Ens Causa Sui [kinetic, bildung, short]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Ens Causa Sui [kinetic, bildung, short]

#1 Post by Applegate »

Ens Causa Sui
being one's own cause

Now looking for help: click!

Plot synopsis:
What if someone ran up to you, claiming to be God? As far as Thomas is concerned, you'd be crazy if you did that. But despite his protests, 'God' does not give up, and even goes so far as to chase Thomas down. Thomas finds he can't deal with the situation by just ignoring her, and after she declares she'll "destroy the world", Thomas slowly comes to see that 'God' is more than just crazy. She may just be more than just human...

Characters:
[Thomas]
College student in engineering. He favours things that can be explained, and isn’t too hot on religion. One could describe him more as agnostic than atheistic, however. His beliefs are challenged by a girl proclaiming to be ‘God’, and the weird events that surround her.
Likes to eat whenever he has nothing to do. His favourite food is shawarma.

['God']
Student at the same college. She spends her time telling people that she’s God. When Thomas calls her crazy, she insists she’ll prove it to him. An eccentric person who appears to be followed by strange events.
She likes simple food, and especially loves hamburgers.

[Ningrum/Nina]
Thomas’s friend. College student in psychology. She has a hard time connecting to her classmates, so she usually talks to Thomas instead. She’s been observing ‘God’. Tends to be forgetful. Thomas calls her Nina, citing her real name as ‘too annoying to pronounce’.
Adamantly refuses to eat non-rice dishes. Makes an exception for lasagne.

Current progress:
Story:
Done~! (Sort of!) Need to do preliminary editing, thorough editing and fleshing out scenes.

Artwork:
Still a lot to do.

Everything else:
Nothing's been done yet.

Team:
Applegate: Writing, Planning, GUI
Chocojax: Artwork, Editing

Wait a second, didn't I see this before...?
Yep! We tried to release this for NaNo 2013, but due to circumstances weren't able to finish. Since, we've honed and practised our skills, and we've recently decided to pick it back up and finish what we started. We've thrown out everything we had before and are now doing it from the ground up, since we've learnt a lot in one year! We're committed to this second iteration of a story we're both excited about.

Can I help?
Sure! We're still looking for someone to do music, and I could use a hand with editing (figuring out whether the scenes work, identifying the weak points and working on removing those).

What's in it for me?
Our pockets aren't very deep so money isn't an option, but we'd be happy to do a skill trade or otherwise discuss suitable compensation.
Last edited by Applegate on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sopheria
Projects: Witch of the Veil, Spell Regeneration, Obscura
Organization: NA

Re: Ens Causa Sui [kinetic, bildung, short]

#2 Post by Sopheria »

This looks really interesting, you've got me hooked. Love the character designs to by the way.~ Good luck with your game.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#3 Post by Alte »

Fascinating, I'm looking forward to reading it.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

This sounds really fun! Also love the art for it so far :)

Do you guys happen to be Haruhi Suzumiya fans? I was reminded of Haruhi a little bit by reading this :)

If you haven't heard of it before, it's worth checking out! It might serve as inspiration or at the very least good entertainment.
ImageImage

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Applegate »

Do you guys happen to be Haruhi Suzumiya fans?
Chocojax and I discussed the idea and concept of the story at length, and between the two of us, I think we came up with an idea that's distinct and won't invoke Suzumiya Haruhism. The strongest similarity is probably the eccentric girl proclaiming to be God (with Haruhi just being eccentric), but I think you'll find the similarities end there!

Happy to hear everyone's (still) interested. I intend to finish up the writing today, so I can focus fully on fleshing out the story more. Since we're abstaining completely from narration, it's a very dialogue-heavy story.

ColaCat
Veteran

#6 Post by ColaCat »

I look forward to seeing it! It looks great and I love the abstract feel of the art. Just a note though, on "God's" picture the foot that is crossed over her leg seems to be slightly off. May just be me though.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#7 Post by chocojax »

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! I'm really looking forward to startin' on this project again with Apple. :Ddd

@ColaCat: Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah, it's definitely off from the perspective. Luckily it's just concept/show-off art, so it's not too big of a deal.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Applegate »

Writing: Done!

Well, mostly done. I'm going to have to do some preliminary editing myself, and then find someone to do a more thorough look-over. It feels rather good that the 'only' thing we're going to need now are creative assets! Generously the story adds up to about ~4,200 words right now, which probably feels extremely short to more avid readers. I strongly subscribe to the idea a story oughtn't have more words than is necessary, but I'm hoping to expand on a few scenes and add a few to better bring about the story and make people feel more invested in the characters. I'm sure I've left a few opportunities open.

EDIT: I've edited the opening with a cross-link to our recruitment thread!

ColaCat
Veteran

#9 Post by ColaCat »

No problem, just thought I'd let you know. Looking forward to seeing the full game!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#10 Post by chocojax »

There's a link in the opening post, but we're currently looking for a musician! Applegate's estimating it to be about 5 tracks, and you can see more info 'bout it in the link. (Link here!!)

Here's a quick doodle of Nina's design!

And, I've started on a few of the sprites. Yayy!

ColaCat
Veteran

#11 Post by ColaCat »

Those sprites look great! I especially like Thomas, the shading on his hair and jacket (and everything else) is very well done.