnail planning stage. But I could NOT pass up a Wild West theme!

Without further ado, I present "Cards at High Noon". I like to imagine that our infamous young outlaw Bonnie (along with her side-kick teddy bear) has been tracked down in a saloon by a marshal, and a deal is struck - one hand of cards, and if the marshal wins, Bonnie comes quietly. If not .... (I like that she has kind of a nervous, derpy-face in her wanted poster, but looks so confident at the table.)

I also thought the picture looked really cool without colors and just shading, so I'm showing that too.

I've also decided cowboy hats are my mortal enemy. They took way too many redraws to look right. :roll:

@Yokura: I think your cowgirl and mine could star in an anime together! Love the foreshortening.

@BarabiSama: Very colorful!

@akemicchi: Very nice. I love the relaxed pose.

@crestforge: I like the brush work - and the world needs a dating sim with horses. Why let pigeons have all the fun?

@sasquatchii: All those gradients were done with vector? How long did that take?

And I know we are still a few hours short of the next week (so keep posting those Wild West pictures if you've got them!) but I figured I'd propose next week's topic: PRE-HISTORIC! Cavemen, dinosaurs, whatever! Interpret it how you wish! What say everybody?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#94 Post by chocojax »

akemicchi wrote:@ chocojax
Come join this week! :D
I'll try, yo!

I don't know how draw animinals
Attachments
2014082404.png

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#95 Post by sasquatchii »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:@sasquatchii: All those gradients were done with vector? How long did that take?

And I know we are still a few hours short of the next week (so keep posting those Wild West pictures if you've got them!) but I figured I'd propose next week's topic: PRE-HISTORIC! Cavemen, dinosaurs, whatever! Interpret it how you wish! What say everybody?
Yup yup! All vectors. It took four hours, I think? I'm not crazy about how it turned out, but it was neat to play with shapes and colors!

Also, I absolutely love your art style!! Bang bang bonnie is so awesome, I wish she was a character in a comic or VN!!
ImageImage

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#96 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

sasquatchii wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:@sasquatchii: All those gradients were done with vector? How long did that take?

Yup yup! All vectors. It took four hours, I think? I'm not crazy about how it turned out, but it was neat to play with shapes and colors!
Wow. Well, it comes together quite nice. I really love the use of space in your picture, and looking at it full screen in vector really emphasizes that. And I feel good to know I'm not the only one spending a lot of time on my weekly drawing - it took approximately 6 hours total to bring Bonnie's card game to life.

I used to work a lot in vector myself, but I never seemed to need to really resize anything too much. Now I just work in raster, but BIG. The original of the picture I posted is a large poster size.
sasquatchii wrote:Also, I absolutely love your art style!! Bang bang bonnie is so awesome, I wish she was a character in a comic or VN!!
Thanks so much! I like your designs in your thread for your VN. As for Bonnie, like I said, she stars in a very wacky Western anime in my head (her teddy bear gang bungles most jobs, leaving them poor again at the end of each episode :lol: ). Maybe I'll draw more of her in the future.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#97 Post by sasquatchii »

Quick & dirty drawing of a dinosaur + his human friend!

Did anyone else watch Jurassic Park or read Dinotopia when they were a kid and desperately wish that dinosaurs were real?

I was that kid >:)

Also I love how anatomically awesome yet silly T-rexes are. THEIR LITTLE ARMS ARE PRECIOUS<3
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
ImageImage

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#98 Post by Duskylli »

boop boop cadoop
Attachments
Prehistoric.jpg

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#99 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

sasquatchii wrote:Quick & dirty drawing of a dinosaur + his human friend! Also I love how anatomically awesome yet silly T-rexes are. THEIR LITTLE ARMS ARE PRECIOUS<3
So cute, sasquatchii. I agree. T-Rexes are hilariously proportioned. Love the cute design.
sasquatchii wrote: Did anyone else watch Jurassic Park or read Dinotopia when they were a kid and desperately wish that dinosaurs were real?

I was that kid >:)
Jurassic Park AND Dinotopia had that effect on you? Jurassic Park had rather the opposite effect on me. The raptors were terrifying. Plus, I go to the museum now and stand next to the skeletons of dinosaurs like Giganotosaurus (think a bigger and badder T-Rex) and I am really glad they don't still roam the wild.
Duskylli wrote:boop boop cadoop
Haha. Nice. Like the watercolors. And the Doctor Who reference. :wink:

I'm going to have to work hard to get my weekly submission done!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#100 Post by sasquatchii »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: So cute, sasquatchii. I agree. T-Rexes are hilariously proportioned. Love the cute design.

Jurassic Park AND Dinotopia had that effect on you? Jurassic Park had rather the opposite effect on me. The raptors were terrifying. Plus, I go to the museum now and stand next to the skeletons of dinosaurs like Giganotosaurus (think a bigger and badder T-Rex) and I am really glad they don't still roam the wild.

I'm going to have to work hard to get my weekly submission done!
Thank you!

And yeah.. I was a weird kid. I remember watching the scene in the lab where they're hatching velociraptors and thinking how awesome it would be to raise one. (5 year olds don't consider the consequences of owning terrifying/wild animals as pets). Although Jurassic park scared me pretty badly too (I thought the T-rex eating the lawyer was the worst!) but it wasn't enough to phase me since I was pretty obsessed with dinosaurs at that time.

Also just googled gigantosaurus- that is super awesome! I had no idea another dinosaur that looked like the tyrannosaurus existed :)

Good luck on your weekly submission! I'm looking forward to it, your art is eye candy & very inspirational to me.
ImageImage

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#101 Post by sendo »

*sneaks in, I'm glad some people found the Horse mockup funny aha xP*

@sasquatchii - As a kid I loved dinosaurs too and I even dreamed of riding them! Back then I thought T-rexes were dragons because I didn't know the difference ahaha xP. And awww your entry is really cute!

@Duskyli - Ohh watercolors, I like!

@LateWhiteRabbit - Can't wait to see your entry man. Your cowboy drawing was cool!

Aaaand another late submission. I went with a docile creature for this week and it's totally not inspired by some Ice Age movie out there. For those curious about the brush I use, it's an angled flat brush in SAI. I posted a link for the BMP file in my Sketchbook thread but here it is for those interested. But for this piece I used a combination of Hair, Hard round, Soft round, and Angled flat brushes.
Attachments
mammoth.jpg
Finished VNs:
Image Image

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#102 Post by unknown5 »

man, i really admire the love and dedication you guys have to drawing. i'm too much of a dilettante.

edit: i have no idea what i doodled. sea monster crocodile thingy. dunno.

information wants to be free, yo.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#103 Post by Duskylli »

@sasquatchii- the lawyer bit is the only thing I can remember from Jurassic park O.O Oh and I don't know why but your t rex's nose is really cute.

@LWR- Thanks! Its actually acryllics. Are you watching the new season too?

@Crestforge- Thankyou! Nice mammoth! Looks majestic. Its always interesting to read about techniques and what brushes other artists use. I think I'm boring and just use the same brush for everything xD

@unknown5- I still don't believe that you're a dilettante :p The sea monster, crocodile thing is pretty cool. It looks like its licking the screen xD

Hmm to keep the ball rolling I choose FAIRY TALES for the next theme. Could be grimm, could be role reversal could be anything.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#104 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I'm late! So embarrassing since I actually proposed the topic! But at least I'm true to my name.

I call it "Buyer's Remorse." There is a bigger version on my DeviantArt page. (I've had a DeviantArt page for SIX years :shock: and only recently started using it for my Lemmasoft drawings I've done.)

Because dinosaurs and sexy cave women are fun to draw. And yes, I know dinosaur feathers didn't actually look like that, but this is funnier. :mrgreen: Pro-tip for those keeping up at home: When you are strapped for time, don't choose a composition with lots of jungle foliage and feathers! And I still don't know how I feel about feathered dinosaurs, it sort of feels like a betrayal of my childhood. T-Rex wasn't even standing right when I was kid - even in the museums! But I'll strive for scientific accuracy! Feathers it is! What do you mean people didn't live with dinosaurs? That's no fun....

@Crestforge: Like the mammoth. Love the atmospheric fogging going on around its legs.
sasquatchii wrote: Good luck on your weekly submission! I'm looking forward to it, your art is eye candy & very inspirational to me.
Thanks. I hope the end result met expectations! So...many...feathers. And leaves. And the inking is pretty slapdash - but that's why I work so large! When I shrink it for print or posting, no one can tell! Bwahaha!
Duskylli wrote: @LWR- Thanks! Its actually acryllics. Are you watching the new season too?
Oh, yes. I am an American Whovian. Really liking Capaldi in the role so far.

And I would have sworn that was watercolor. Is it gouache acrylics?
Duskylli wrote: Hmm to keep the ball rolling I choose FAIRY TALES for the next theme. Could be grimm, could be role reversal could be anything.
Excellent! I was hoping someone who post a new topic. Sounds like a good one. Let's see if I can submit on time this week!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#105 Post by chocojax »

Duskylli wrote:Hmm to keep the ball rolling I choose FAIRY TALES for the next theme. Could be grimm, could be role reversal could be anything.
Awww sheeeeeeeeet. It's a bit gorey, so linked in case anyone's squeamish.

(It's also Hansel and Gretel, if you didn't know! Another version of it, at least.)