BiMonthly Drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

#106 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

chocojax wrote:
Duskylli wrote:Hmm to keep the ball rolling I choose FAIRY TALES for the next theme. Could be grimm, could be role reversal could be anything.
Awww sheeeeeeeeet. It's a bit gorey, so linked in case anyone's squeamish.

(It's also Hansel and Gretel, if you didn't know! Another version of it, at least.)
Wait. There's a version of Hansel and Gretel where they eat the witch? :shock: Or is that supposed to be the witch?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#107 Post by chocojax »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
chocojax wrote:
Duskylli wrote:Hmm to keep the ball rolling I choose FAIRY TALES for the next theme. Could be grimm, could be role reversal could be anything.
Awww sheeeeeeeeet. It's a bit gorey, so linked in case anyone's squeamish.

(It's also Hansel and Gretel, if you didn't know! Another version of it, at least.)
Wait. There's a version of Hansel and Gretel where they eat the witch? :shock: Or is that supposed to be the witch?
I used to read a version where (if I remember correctly) the witch forced Gretel to eat Hansel's eyes in order to get some sort of cat magic eye. :lol:

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#108 Post by unknown5 »

om nom nom
information wants to be free, yo.

Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

#109 Post by Railgun »

This thread motivates me!

Plus I'm into fairy tales, lately (or rather modified versions of classic fairy tales). So here's a little piece inspired by Dragon Fin Soup and AC: Black Flag, although I haven't played either x)
Attachments
RedHood07.jpg

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#110 Post by sasquatchii »

@latewhiterabbit: HOLY CRAP THAT IS SO AWESOME<3 And both of their expressions just make it! Especially the dinosaur's :)

@unknown5: I like it! Your style gives it this eerie yet magical feel which is nice :)

@Railgun: Whoo hoo! Another Little Red Riding Hood! Although yours looks a lot more dangerous than mine :3 Nice work!

And here's my submission, it took me waay too long and I really want to improve my coloring! (If anyone knows any good coloring tutorials please let me know)
I was inspired by TellTale's Fable game series, The Wolf Among Us. Has one else here played it? It is a point & click detective type game (I could even argue is it a visual novel, but that's a whole nother can of worms not suitable for this thread) that takes classic fairy tales and puts its own modern spin on them. It's phenomenal & anyone who hasn't played it yet should go buy it right now.

Haven't you ever wondered why they call her Little Red Riding Hood? The tales are wrong, the wolf is not her foe! He's actually her best friend, the one who saved her from the huntsman.
Attachments
littleredridinghood4.jpg
ImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#111 Post by Mad Harlequin »

sasquatchii wrote:And here's my submission, it took me waay too long and I really want to improve my coloring! (If anyone knows any good coloring tutorials please let me know)
I was inspired by TellTale's Fable game series, The Wolf Among Us. Has one else here played it? It is a point & click detective type game (I could even argue is it a visual novel, but that's a whole nother can of worms not suitable for this thread) that takes classic fairy tales and puts its own modern spin on them. It's phenomenal & anyone who hasn't played it yet should go buy it right now.
I love The Wolf Among Us! I still need to pick up Bill Willingham's Fables comics, though!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#112 Post by sasquatchii »

Mad Harlequin wrote:I love The Wolf Among Us! I still need to pick up Bill Willingham's Fables comics, though!
Yay!! Another wolf among us fan :D

I saw some of the fables comics at my local bookstore and they looked really good! Unfortunately at the moment I have a huge backlog of books waiting to be read and so I didn't buy them :(
But i've heard only good things so far!
ImageImage

Railgun
Regular

#113 Post by Railgun »

sasquatchii wrote: And here's my submission, it took me waay too long and I really want to improve my coloring! (If anyone knows any good coloring tutorials please let me know)

Haven't you ever wondered why they call her Little Red Riding Hood? The tales are wrong, the wolf is not her foe! He's actually her best friend, the one who saved her from the huntsman.
Thanks! I've heard of The Wolf Among Us, since there's some huge fans of Bigby in my class XD
Your drawing is nice and yeah, you could add a little more colors to it :)

By the way, for coloring tuts, there's this master tutorial that is my all time reference: http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html
But for a shorter version, there's this nice one: http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625

Also, it helps if you also do 3D because of the way light and colors are linked (you could look up "radiosity", "global illumination", "bounce light").
Oh and don't forget to check out Jeremy Vickery, who worked as a lead lighter at Pixar. His turorials "Efficient Cinematic Lighting" and "Practice Light and Color" will simply blow your mind ^^ (it's actually not free, but I'm pretty sure you can find a workaround ;) And if not, pm me)
If you like art history, here's another Gnomon Workshop tutorial by Richard Keyes about colors used by painters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErNasMLHr7I
Last but not least, it will really improve your digital skills in general if you practice traditional art like painting or sculpting (no need to buy the expensive stuff)!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#114 Post by sasquatchii »

Railgun wrote:By the way, for coloring tuts, there's this master tutorial that is my all time reference: http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html
But for a shorter version, there's this nice one: http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625

Also, it helps if you also do 3D because of the way light and colors are linked (you could look up "radiosity", "global illumination", "bounce light").
Oh and don't forget to check out Jeremy Vickery, who worked as a lead lighter at Pixar. His turorials "Efficient Cinematic Lighting" and "Practice Light and Color" will simply blow your mind ^^ (it's actually not free, but I'm pretty sure you can find a workaround ;) And if not, pm me)
If you like art history, here's another Gnomon Workshop tutorial by Richard Keyes about colors used by painters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErNasMLHr7I
Last but not least, it will really improve your digital skills in general if you practice traditional art like painting or sculpting (no need to buy the expensive stuff)!
These are amazing and super helpful!! I can't wait until later today to mess around in photoshop to try everything out :D
Thank you!
ImageImage

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#115 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Railgun wrote: Oh and don't forget to check out Jeremy Vickery, who worked as a lead lighter at Pixar. His turorials "Efficient Cinematic Lighting" and "Practice Light and Color" will simply blow your mind ^^
Seconded. His Gnomon Workshop video on Efficient Cinematic Lighting is incredible. I used his tips to light AND render a team project scene back in college. We didn't have time to texture any of our 3D environment, and it took the professor 15 minutes of critiquing it to realize everything was still a flat gray model - all because of the awesome lighting. We were on a deadline, and never could have rendered accurate lighting the traditional way in-time. The team lost points for no textures, but I got extra points for my lighting! (Thanks, Jeremy Vickery!) With some practice you can adapt his methods to any modeling program, not just Maya.

And yes, sculpting and 3D modeling really help your illustration skills, because you are familiar of thinking of objects 'in the round' with volume.

Kohaku
Regular

#116 Post by Kohaku »

woohoo! made it in time :)

hope this qualifies.
Attachments
fantasy land.jpg

Railgun
Regular

#117 Post by Railgun »

@sasquatchii, I can hardly wait to see what you'll make of it :D

@LateWhiteRabbit, Quite a story there, that's wonderful! And your drawing with vectors...it's crazy :shock:

@Kohaku, nice atmosphere!

Well, since no one has announced this week's subject yet, how about Faithful Battle Steed?
This thread reminds me a lot of Facebook's "Daily Spitpainting" group, by the way!

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#118 Post by Duskylli »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Duskylli wrote: @LWR- Thanks! Its actually acryllics. Are you watching the new season too?
Oh, yes. I am an American Whovian. Really liking Capaldi in the role so far.

And I would have sworn that was watercolor. Is it gouache acrylics?
Yeah Capaldi is great. Its funny when he just insults Clara.

Nope its these acrylics Maybe it looks matt because I overdose on water?? They're really old too.
chocojax wrote: I used to read a version where (if I remember correctly) the witch forced Gretel to eat Hansel's eyes in order to get some sort of cat magic eye. :lol:
Haha OMG then what happens? And I've just realised how ridiculous fairytales are when you try and explain them.

@Railgun- Really liking the colour scheme :3 I might check out those tutorials too. At the moment lighting and colouring is just an afterthought for me. Thanks for the links.
@Kohaku- Yay more Kohaku stuff! I like the suttle merge between the deep, dark and dead forest and the bright side.
Railgun wrote:
Well, since no one has announced this week's subject yet, how about Faithful Battle Steed?
Sounds fun xD
Attachments
This is too small to paint!!! Might do it digital...one day...
This is too small to paint!!! Might do it digital...one day...
1.png

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#119 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Railgun wrote: @LateWhiteRabbit, Quite a story there, that's wonderful! And your drawing with vectors...it's crazy :shock:

Thanks! But I don't work in vectors usually. The two pictures in this thread are both raster - it's just that the originals are huge. I usually work in 11x17 (or close to it, depending on composition) at 600 DPI, meaning I could print a full size movie poster of any of my pictures if so inclined! I used some vectors for my avatar, but it was more of an experiment with Illustrator's Live Trace to see if it could speed up my inking time. (Answer: Not really.)

Great pictures this week everybody! Love all the painterly stuff, and it seems Red Riding Hood is a favorite subject. No picture from me this week, I'm afraid. Too much came up with work. (I would have done a Red Riding Hood too.....)

I will attempt to get a submission for Faithful Battle Steed in! Don't just resubmit this week's picture Sasquatchii! :lol:

Railgun
Regular

#120 Post by Railgun »

@Duskylli, np. Nice drawing btw and yes, you should work on a bigger format, it'll be easier :D
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Thanks! But I don't work in vectors usually. The two pictures in this thread are both raster - it's just that the originals are huge. I usually work in 11x17 (or close to it, depending on composition) at 600 DPI, meaning I could print a full size movie poster of any of my pictures if so inclined! I used some vectors for my avatar, but it was more of an experiment with Illustrator's Live Trace to see if it could speed up my inking time. (Answer: Not really.)
Oh I see! It was so clean, I thought it was vectors :shock:
But of course working big only has advantages if you have enough RAM :lol:

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I will attempt to get a submission for Faithful Battle Steed in! Don't just resubmit this week's picture Sasquatchii! :lol:
Please do! And now, you know where I got the idea ^^

Anyway, here's my submission for this week (I opted for horse(power) engine :lol: ):
Attachments
MadMax06.jpg