Artist/Writer looking to lend his skills

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

kmsgameboy wrote:Ok here we go, I finally got around to typing out one of my game ideas. This should give you a little example of my work. If you like it just ask me and I will let you use it and I will also write out the rest of the story and a script out for you.
Hm... You seem to be capable of drawing character art, from what I've seen, and you also are able to write stories and scripts. These are the two main skills required to be able to make your own game.

There are three other disciplines required to make a visual novel game: programming, background art, and music. But these three parts are less important. Programming is largely a solved problem, with the exisitence of pre-made game engines and people who can help you use them. Background art can be simplified by using photographic backgrounds, as in TOL1 and the various ATP games. Music can be automatically composed, or perhaps even omitted.

So, given that you have a number of original ideas, story-writing skill, and art ability, why are you looking to others for approval rather than simply creating your own game?

kmsgameboy
Regular

#17 Post by kmsgameboy »

PyTom wrote:Hm... You seem to be capable of drawing character art, from what I've seen, and you also are able to write stories and scripts. These are the two main skills required to be able to make your own game.

There are three other disciplines required to make a visual novel game: programming, background art, and music. But these three parts are less important. Programming is largely a solved problem, with the exisitence of pre-made game engines and people who can help you use them. Background art can be simplified by using photographic backgrounds, as in TOL1 and the various ATP games. Music can be automatically composed, or perhaps even omitted.

So, given that you have a number of original ideas, story-writing skill, and art ability, why are you looking to others for approval rather than simply creating your own game?
Lol, funny you say this. And actually I can also do backgrounds also! :P So yes, I could probably make my own game. However, I have tried programming before and never had much luck with it. It is all just to tedious for me and I can never stick with it very long with out getting super frustrated ( I don’t have a very mathematical mind so when I make an error some where I never can find it. :( ). I have also tried to use some of the pre-made game engines out there like Game Maker, Flash, RPG Tool kit, and some others. But I just don’t have the time to learn how to learn how to competently use the them and then do all the game by my self. So I guess the whole reason Im posting is because I am looking for some people to partner up with just to make a game or two. I have always wanted to make a Visual Novel, just time and patients hasn’t allowed it. So...maybe I should make a post entitled “Looking for some partners to help make a Visual Novel”???
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#18 Post by Sai »

Or just specify "Looking for a programmer"
A musician would be good too but you can use music mixing software if needs be. Naturally not as good as a real composer but it's something.

I'm not very technically minded either but I decided to learn some programming because it is really useful for bringing your creations to life in an interactive way. You should check out the RenPy section of this forum. RenPy is a ren'ai engine designed so that people who aren't so tech-savvy can still create a visual novel game. It does this by replacing code with english alerternatives e.g.

In Lingo, I would probably have to do this to make my image of a girl appear in the center of the screen and say Hello.

Code: Select all

global sandraTalk
member("sandra").visible=true 
member("sandra").rect=rect(277,16,89,100)
member("dialogue").text=sandraTalk.hello
In RenPy it probably would be

show sandra in center
sandra: "Hello"
Which is simpler.
I haven't used RenPy yet, but that's the gist of what it's about I gather.

And if you ever have any problems. PyTom is extremely helpful.

Good luck.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#19 Post by PyTom »

Warning: This post contains a gratuitous Ren'Py promo. It just kinda turned into that.

Have you considered using my Ren'Py language and engine (http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/)? Unlike some of the more general-purpose programming languages you mentioned, Ren'Py is intended for writing visual novels. I designed the language keeping in mind the idea of an executable script... that it should be about the same amount of work to make a working game as it is to type the script for the game into the computer.

A Ren'Py script looks as follows.

label start:

scene room
show katie happy

k "Hi, and welcome to my game."

k "I'll cut to the chase... do you want a good ending or 
   a bad ending?"

menu:
  "A good ending.":
    k "Of course. Everyone wants a good ending."

k "So, we get together and live happily ever after, or 
       something like that."

"A bad ending.":
    show katie mad

k "What sort of masochist wants a bad ending?"

k "Well, you got it, buddy."

"The end."
You can see how the representation of script lines and menus is roughly what you'd type yourself if you're typing the script into a computer. The indentation does matter a little, to distinguish one menu item from another.

Of course, this script won't run standalone. Ren'Py needs a few declarations to know about the k character, and the katie happy, katie mad, and room images.

init:
  $ k = Character("Katie Mascot")
  image room = Image("room.jpg")
  image katie happy = Image("katie_happy.png")
  image katie mad = Image("katie_mad.png')
And that's a complete Ren'Py game right there. The only programming is that last part, and you can think of it as a bunch of boilerplate to be copied and pasted, rather than actual programming.

Anyway, if you have any questions, let me know, or ask on the Ren'Py forum. If you can write the script and art, a number of people (including myself) would be happy to help you get the actual program working.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#20 Post by PyTom »

Sai wrote:

show sandra in center
sandra: "Hello"
Close. It's actually:

show sandra at center
sandra "Hello"
And thanks for the kind words.

Tage
Regular

#21 Post by Tage »

Hey, I'll recommend Ren'Py too. I'm using it... n.n PyTom is extremely helpful when you ask for help too; so that is a really big help. :D If you still cannot manage it, I could try teaming up with you as a programmer... I've never teamed up with anyone before though. o.o; So it could be doomed to fail, lol.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#22 Post by kmsgameboy »

Hey Sai, PyTom and Tage, thanks a bunch you guys. This sounds great. I will try to play around with it some tonight and let you know if I need some help.

Show kmsgameboy happy

k "Hi, I am happy! Now I can make a game!"
YAY! :mrgreen:
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI

kmsgameboy
Regular

#23 Post by kmsgameboy »

just finished another drawing. i thought i would post it for fun. the style is quite different than my other drawing. let me know what you all think.

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9710/kat6wo.png
-Shadow FFVI

RedSlash
Veteran

#24 Post by RedSlash »

I think it is much more improved than your last one! You have given it more detail, which is good. Nice job.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#25 Post by kmsgameboy »

RedSlash wrote:I think it is much more improved than your last one! You have given it more detail, which is good. Nice job.
why thank you! the fist pic i was realy going for the simple anime look...kind os like what you would see in a children's anime. but this one i did with a game in mind. so i added a lot more detail.....now all i have to do is figure out how to get it colored. (colored WELL anyway!)
-Shadow FFVI

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#26 Post by rioka »

Hey kms,

This is definitely an improvement from your earlier drawing. Way to go!
Aside from some anatomical improvements the only major thing that caught my eye is her shorts - it looks like a skirt. I suggest you stagger the end of the shorts so it doesn't look like they run in one whole length. If you did draw a skirt (whoops <.<'), the wrinkles at the crotch aren't the proper ones to use. Draw the whole length of the lines from one thigh to another.

Btw, nothing beats practicing when it comes to CGing. =)

kmsgameboy
Regular

#27 Post by kmsgameboy »

thanks eclipse, those are some good tips. i see what your saying about the wrinkles. im working on another drawing right now thats better than this one. i will post it as soon as im done.
-Shadow FFVI